Are we still gonna pretend Khmer and Teutons are 'balanced'?

Yeah, Khmer needed a buff. No one disagrees with that. Something to help them get to their very food intensive options
They needed a buff not a broken bonus
Even with the slower farming the nerf is not felt at all. Once they get any basic boom going they’re virtually unstoppable - ask anyone who’s played vs them on arena tg. My friend has a khmer 4 tc boom arena pocket build and I don’t recall us losing with it yet. There’s really nothing to stop a post imp khmer army, which is extremely easy for them to get to given that their food bonus is over-gratuitious and coincidentally they don’t have any age up requirements. Normal compositions from virtually any generic civ involving halbs/siege, arbalest/halb dies to really any khmer mix of Elite Battle Elephant and Heavy Scorpion. Getting ahead before they can get their boom off is the only way to stop this but given their myriad of defensive bonuses like being able to hide in houses and being able to farm in distant locations to escape pressure, even in more open maps it can be too difficult against a player that’s competent in protecting his economy. And this isn’t even talking about closed maps like Arena and Black Forest. What do you propose then? Siege monk rush into a pocket’s base and get ganked by their two flanks while you yourself are wide open for an attack and economically behind? That’s practically suicide.
They could be like some civilizations which excel on closed maps but aren’t ideal on open maps - like Portuguese. But the farming bonus and the way it collides with their other bonuses is way too strong - they’re great on Arabia as well, as a result. House bonus protects from smaller and even moderately large raids of knights in wood lines and camps. No age requirement gives them insane capability and able to get by under pressure even more. My team mate even made a 16 pop scout rush build with them that I’ve seen and it’s absurd. It rarely feels like it’s possible to do enough damage to khmer before they outpace you economically, and can do things that other civs can’t and still have a streamlined economy afterwards (like 16 pop scouts…)
Did we not nerf slavs for a similar reason? And slavs are a much worse civ than khmer in terms of options and flexibility. Khmer flank could choose to go either archers or scouts. There is no reason for slavs to make archers outside of surprise factor because it’s un-streamlinable and unrealistic as castle age military, especially against actual archer civs who will have thumb ring or an easier time massing them. Khmer missing late game archer options isn’t really felt because by that time they already have the economy to get to their stronger options - THE LEAST OF being quintessential imperial age units like halberdier/siege or cavalier, and of course their elephant and scorpion compositions which is a gamble to kill once en masse, and it’s not like most ideal compositions which are situationally weak
Mayans have massed archers and eagles - in fights they still CAN die to skirmishers/other archers and swordsmen or knights. With Khmer it’s just not the same. There’s no simple answer to their composition because monks and halberdiers - the usual counter to the elephants - are outranged by the scorpions and halberdiers struggle against elite battle elephants as is - not even mentioning how they’re invariably backed up by scorpions or an equivalent support unit like crossbows.

Is the Khmer post imp composition strong? Absolutely.
Isn’t mangudai/siege ram/hussar strong too?
Absolutely
But I would pick fighting that any day of the week in contrast to fully boomed Khmer because Mongols, even when fully boomed in their ideal composition, have weaknesses. Their lategame economy is terrible and exploitable. Khmer’s is flawless. Several small raids can set mongols behind, but with Khmer they can defend so easily and it barely puts a dent in their economy. You could kill 20 villagers in an assault and assuming theyve already got their upgrades for post imp, can still produce their units easily.

