Are there instructions on how to make an Instruction Screen map? (and a few other questions)

1. In the Scenario Editor in the “Cinematics” menu, there is a box where you can pick a map to go with your Instruction Screen. Certainly, there must be formatting requirements for the map to work (eg. size, file type, BMP vs. PNG, etc.). Are there instructions for map requirements available? For example, AOE1 (original version) came with a “Default” .BMP map file that you could easily draw on and use to make AOE1 Instruction Screen maps.

2. Is there a Word Limit for the Instruction Screen Messages? I guess the answer is YES. I converted one of my AOE1 (original version) maps and resaved it as an AOE:DE map, and about 1/4 of the words were missing, and when I tried to retype them, the retyped words would not show up when I saved and reloaded the resaved maps.

3. What does “String ID” mean in the Scenario Editor menus? When I loaded my AOE1 (original version) map that I mentioned in the Editor, there is a “String ID” box in the Player menu set to 0 for Player 1, and another box like that in the Instruction Screen menu that is set to -1.

4. Is it a problem if in the Scenario Staging Menu, the number of Players is either something messy like “214…” or blank? I am circling in red on the right hand of the Staging Menu to show you what I mean. In that particular scenario, I chose “Either” for 6 out of 7 Player in the “Either” or “Computer” selection on the Player menu. Here is a screenshot:

1 Like

]

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do this, friend. You may find something related on this website: Age of Empires Heaven (heavengames.com)

There you can find forums, articles and many more!

1 Like

The AOE HG website has a good primer on AOE1 (original CD version) scenario design. AOE1 (original version) instruction mapmaking is pretty easy - the game comes with a default map that you can draw on for your own scenarios.

1 Like

Recently I have found an article about working with the Definitive Edition Scenario Editor, but I can’t remember if it have any information about the subject you are looking for. It is this one: Map Design Tricks for AoE Definitive Edition | Age of Empires Heaven (heavengames.com)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, ExemptedScarf. Unfortunately, that instruction guide does not give the requirements for making an AOE: DE Instruction Screen map.

1 Like