Better walls?

I know this ain’t the focus of age of empires IV, but it would be cool if you could station units on walls just like in stronghold or settlers VI. In settlers six, walls were sort of designed the same as age of empires III, but you could put archers on it. I am sure there are real world examples of people stationing men on walls for defense in the new world. Seeing how building a wall seems like a waste of resources when units could punch through them so easily.

Hello! if there are walls, it means they are there to be destroyed, because behind the wall there must be something more important to protect. I would prefer to opt for a wall improvement that involves a launching of ballistic arrows / boulders rather than military units.

In games of the total war series, you can put archers on the walls, yes. But the strategy in that game is different from the strategy of the AoE series. First of all you can fight on the walls, and make the walls the “territory” of the game. And then, on total war games, you can not build anything, it’s a rather static game. AoE, on the other hand, is a dynamic game. Build, fight and rebuild. The positions on the map must be conquered and maintained, or lost and reestablished.

Although visually appealing I think the games doesn’t need better or other type of walls. Most times in tough games my walls are backed by palintonons and have workers around to repair defenses. As they indeed seem to be a waste of resources you better keep them repaired at less costs. The same for castles of course. If it means another round of upgrades, then that would be a waste of resources. If they ever would make a real 3D version then I would vote this up.

If is based in modern era, walls don’t work or are useless.

@Augustusman said:

right observation. I was about to write it myself as well. +1

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Augustusman said:

Not necessarily true. Both the Berlin wall and the Israeli perimeter wall are/were designed to keep people in/out, but both could impede the movement of ground troops, especially infantry forces.

And although walls surrounding towns or cities aren’t seen anymore, trenches, pill boxes, land mines, barb wire, steel crosses to stop tanks, and bunkers all have a similar effect to building walls to stop an enemy force.
And all of these, even large concrete pyramid shaped blocks to stop tanks, were are used in the world wars and beyond.

So if they were going modern, age of empires would see use of the newer type of defenses seen in the first and second world war.

@“Orlando Hernan” said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Augustusman said:

Not necessarily true. Both the Berlin wall and the Israeli perimeter wall are/were designed to keep people in/out, but both could impede the movement of ground troops, especially infantry forces.

And although walls surrounding towns or cities aren’t seen anymore, trenches, pill boxes, land mines, barb wire, steel crosses to stop tanks, and bunkers all have a similar effect to building walls to stop an enemy force.
And all of these, even large concrete pyramid shaped blocks to stop tanks, were are used in the world wars and beyond.

so would you put units above the walls?

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@“Orlando Hernan” said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Augustusman said:

so would you put units above the walls?

Well if it was modern era, I wouldn’t allow for units to be put on walls. (If I had game making input)
Any walls built in the modern era are just relatively thin concrete walls… no longer the wide walls that could literally allow a horse to ride upon it… like the Great wall of China.
Instead, I’d allow infantry units the ability to garrison pill boxes, like how they used to in the towers of old games.
Also would allow infantry units to garrison houses, so that each house could become like a weak pill box… this would ultimately set a scene reminiscent of world war 2, whole cities full of bombed out houses and rubble.
Bunkers could essentially be like castles, allowing even vehicles to garrison inside.

I do like the idea of a deeper upgrade system. something like LOTR:BFME II, with the wall hubs and turret upgrades would be nice. I feel like that might restrict the age the game could be set in? But it would be interesting to see what might be the final decision relic will take.

That’s a lot of letters.

@“Andy P”

LLLLLLLLLLLLLOL

Looks like a nice wall to me, except for the big hole in it. o:)

Did you do that?