At this point do you think the devs are going to add operators on siege weapons?

In medieval era, not all army where big. Invading a city is one thing, keeping it is one other.

Naber nation had tendancy to invade weaken nation, afther they where at war.

It is 2 easy target, has you finish the wining nation and incorporating the losing nation to your empire.

Wall diging was a way to make castle wall colaspse, by colapsing the tunel on it self, the brick wall just fall becaus it has no land suport under his fundation.

Did you know that there was also a smal version of the trebuchet, that was one maned? The men only use brute force to activate it, to trow small objects, has rock, but on a short distance.

It make sens to die after one bullet in your head, but not in AOE because it’s a video game ^^

Probably not. I doubt they’d waste the time on something so unimportant. I also doubt most players even care about it (although a few players seem extremely passionate about it).

It’s also clearly an intentional decision, probably for readability and performance reasons and possibly just because siege crews often look janky. The fire rate on siege is relatively quick so animations of units operating them would have to be sped up. Also, they’d need to be pulled by horses which never looks great in motion (no not even in aoe3) and then either vanish when unpacking or just stand there taking up space.

They already have the golden ghost operators which seems like a good compromise.

2 Likes

Obviously here we are going to find some fanatic people that will agree with everything they do. But the true is that people outside this forum are asking for more detailed units, reallistic proportions and manned siege weapons. Like I said 1000 ppl and the other pic shared 12k ppl… its not few people… I play with many friends and all of them are dissapointed too.

5 Likes

I think it’s a visual decision not an animation one.

3 Likes

Yea I quite like the golden ghosts - siege engines took literally ages to reload. I really enjoy the implication of a long time (same with building a building!) whilst still keeping the gameplay requirements of reloading taking a second or 2.

Falls into the same boat of 1 second of game time being 1 “year”, one of those things they did in age1 to show that we’re playing a representation of reality. Not reality itself.

Quite smart game design to be honest.

4 Likes

They will not add siege crews because they will look terrible and its just clutter.

1 Like

Animations are part of the visuals. Can you elaborate?

I bet it’s a decision to reduce visual clutter.

1 Like

But people want clutter.

You just can’t not clutter a batlefield.

Its suposed to be a figth of survival, not a parade where people say “look at me, i am cool, there is place to click on me and avoid other units”.

Just drag mouse and select unit in the unit list.

2 Likes

I don’t think so, and I hope not. Similarly, I don’t need to see my hands grabbing items or feet walking in FPS games (they’re distracting and affect gameplay in a negative way)

1 Like

I love the gold blue UI. So classy and easy to read, the best of any AOE game so far.

4 Likes

You are rigth my friend. (I am being sarcastic)

Let us all clean up the units on the map and replace every thing whit pixel cube.

I can confirm that nothing will be distracting and that every one will go away.

Players are here to play a distracting game.

its the essence of gaming, to be distracted and have fun.

3 Likes

The visual distraction of siege operators would be okay, imo, in AoE. (And would not really a distraction in and of themselves; so my bad for conflating the hands/feet issue in FPS with siege units so much.) Their negative affect on gameplay is my main issue with them (i.e., length of time to pick up and move or rotate siege unit)

No need for the sarcasm or hyperbole. Just discuss

Seeing your hands and feet in FPS games is visually distracting, though… especially when devs make a big deal of them

Good luck micro-ing your troops in battle !

1 Like

I am more a macro type of person, working whit litle group of units

if i micro, then the army is good has dead.

I prefer double clicking on same units, make them fall back, make litle conter group and go back in the figth that i will win.

I used to do that in AoE2 until I realised even my Magudai die hard to Onagers due to that sort of micro .

“Design choice” is lazy excuse, deep down everyone knows it.

Developers, listen to most players and put your laziness aside!

Ensemble did it in 2005, why can’t you?

If it’s to ignore the community, why collect feedback then?

13 Likes

No, it would break the current design decision and add a ton of new work to create models and animate them, in a short time it is too difficult to do this without problems without the overwork of the employees.

5 Likes

Aren’t they allowing mods to the game ?
Someone will surely be able to then mod operators…
There is a balance between gameplay and aesthetic.
For the faster pace of this new agey4 game (Which i enjoy ALOT). It would be ridiculous to see real life human models jumping around really fast with it constructing to ? no ?