Are instant free techs in general a problem?

I think those kind of bonuses have their place in the game.

For players that want to click on techs or think it removes some decisions making during the game :

If Viking have free wheelbarrow, then you just need to know that when you click feudal age, you are researching feudal age AND wheelbarrow, that’s it.
You still get the decision on when you click freewheelbarrowdal age.

That’s not what ‘temporal’ means though. Temporal either relates to ‘time’ in general, or (more commonly) to matters relative to earth, as opposed to spiritual and transcendental matters (i.e. ‘temporal philosophy’). The temporal world, for example, would not include transcendental concepts like ‘heaven’ or ‘god’ or, as some philosophers would have it, ‘ideas’ like the number two, or the ‘perfect tree’ (that would be Plato saying this).

The word you mean is temporary.

And to answer the question of the thread: I dont mind instany bonuses as much as I mind instant units. The bonus for the former is not even so much the elimination of a technology’s cost but primarily that of its research time. You’re likely to have these techs operating for you while others wont have it, and some civs need that. The exception here is techs from the TC, because those have an additional bonus: villagers creation time freed up. This is why I’d say Vikings shoulf still have to research wheelbarrow like anyone else, but it’s free. Gaining 3 villagers just like that in feudal is pretty huge.