At least 1 player disconnects in team games, making them unplayable

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: the current one
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: bourne2believe

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.

On matchmaking TGs there a lot of people disconnect while loading into the game. they get “lost connection to multiplayer” message while everyone else loads into the game. that shows in the loading screen by the dropped player not having his profile icon shown and destroys the game for everyone else.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s how to reproduce the issue:

just try to play this crazy bugged game and try to enjoy it.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE of the game where you encountered the issue.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a SCREENSHOT, VIDEO, DXDIAG .TXT FILE, or CRASH/GAME LOGS (if relevant).

2 Likes

See also Many disconnections after last patch on Ranked TG (files attached) about the same issue.

And in general about disconnects in team games:

4 Likes

This does happen frequently coupled with the related bug of people randomly disconnecting at some later point in time in the game.

+1. This has been happening today for two hours now. Ranked Team Games totally not playable. Many players drop out on loading screen or shortly thereafter. In one 3v3 game, one player dropped mid-match. That was the worst.

Also, non-ranked lobby invites don’t work. However, inviting via Steam or joining via lobby browser seems to work. I was able to play a 2 humans vs 2 AI just fine.

1 Like

Yes the disconnect issues are just breaking the game and wasting a lot of people’s time. Some word from them on this would have helped…we seem to be screaming at deaf walls…

Almost every ranked team game has an immediate disconnect or drop. Also the majority of team games crash on loading and someone needs to restart their game. Pretty unplayable at the moment.

Este error es muy frecuente y es bastante frustrante, antes del parche venia ocurriendo de forma ocacional pero ahora es casi todo el tiempo, peor lo pero es que a nadie del equipo de soporte parece interesarle, han pasado ya semanas y nadie da repuesta. :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

1 Like

For those experiencing issues in Team Games, we could use some additional logs that will help the team determine what sort of networking issue is causing the problem.

UPDATE: Please use the new process listed below!

Thank you so much for the help!

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, it’s good to see that the issue is being taken seriously. Hopefully the cause will be found with the help of the community. I’m on the Microsoft Store version of the game, so I cannot perform the steps you described, but these are my observations:

The chance of someone disconnecting (either at the start of the game or within the first few minutes) seems to rise exponentially with the number of players in the game, independent of the server. There are moments when it occurs more often than on other moments, and seems to occur more often if it’s a game with players from different geographical regions.

Also it seems that the game doesn’t even try to reconnect after the slightest interruption in someone’s connection. The game doesn’t even ‘freeze’ for a moment if somebody disconnects (as happened in previous versions of the game), the player disconnects instantly and the other players see someone dropping without a pause or freeze. This is not the expected behavior if the game has a reconnect mechanism, as the message “Attempting to reconnect” in the screenshots suggests.

1 Like

I tried to do this, game was a lot less performant than usual relatively early in the game (~100 pop each player?), but we managed to finish that one without crashes or disconnects. Then we played another one and my game crashed, then I decided to disable this logging thing (because my game doesn’t usually crashes) and went for another game. In this other game I got the Lost Connection bug lol… Then I just gave up on playing for now.

I’ll upload the logs for the one that my game crashed (with verbose logging) and for the one that I “Lost Connection to server” (without verbose logging) in hopes that it helps
Many hours later I went for a 1v1 game and met the Lost Connection bug around minute 10, unfortunately with verbose logging off, it’s the third link below.

I’m turning verbose logging back on and will share the logs when I have the problem again.

btw since I now have the attention of a dev, can you guys remove the limitation that do not allow me to launch the game in a resolution smaller than 1024x720? Also can I have a full list of available launch options? I want to pursue whatever option will allow me to have better performance.

1 Like

Is there a way to do this in the Microsoft Store version, or is that as impossible as trying to get at the files necessary to make a mod in the Genie?

Yeah they must fix this ASAP, it happened so much, just few seconds then one of the players disconnect, they should make something

Friendly reminder, the problem it is not crashes or disconnects, the problem is THERE IS NO OPTION to reconnect.
All of this would be a minor problem if the devs add a option to reconnect after modem reboot, game crash, etc.

A few question for anyone encountering this issue:

• Do you experience the problem in your first match as a team?
  • Does the problem occur when queuing into consecutive matches with the same team?

The reason I raise this is because the team already has a fix in the works for a rare issue that can occur when queuing into consecutive matches with the same team. This is why I’d like to confirm the exact circumstances of the disconnect/crash you are all experiencing, since it may already have a fix in the works if it aligns with these steps.

Let me know, and thanks again for your ongoing patience and support!

2 Likes

Here is another one, happened now, 3v3 game, I “Lost Connection to Server, attemping to reconnect”
This time I had the logging options you asked for.

Please devs I beg for options to improve performance on lower-end systems as well, I can’t afford to have a better machine and I like aoe2 since 2002, please! Let me launch the game on lower resolutions than 1024x720 and turn off whatever is eating performance in comparison to the original game, I have it all on low/off and it performs very bad compared to userpatch on voobly

edit: in this same match another player that was not me also disconnected but much earlier in the game. In case it’s relevant my game name is Ayase_Chihaya

Oh I have just seen your reply now. Is the first match for the day/since the last time I opened the game counts, or do you mean the first match ever?
Because just now I opened the game, and went for my first match today with my teammates and I did encounter the Lost Connection issue. Sometimes we queue for more games and then the problem may or may not happen again, but it happens a lot. Happens with other teammates as well, and can even happen on 1v1 game, so I believe the fix you describe is not going to fix the bigger issue.

edit: also you described it as “rare” issue, the issues we are all encountering are not rare, happens with a lot of people and very often, so it’s not the same issue definitely! I’m in a discord server with 54 players, different collections of 3 or 4 of us queue for ranked games on a daily basis and I would say around 1/4 of the games someone disconnects, this can happen on the first game, or the 2nd, or the 3rd, or in all of them… Can happen to someone in the enemy team too, it’s an issue that happens often and with many different players.

1 Like

It happens in both rated and unrated matches, so it has nothing to do with queuing. Also it’s not a rare issue, there have been many bug reports about it. I played a few unrated 4v4 matches today, and in around half of the games there was somebody who disconnected. In all cases the game didn’t pause or freeze before the person disconnected (for the other players), so there doesn’t seem to be any reconnect functionality at all, or any attempt to re-establish the connection.

I’m on the MS Store version, so I cannot generate the verbose network log files, but maybe the server logs would tell a lot more.

I’m on a 300Mbps connection and have a 3% drop rate myself, so I mostly see what happens if somebody else drops. Although it happened to me as well.

1 Like

less and less players stay here thanks to this constant disconnection

1 Like

Thank you so much for looking into this. We are eagerly looking for a solution as it is really hampering our ability to play the game. Here are some key points please:

1. This is an issue that happens in both unranked and ranked (as others have also stated). Hence, it can’t be just specific to being queued as a team.
  2. The disconnect time can vary, sometimes at the very start of the game, sometimes 5 minutes in, sometimes 20 minutes in and so on. The timing of the disconnect does appear to be random.
  3. From my own experience, I can confirm that this happens a lot on the US West server (the unranked server that I create lobbies on).
  4. In unranked lobbies, the issue is extremely frequent. There seems to be a more than 50% chance that at least 1 player on either team will disconnect. I can’t speak to the frequency in ranked, but many have stated a high rate there as well.
  5. Thank you for the info on the log files. I will try to put those together and submit as well.
  6. I hope everyone can come together to resolve this.
3 Likes

3/4 matches have a player on the other team drop tonight.
Same as last night. Never seen it this bad.

Also our team needs to re-invite after every game.