Armoured Elephant stats speculation

Interesting thought. That could be really good, bringing monks to heal your siege units and if they are converted get them right back.

1 Like

What we know so far. “Anti-building cavalry unit. Resistant to most ranged attacks. Weak vs. melee units. Cannot be converted by enemy Monks from distance.” from steam storepage.

3 Likes

Ah right, so maybe just more of a siege unit that is an elephant and less of an elephant unit that sieges.

1 Like

I don’t think that would be that good, healing is free but also slower than repairing. And since monks heal from a distance you can’t have the elephant shield the monk from building arrows like rams can for villagers.

I guess it will be like a Battering Ram version of the Ballista Elephant. No garrison space. Is healed rather than repaired. Can be converted without Redemption. Can only attack buildings. Takes double damage from Spearman.
Its strength will be in it costing Food rather than Wood, and how this cost synergizes with civs having strong Food economies/armies. Dravidians have super Skirms and super Infantry. Hindustanis have super Hand Cannoneers. Gurjaras have Chakram Throwers. Bengalis could probably protect Armored Elephants from Spearman with Battle Elephants lol.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought of it if we weren’t also getting the garrisoning sheep thing, but is this the year aoe2 finally merges with Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds?

(To be fair, that was just a ram reskinned as an organic creature, this one will presumably be more like an organic creature mechanically.)

1 Like

Haha Cerrabore is exactly what i believe will be Siege Elephant. I think it will work exactly the same. A siege unit under organic creature skin.

1 Like

Maybe it’ll be a unit that does nearly no Melee damage (like Rams), but has Trample damage like War or Battle Elephants. So they don’t really kill Halberdiers immediately, but can still pose a threat to massed units. Probably lower Siege radius than Rams though, maybe higher Building damage to compensate?

From Steam Store Page.

Cannot be converted by enemy Monks from distance.

Perhaps it will be the only elephant unit to get the elephant armor class, but not the cavalry armor class. They would still receive a lot of damage from the Spearman line, but it’d be more balanced.

1 Like

At a distance, yes. But they can still be converted. Which is exactly how Rams (and Trebuchets) work now.

I bet it will have the same damage output against buildings as the ram, it will be slightly faster that an empty ram, cost food and gold
Not sure how good will it be against range and melee damage, difficult to balance
At least the ram could be killed by a group of villagers
If you need Pikes to killed this guys we have a problem

No, if they would have small standard meele attack. Then Cavalry and Elephant armor would serve only for tanking more meele hits.

But maybe they would have entierly new armor class: Siege Elephant, but not standard Battle Elephant Armor class? Then, with some Cavalry armor, they would be more tanky.

I think they will have the same armour class as rams.
I just don’t know what will differ them from rams. Are they capable of fighting at least a bit in melee? Or are they just a bit different in how much bonus damage they receive from units like mangudai, kiptchak and cho-ko-nu?
Do they have less pierce armor so that units like HC or scorps can damage them more?

I think this is where they can differ.

Besides the most appearent difference will be that they are seemingly not able to garrison which is certainly a big difference in their utility.

The only thing we know for sure, which is something that can be hard to balance, is that they’re cavalry.

Armored Elephant

– Anti-building cavalry unit. Resistant to most ranged attacks. Weak vs. melee units. Cannot be converted by enemy Monks from distance.

It’s stated in their description.
Now even if they’re just cavalry and not elephant this means more damage from pikes and camels. So that has to be balanced accordingly. 11 days and we’ll find out.

1 Like

Now that I think of it, weak vs melee implies they still have negative melee armour despite being armoured 11

1 Like

Nothing a few quick briton halberdiers cannot mow down, like any other elephant unit…
“Armoured” elephant my a$

If it sucks, then it’s a real problem because the new civs are missing rams, and 2 of them are also missing bombard cannons.
It means only trebs in imperial age, and nothing to siege in castle age.
I hope it will not suck, really.

2 Likes

You all sound as if the unit is gonna be bad. It could as well be a siege ram equivalent without obvious exploits and thus giving civs that otherwise only would have gotten capped ram better siege. Especially bengalis with their UT and siege engineers (if both apply to these things which I guess they do) might be pretty damn strong.

Past statistics point towards them sucking real hard, because all elephant units until now have been absolute trash in 1V1 and okayish only in BF 4v4 that too only sometimes.

In all likelihood, the EA and the Elephant Rams cost lot of food and are downed far more easily than Rams are.

And apparently that’s because Elephant units are not “power units” like Knights and Crossbows are, maybe MatCauthon3 can explain us the reason better.

The devs have never been so kind to elephants. Most likely this is never going to happen… Even though it should.
Elephant Rams will still die in like 5 pokes (each poke doing 60 damage ofcourse, because why not)

1 Like