The bonus needs to be nerfed more or be restructured entirely. I’m a fan of the Slavs farming nerf but the fact they got nerfed while khmer have even better farms (there is literally nothing else in the game that compares to the constant food stream they get once they get above 16-20 farms and you cannot convince me otherwise) is laughable. Make it even slower or take away crop rotation - do something because anyone that insists the bonus itself isn’t overpowered as is, is in denial. In recent tournaments they’ve almost completely replaced slavs, in fact. Slavs were often picked on gold rush in 1v1 tournaments and I’m seeing khmer way more.
They are not the only victim of overbuffing, though

Civilization bonuses

What even is this?
Contrast even the number (7) of bonuses with other civilizations
Byzantines have 5, and were a civilization known as having some of the most at one point
They have more than Koreans’ 6, who previously were a civilization with some of the most bonuses as well
However the difference is that Byzantines and Koreans had a plethora of small but significant bonuses to make up for the fact that they don’t have strong economy, nor an economy bonus
Byzantines and Koreans got notable military and defensive bonuses (cheap camels, building hp, tower range) because they lacked a good economy bonus and needed time to get to their open and strong options (cataphracts, arbalest, war wagons, siege onager…)

The balance with Teutons is completely counter-intuitive with this in mind.
The identity of Teutons was always a defensive civilization (despite HD calling them an infantry civilization. Their only claim to that was having the strongest infantry unit in the game from the castle.)
As a result, similar to the byzantines, they had a myriad of defense oriented bonuses - but they had key important notable differences

• They had an amazing economy bonus (With cheap farms)
  • They did NOT have a military bonus that they didn’t need to tech in to

Now in contrast, they get one of the most significant military bonuses in the game (Ever since DE, Frank paladins have fallen so far from being the best, now that they die to lithuanian paladins with relics and teutonic paladins very easily), as well as one of the most significant economy bonuses in the game (Farms are practically half cost. You don’t feel the 6 wood difference when you’re actually playing and slapping down farms because it’s so microscopic) - if that wasn’t enough they have an absurd amount of defensive bonuses per their initial identity. Free murder holes, free garrison healing tech, extra garrison room for town centers and towers to bunker down during raids…
And people are okay with this? People wanted this?
Overpowered civilizations are NOT fun.
Teutons really did not need a buff at all. The funny part is, we haven’t been able to see the overbuffed teutons much in tournaments because the binding patch had a bug for Malay. Battle of Africa and RBW were played on older patches :slight_smile: they still get picked, on open maps no less, and are still very strong - this is pre buff!
Balance should always revolve around competitive play - not just what’s trendy. I’ve seen myself dozens of people here and on aoezone demanding teuton buffs despite there was nothing holding teutons back at all and I can’t fathom why, from a game balance perspective, this was done. They, even before DE were not a bad civ. Just because they weren’t popular with the upper level doesn’t mean they were weak at all. They were (and persist to be since they’re egregiously over-buffed) king on closed maps like arena and BF. There’s very few things they don’t have an answer to. Archers? They have Paladins and Siege Onager. Infantry. They have Paladins, Teutonic Knights, full infantry upgrades on their champions. Siege? They have cavalry and their own siege. Missing husbandry does nothing to harm them if they’re played correctly. They have weaknesses - like reliance on gold and defenses - but that’s not a bad thing. That’s just how civilizations should be designed. A civ can’t be good and able to thrive in every situation (You know, kinda like Khmer who have an even more open tech tree and a likewise very strong economy bonus)
Fighting teutons as a cavalry civ is almost impossible now because if the other player is remotely competent all they really need to do is match your numbers and upgrades. Teutons are amazing at defending and booming under pressure. Now with this extra melee armor on their knights (not even MENTIONING how they can heal faster if garrisoned, how teuton monks can heal farther, or the teutons other reliable anti-cav options like pikes and ttks), it’s even more ridiculous because there’s almost no way to pressure them efficiently AND they have a much better military. Even against strong camel and archer/gp civs like Saracens and Indians, they have an answer for everything with their halberdiers and knights.

I know a lot of people like these changes, but a lot of people don’t. I was upset when I first read the changes but I decided to wait to see how it all plays out. I did. I was upset when neither were nerfed in the May patch. Most of my team personally and folks they’ve talked to on AoEzone agree that these buffs were over gratuitous and I know I’m not alone on this. Buffing a civ should be a little at a time, not such drastic changes all at once.

