Battle Formations AoE I D

Agree, even just basic formations are fine, no need for fancy stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah, basic line and spread formation.

A compact square if you have just few units maybe.

But more importantly, the melee units automatically in front and the range units automatically in the back, I’m tired of my archers always getting in front of the meatshield.

3 Likes

Yeah, tbh this stuff should have been by default in DE. Kinda silly that we have to ask for such a basic thing in this day and age.

3 Likes

There may be some difficulties to implement it in the old aoe1 code. In the end some things were brought from aoe2 to aoe1, other not, so probably that’s why.

And that’s why I hoped that for the aoe1de they would have used the aoe2 code. It wouldn’t be great for nostalgic reasons, but it would have been the best thing in the end

2 Likes

Macedonians without formations? :smile:

1 Like

What? Macedonians lack temple, not academy! Lol.

He was probably talking about the Persians.

Oh that would make sense, didn’t remember persians don’t have access to academy (almost never play with them tbh). Considering that, the hypothetical formations tech would hardly fit in that building, then.

It would still be possible to add a new tech only available to persians in another building that makes exactly the same, but I guess that would be too much work for a game that most probably isn’t gonna get anything of what we are talking about , sadly :slightly_frowning_face:

Ah you are right! My fault. I ment Persiens. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You have a point! :wink:

But, usually, the Government Center it’s were this kind of technologies are research, like more armour for cavalry, more speed to Academy units and range for siege engines, and so on!

3 Likes

Actually, it makes sense for Stone and Tool Age units to move in messy groups, much like a war band. Formations are a more advanced tactic for when professional armies came to be, so it been a research in the Bronze Age would make more sense, I think!

6 Likes

Exactly
 that’s why I said bronze age in the first place :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Ever since I played AoE2, my wet dream was to see hoplites and legionaries in AoE1 walking in rectangular formations like disciplined troops. I wholly support this idea.

Sadly, the odds are not in our favour, as there have been many threads and remarks about this issue since 2017, and devs never implemented it. Why would they now :frowning: ? They want people to see AoE1 soldiers like primitive cavemen walking disorganizely and AoE2 soldiers like gods. They never cared about AoE1 and its ancient history. Pretty much the only reason why they released AoE:DE was to justify development of AoE2:DE. The second game has always gotten much more love, and by result, much bigger playerbase.

4 Likes

They do look like unorganized children. I agree with units not having formations during the Stone Age, but come on, they need them since Bronze Age! :pleading_face:

5 Likes

Only some units should have formations, and most of those are the ones available since the Bronze Age.
Before the Bronze Age, formations were indeed mostly unheard of. There were not even any actual professional armies before Assyria, for example, and most of the formations we even know of, are Greek.

Therefore, only Hoplites, Heavy Cavalry, Cavalry Archers, Composite Bowmen and Swordsmen, should have Formation options.

1 Like

Greeks may have used specialized formations, but that doesn’t mean that other bronze age armies before them didn’t use normal tight formation groups. Even chariots attacked enemies in some form of formation.

1 Like

Before Assyria, as far as we can tell, there were no formations, only orders of attack.
Formations began with Assyria, and as we know them today only in Ancient Greece.

Units like Bowmen, Scouts, Axemen, Elephants and Chariots should not have formations.

1 Like

How would other units within the selection group move then? :neutral_face:

I personally think it would be best if formations is technology which unlocks formation options for units. So after you get it all units can form formations.

3 Likes

Like they do now.
It is technically feasible, and not even hard to do. Formation Warfare should also be an Academy or Government Center upgrade.

4 Likes