Better play WOL

They have not mentioned Renaissance Age.

Speaking of the Middle Ages. What the scenario trailer doesn’t tell you: Age of Empires 4 will cover a larger time period than the original Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings (at that time about 1100 to 1431 AD), you will enter the campaigns earlier as well as stop later in the Middle Ages. The focus is again on Europe, “but we want to broaden it,” Adam Isgreen says. So, Asia or Africa as additional locations, we ask curiously? The creative director smiles and remains silent. No comment - of course.

From “Gamestar Age of Empires 4 preview” interview

MS has jumped around the timeline over and over again. I expect them to continue to do so. There was never some kind of promise that they would take a brand based on ancient warfare and inject guns and tanks. I have no reason to expect they ever will enter the modern age. If I wanted to play an RTS based on the 20th Century, I already would be doing so.

They made a promise to go further in age, to guns and tanks.
This is a picture that was included in the AOE3 BOX at its release time.
mfE0ns2

1 Like

That wasn’t a promise, it was just the artist playing around, pure speculation on their part like they said.

3 Likes

That was NOT a promise but just a WISH of some dev who wanted to continue in that way. Those who were developing the game would have liked to continue advancing by ages. Many things changed. They were fools by making that picture (AoE3 collectors edition if I’m right) and now we can see why.

@Shinjux3 It’s late anyway they said that’s gonna be a better version of AoE2 I do not see the point to cry on that over and over.

Dont think this is " crying " but well.
Everyone can freely say what they think… Thats what ive done ^^
If you like that AOE4 goes medival, sure why not. I just said what i personally think.

I still do not see the point. After the “X019” we know what they said and what they are working on - we should give our feedback to hep them to make a great game. WW era it’s not gonna happen so I do not see the point to talk about that or continue to criticize that AoE4 will not be the case.

You may be upset but if you are really interested in a new Age of Empires you should focus on what we have and try to provide the best feedback. If there are people who don’t care about the title because it doesn’t reflect their fees, they can also stop wasting time.

The only thing I may tell you is to cross your finger and hope for a new edition in the future or a new expansion that may fit your taste

That ad was purely speculative and has been dismissed by developers. It is absolutely not proof that sequels were ever intended to continue into the 20th and 21st Century. They were just messing around.

Bear in mind that there already was a sequel to AoE3. It was Age of Empires Online and returned back to classical antiquity. The next game in line was Age of Empires Castle Siege, which runs up to the Renaissance.

If this franchise is ever going to breach into tanks and planes, it will be totally unprecedented and bizarre.

The direct quote dismissing that picture appears to be “it was total speculation on our part.

Nobody claimed AoM or AoEO was a clone of AoE1. Nobody claims Civ 2 was a clone of Civ 1. They are now up to Civ 6.

The Devs certainly are free to use whatever time frame they choose, including the 20th Century. But don’t confuse one goofy 13-year-old marketing image as evidence of what they are going to.

I understand the logic on having sequential games. But it has a fatal flaw in that it simply cannot serve as a blueprint forever. Sure, we can all agree what timeframe follows after AoE3. Perhaps we can squeeze out another two games. But then what? What would AoE6 look like? AoE10? Unless they are going to take us into outer space and still try to call this game Age of Empires, they have to break the mold.

The end of the 18th Century is a particularly good time to break that mold. Guns, planes, and tanks don’t translate to 200-population resource scavenging RTS games. Also, and perhaps most glaring, is the unavoidable politicization of any war game set in the 20th Century.

3 Likes

Also, Ensemble Studios (Which it’s on your photo) it’s not developing Age of Empires IV.

Relic Entertainment it’s the actual developer.

AOE3 is largely irrelevant to this day since its release. napoleonic era is hated by the majority of players across all different timelines due to boring outfits, boring guns and lack of robust stories. Feel free to play AOE3, but thank god developers chose to go with medieval. There is also 0 evidence that AGE franchise was intended to travel through timelines with each game, that’s fiction from the part of salty fans.

That’s just your opinion, and a matter of taste. I love both Age 2 and 3 besides their comunities doesn’t like each other. Napoleonic era is not boring for me, and it’s plenty of history on it, tactical battles and more. Not agree with you in this point. History is plenty everywhere at any time and in any moment

1 Like

And cartoony. Lol. May be Disney like.

2 Likes

AoE3 is far from irrelevant. It is still played competitively and thousands of players play it everyday online.

“Boring guns and outfits” dude what? That is totally a matter of opinion. Cannons and rifles make a lot more visually aesthetic battles. History between 1600-1850 is very rich and diverse. Colonization and industrialization to say the least. American Civil war, countless of European wars. Stories about American Natives, East India Trading company, pirates, imperialism.

IMO competitive AoE3 is more fun to watch compared to competitive AoE2.