I would propose that instead of giving them extra armor on their cavalry, make cavalry armor upgrades cheaper or something along that road - and they don’t even need that because their farm bonus gives them an amazing economy and able to make military and tech in to upgrades while booming. I see no reason whatsoever that they should receive such powerful military bonuses when they don’t struggle with literally anything else. with an A++ economy AND defense.
Byzantines don’t have good economy and their lategame options are expensive but effective. They have some of the best defense in the game. Koreans have a negligible economy, their generic options are weak, but their onagers and war wagon compositions are very strong. Their defense and tower bonuses are solid. Contrast this with Teutons, as another defensive civ, who have a perfect economy, perfect defense, and perfect military bonus. With everything they have, the techs they do miss like good skirmishers and light cavalry don’t matter when they have crenellations castles and Boyar paladins
(Yeah yeah, there’s a 2 armor difference between teuton paladins and boyars. Boyars have 150 hp. Teuton paladins have 180.)

At this point it really feels like Cysion saying “we don’t want to be reactive with balance” was a lie

7 Likes

Teutons are now on the stronger side, but Khmer are actually struggling, with only a 38.41% winrate.

there farming is literally slower then slavs.

and this was pre nerf.

I do agree that Teutons need to be monitored closely, though they should be able to be easily countered with Archers + Pikes.

3 Likes

The Teuton buff just wasn’t very well thought through. Contrast the Franks, which have a UU that is a fragile ranged melee unit, and Paladins that are very durable. The two synergize with one another.

Contrast the Teutons, which have heavily armored Paladins and Infantry, and a UU whose main trait is being heavily armored. It doesn’t make much sense

6 Likes

Khmer without bombard cannons are weak to halb SO, I really don’t think they need more nerfs. I think to address the lower ELO games, I’d return the farm rate to normal, and have the dropoff at normal carry capacity instead of the trickle food income, since thats the real problem of Khmer boom.

thats weak to siege

5 Likes

aww but thats the part i love the most.

that’s very true, and i def think teutons need to be SCRUTINIZED CLOSELY.

2 Likes

I fully agree with what OP said about teutons. They really shouldn’t have this insane military armor bonus for free on top of their amazing eco protected by their defensive bonuses.

I propose the following 4 changes:
A. Revert farming to 40w instead of 36w.
B. +1/+2 armor bonus changed to affect siege instead of cav and infantry.
C. ironclad effect changed to +1 armor, effects siege, cav and infantry. Maybe the cost increased.
D. Elite teuton knights armors reduced by - 1 (since they get ironclad +1 now)

-> extra armor in Castle isn’t free anymore and needs research from a castle.
-> In imp it is not rediculous strong with +2 paladins, halbs.
-> their siege still got FU +3 in imp and +1 for free in Castle.
-> Teutonic kngiths have +1 more armor in Castle with ironclad. Elite Teutonic have same armor as before with ironclad.

Teutons would be all about getting a castle for the UT. Not getting this done smoothly is the weakness they currently lack.

4 Likes

Teutons are not that great, you might run out of gold if you try to get all your stuff, their push is very very slow, i agree that the extra melee armor should be only for stable units, not infantry as they already have the ETK.

I pointed out several weeks ago the problem with khmer being completely OP in team games, i would have liked a stronger nerf on their farms and changed the ele speed bonus and integer it with the tusk sword, so they eles would be only faster after research that thing, to give a little more time to other civs to catch in the boom.

4 Likes

Khmer got atleast nerfed. The bc removal is surely felt by Khmer players. I think we need some Teamgames statistics. Really just any general 2v2 3v3 4v4 general win rates would be already a great indication. At the moment I am unsure about khmers place because on 1v1 they seems not too strong but I also FEEL like Khmer on teamgames are too good but I have no data so I would suggest we wait on this matter.

On the other hand teutons have also the highest winrate on 1v1 (for 1650+) which is a indication that the overbuff is true and not just felt.

2 Likes

The normal rate is fine.

The Khmer farm bonus was never broken, it was strong, sure. But not broken

2 Likes

All of these 7 bonuses herbal medicine,murder holes and town center garrison(it does have some benefits but the most of time you dont even need it imo) are absolutely useless in %99 of games so to me rather than 7 bonuses I would call them civ 3 useless bonuses + 4 bonuses.

I think devs trying to make them less of a defensive civ and more of a armored-slow melee push civ of course I cant know for sure I m not a dev after all.

Frank paladin was fallen since the introduction of bloodlines only difference between them and fully upgraded hun paladin they take 1 more hit halbs which their main counter,its actually same with teutons again 6 hits from halbs and frank get husbandry so teutons paladins better in melee but also lacks mobility.As for lithuanians they are relic dependant while frank get their bonus from get go.

So than lets take frank who has amazing dark age eco bonus,above average scout rush and free farm upgrades in FA,free bloodlines knight rush in CA and still have I would say one of the best if not the best(some people favor mobility more others dont but doesnt change the fact they are still very good) paladins in late game which can be created and teched faster as well and as for teutons they dont get any dark age eco bonus at all, on fuedal age they only get +5 garrison tower and cheaper farms and CA onwards they get their military bonuses which roughly makes them basicly same as franks.So all this time no one ever said stuff nerf frank paladins etc I dont understand why people suddenly feel need to nerf teutons while being totally ok with franks.

I disagree

me and also a lot people also disagrees

Cumans use to had husbandry + %10 ms bonus for cav now they got no husbandry because its was very op so but only %15 ms if % 5 difference is that important imagine teutons not getting husbandry(%10) and trust me on cavalry speed is very important far more so than other units.

their knights in castle age and imperials same as franks albeit slower versus pikes/halbs and camels.So you can easily counter just like franks.

I never seen healings bonuses as op at all and here I dare say it they have almost no impact on %99 of games I have seen.

All of this is true but on 1v 1 getting all techs outright impossible for the most part you need significant advantage in order to get better techs(even say you wanted to siege onager and paladins does that really feel easy to achieve) which is very hard get agasint an opponent with similiar skill level.

Forget the gold price you cant even afford food price for upgrades say if wanted to go Siege onager +paladin or champion + paladin or TK + paladin in the best case you can open with a gold unit and than later try to transition into complimentary thrash unit which in teutons case they only have 1 real choice as they get no hussar/light cav and their skirms lack bracer.

7 Likes

i agree about teutons and khmer, this forum was spammed with requests (really guys have you forgotten?) to buff the teutons even when their win rate wasnt that bad… so i think the devs panicked buffed to get all these complaints off their backs…

but your post does not read very well at all, i would have split this into 2 different threads… it becomes difficult to resolve and inherently weakens your argument when you combine 2 different topics… since 1 might agree with teutons but not with khmer…

he is literally talking about team games… so this is irrelevant… as many of us have repeatedly said… khmer is situationally super strong specifically in team games…

lol what? it doesnt mean it isnt super strong… besides many people keep referring to this video, but it doesnt cover all the aspects, the build time/cost of mills, the lost time in moving vils to place the famrs (AND MILLS) in the right places, the effort in defending etc etc a khmer can cover his farms in houses, scattered throughout a forest and be happy that he is immune to raiding… anyone else has to run to a TC besides all the other effort involved

plus the mental effort in placing those slav farms perfectly to get that gather rate… as opposed to T90 to the absolute extreme khmer farms… but yeah lets compare raw gather rate instead… :wink:

where your head at bro? just ROFL…

3 Likes

I still think the solution should have been letting Teutonic Knights build towers. As was pointed out above, 4 of their bonuses are mostly useless in their current implementation. At the same time Teutonic Knights are mostly useless even with their recent speed increase.

Tying the two together would have given TKs a definite niche while utilizing their four unused civ bonuses.