5 Likes

You are correct about it’s a matter of opinion but 90% of the people would rather look at a badass knight than look at some dude with a rifle, dressed like his grandma knitted the outfit with cloth and some badges on. The majority dislikes napoleonic era, in fact it’s the least liked era amongst all warfare eras, that’s why there’s a lack of them in games and in movies, compared to medieval, world war, and even modern times. Medieval era is by the fast the most favorable by the crowd. Cannons and rifles make more boring battles tbh, they’re like prototype guns, needing gunpowder for reloads etc. They are boring as ■■■■. Medieval offers just a ton more than most warfare eras and its beauty is unparalleled.

Regarding competitive AoE3, it’s irrelevant. Its community is tiny and the gameplay is far worse than AoE2, you might like it and enjoy it more, but that’s the case unfortunately. The only reason AoE3 sold was because of its ‘age of empires’ logo. It became irrelevant to the gaming scene less than a month after. And the competitive community never thrived.

“Badass knight”? Are you 12?

One shot with reload actually works very well in RTS scene. Rifle units are basically reskinned archers that shoot in a straight line instead of curved. Shoot-and-reload. Age of Empires 2 had handcannoneers, AoE3 gunpowdered units are just alot improved version of that. AoE3 cannon and AoE2 mangonel/bombard cannon work very similarly. They shoot a projectile and it kills a lot of units if it hits.

Modern warfare could be a lot trickier because of full-automatic fire. I can still see that WWI/II setting could work in AoE. Maybe in an alternative universe where M$ didnt shutdown its PC gaming studios because they thought that XBOX was omnipotent and PC gaming was dying.

In AoE3 that is a lot more visually impressing because of all smoke, ragdoll physics, 3d graphics etc. When cannon hits building, building actually gets visually damaged. Like when you hit a ship with cannon, its mast can get blown out.

Age of Empires 3 has sold +3 Million copies(in 2008, now maybe 5m? cant find exact info+all expansion sales), so calling it irrelevant is just stupid.

Age of Empires 3 is full fledged AoE-title that chronologically went from Iron age to Rome in AoE1, from Fall of the Rome to the Discovery of America in AoE2 and then Colonization to 1850s in AoE3. It totally has its place in the series, no doubts.

Titles Nintendo DS Age of Kings and Mythologies are more questionable also mobile versions of AoE2/3. Those sold mainly because they had “AoE” logo.

Active aoe3 competitive community:
https://eso-community.net/

Quality content:

But meh, my favourite is Age of Mythology.

5 Likes

Just because it sold 3 millions does not mean anything. It has the name ‘age of empires’ on it. Of course it will sell. Where is the big streaming community? Where are the good tournaments like AOE2? The game is dead. A minority plays it and that’s all. Its irrelevant. Nobody talks about it or cares about except from the very core fanbase.

Also, you calling me 12 because of ‘badass knight’? We play video games, dude. Of course I want to play a badass knight. I am not playing AOE to learn history, I am playing it for entertainment. And knights do look badass compared to the napoleonic era soldier outfits, who look like they are going to dinner in a restaurant in victorian london. I can also answer you back, you play video games as an adult dude? Like, what are you, 12? Your point is beyond idiotic.

Again, because AOE3 has a competitive community, it does not mean anything. Most dead games have competitive core communities, the thing is, who cares about them? Who watches them on youtube and what hype is there? AOE3 has none of that.

Graphics in AOE3 are total garbage. The whole aesthetic looks like brown poo, uninteresting to watch and extremely dull and boring, just like the majority of other RTS who follow the same look. AOE3 was truly the downfall of AOE.

Players online in the last 30 days:
AOE DE: 2.5k
AOE2 2013: 13k
AOE2 DEF: 23k
AOE3: 4k

Yes, nobody cares about AOE3. 3k is a joke number for the most modern game in the series. And that is mainly because of the napoleonic theme and the dumbed down gameplay. Like it or not, this is the truth.

Are you describing the end of AoE 4? Have a very bad starting.

aoe4 hype aged like milk hasn’t it? wouldn’t hurt to see what community already made while developing, good and bad, instead of repeating errors

1 Like

The colonial era is the worst era of warfare, muskets had decent accuracy only up close and used medieval era tactics battalion against battalion hoping for probabilistic success; after the invention of the rifle using the same tactics was a massacre between two masses, there is no strategic wealth, in the battle of Waterloo the strategy was simply to attack a flank and then win in the center.
It was a chaotic time until the stagnant trench wars of the First World War, it was not until the Second World War that the war with tanks, mortars and airplanes became more dynamic; For this reason, I prefer the tactical wealth of the Middle Ages and from there move on to the Second World War with “Company of heroes II”, it has not even crossed my mind to install aoe3, these are my opinions and personal tastes, do not be offended, regards

to be real with you, colonial time is where modern warfare began to take shape, in reality its a cross between what was in medival and later on in WWI and beyond, hence why its not one or the other, opinion is an opinion ofc, also the example is hardly what typically happened, not saying it wasn’t the case sometimes, but this isn’t the common tactic, also its hard to make an opinion of a game that you never even tried (based on your comment), translation, you’re preincetivized to hate smt without trying it, i only started criticising aoe4 AFTER giving fair amount of hours
have a nice day

2 Likes