Instead we’ve got a new Cavalry civ instead of Infantry+Towers like was the clear design before the buff.

And that makes me sad.

Well then, Team Games are not balanced by default, since certain civs can stack bonii to units they are already strong with, or cover the weaknesses of civs that are perfectly balanced in 1v1.

2 Likes

Such hate for teutons!

Pre buff teutons were pretty underwhelming. Despite a good farm bonus (which was very close to the current one) the civ had a decent halabs+SO push but nothing more. They were one of the few civs (actually they are) missing both FU castle age knight and arbalest, so basically they were not that confident with both the meta strategies.

What apparently changed them is the armor bonus. Since infantry is not a great choice in castle age, the main effect is on knights. The main strategies in castle are knights and archers.

Vs knights… It is true that teuton knights are stronger 1v1 but they are slower, so you cannot choose if fighting. This limitation is huge in knight wars.

Vs archers well… the armor bonus is not affecting at all.

Clearly the armor is stronger in imp, and also infantry becomes more important. But I do not see a huge power coming from the bonus.

Before teutons were underwhelming, now they are much better (win rates are not relevant since the sample size is too small). Not a top civ imo, compared to, say, Chinese, but a nice pick.

I wouldn’t say this huge need for a nerf. Maybe +1/1 armor but this would just make them closer to the average. And I am fine if some civs are stronger that other, otherwise the first nerf we should ask for should be for Chinese… teutons are strong but not a top pick… maybe Khmer are different

4 Likes

Khmer story is different. They were the weakest civ in the game, paired with Vietnamese.

Now, while Vietnamese got a buff making them an average civs, Khmer got a buff making them capable of competing with top civs.

Are Khmer much stronger now? Yes. They demolish weak civs like Portuguese or Italians. They are pretty ahead solid civs like celts or Huns. And they were not before. At all.

Now they are a top pick, so we should compare them with Aztecs, Chinese and similar. I mean, are Chinese op with respect to Koreans? Yes, Chinese UU should get a huge nerf if you compare it with the Italian one, for instance in the training time. But Chinese should be compared to top civs. Are Chinese OP compared to mayans? Probably they are not.

So now, we should start to compare Khmer to Chinese, and no more to Vietnamese. Otherwise it is obvious that every top pick needs a nerf if the comparison is with weak civs…

2 Likes

I recently switched from my main civs, to Teutons. They are currently very strong, as well as very noob-friendly. They need some nerf, though not that much.

One way to nerf their infantry in imp while preserving the civ’s personality, it to take away squires and supplies. They get strong but slow cav and infantry.

They now have a top notch infantry and close to top notch cavalry in imperial, on top of very good imperial economy and defences. Even gold is not that limiting with their super-halbs covering up their weaker skirms.

Arena players are also complaining about the +1 scouts and the conversion resistance that combo really well.

3 Likes

Being unable to choose your fights is only relevant if the opponent has a way to choose more favorable ones. For example, Teutonic Knights can be hard countered by something faster than them, so an inability to choose their fights makes them functionally useless. And pre-buff, Teuton Paladins were only equivalent to enemy Paladins, so you ended up with an even fight that even a small difference could alter; a good player could typically choose a fight they could win. But now, Teuton Paladins are significantly stronger than average, and despite being slower than the best, they’re still faster than all their hard counters. The enemy can run away, sure, but to what? Just running away until you get back to your base just surrenders all map control to your opponent which functionally loses you the game.

And this effect is much more profound on Cavalry than on Infantry, since Infantry are usually countered by Archers anyway. Thereby making an ‘infantry’ civ even less infantry than ever, and basically just another cavalry civ under the wrong name. I’m down with buffs, but they should be buffs that maintain the theme of the civ.

By the way, I did some research and ‘bonii’ is not linguistically accurate in any language. The proper word in english would be ‘bonuses’, and the meaning in latin is misspelled, and translates to ‘good man’. Just thought you should know.

1 Like

The language has evolved.

1 Like