Biggest Complaint I've Seen So Far

@“Two Letter Sho” said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

However basing buying a game because its on steam or not is pointless… There was time before steam where games could be installed and played without having to go through another platform.

That time is somewhat past us though but I do agree with what I think your point is. I think someone wanting to purchase the game should be able to go to a store and buy a disk that at least starts the setup process for a microsoft/xbox live account easily and straightforwardly. The arguments for why it should probably just be on steam are fair but look at Battle.net! The Blizzard platform isn’t stopping people from getting into Overwatch or Hearthstone. As long as trying to get the game points one toward the right platform to run it through it shouldn’t be a long term problem, especially if the platform ends up hosting many successful titles (again, like Battle.net).

The main issue is people using Mac or an older version of Windows not being able to play. As has been implied, PC gamers aren’t going to go buy a fancier PC so they can get the newest OS from one specific company so they can use the Microsoft store so they can start playing the remake of a game that their 10 year old desktop running XP still plays just fine; the more common situation is PC gamers installing a game, finding it pretty fun and deciding that they want their system to run their new game BETTER.

All in all I agree, locking a majority of potential customers out of even getting the game before they upgrade to Windows 10 seems like a poor decision. I can see Microsoft’s side of it a bit but I think they should definitely look into a version of the “Microsoft store” that can be run on non-Windows 10 systems if they want to have decent sales/playerbase.

You can also have a disc game and Steam would be able to recognize the code to unlock it (entered by the user from the setup disc) and add the game to the library, though not actually selling the game. This way, you can play with Steam friends. But M$ obviously wants this to be Xbox friends only, which is a bad thing when people without an Xbox have to figure out how to set up an account. For a PC only game. Figure that one out.

If AOEDE were going to be played on Xbox, sure. But it isn’t. It’s a PC game. Don’t treat it like an Xbox game. I look forward to playing Sea of Thieves with Xbox players, and I would assume this is not done via Steam naturally. But AOEDE needs to be on Steam. End of story.

@“Two Letter Sho” said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

However basing buying a game because its on steam or not is pointless… There was time before steam where games could be installed and played without having to go through another platform.

That time is somewhat past us though but I do agree with what I think your point is. I think someone wanting to purchase the game should be able to go to a store and buy a disk that at least starts the setup process for a microsoft/xbox live account easily and straightforwardly. The arguments for why it should probably just be on steam are fair but look at Battle.net! The Blizzard platform isn’t stopping people from getting into Overwatch or Hearthstone. As long as trying to get the game points one toward the right platform to run it through it shouldn’t be a long term problem, especially if the platform ends up hosting many successful titles (again, like Battle.net).

The main issue is people using Mac or an older version of Windows not being able to play. As has been implied, PC gamers aren’t going to go buy a fancier PC so they can get the newest OS from one specific company so they can use the Microsoft store so they can start playing the remake of a game that their 10 year old desktop running XP still plays just fine; the more common situation is PC gamers installing a game, finding it pretty fun and deciding that they want their system to run their new game BETTER.

All in all I agree, locking a majority of potential customers out of even getting the game before they upgrade to Windows 10 seems like a poor decision. I can see Microsoft’s side of it a bit but I think they should definitely look into a version of the “Microsoft store” that can be run on non-Windows 10 systems if they want to have decent sales/playerbase.

I agree that it would be beneficial to sell in stores, but nowadays companies see this as an unneeded expense. For me, though, with a poor connection, I’d buy the game in-store and install it that way without having to waste 10 hours or more downloading (while being unable to use Twitch or other online services). Additionally, disc keys are something players can use with their Steam accounts to register the game with Steam, and thus be able to activate the game as such. Steam didn’t sell the game, so M$ doesn’t owe any cut. But players can still play with Steam friends after possibly getting an update to allow that.

My view, as I’ve said before, is this. This isn’t an Xbox game. If I want to play Sea of Thieves, I will expect to be playing with Xbox players and thus have to play off of Steam, and wouldn’t expect it on Steam at all (unless Steam someday sets up such a communication working with Microsoft, which they ought to, perhaps in exchange for some of the sales cut they might otherwise take). But AOEDE is not on Xbox. Don’t put it on an Xbox-related platform. Let me play with my friends on Steam. I don’t have to start over and re-add everyone, and I can see who among my Steam friends even plays the game to offer a match. I can’t do that on another platform. Stop treating it like an Xbox game. That’s all.

@“Two Letter Sho” said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

I agree that it would be beneficial to sell in stores, but nowadays companies see this as an unneeded expense. For me, though, with a poor connection, I’d buy the game in-store and install it that way without having to waste 10 hours or more downloading (while being unable to use Twitch or other online services). Additionally, disc keys are something players can use with their Steam accounts to register the game with Steam, and thus be able to activate the game as such. Steam didn’t sell the game, so M$ doesn’t owe any cut. But players can still play with Steam friends after possibly getting an update to allow that.

My view, as I’ve said before, is this. This isn’t an Xbox game. If I want to play Sea of Thieves, I will expect to be playing with Xbox players and thus have to play off of Steam, and wouldn’t expect it on Steam at all (unless Steam someday sets up such a communication working with Microsoft, which they ought to, perhaps in exchange for some of the sales cut they might otherwise take). But AOEDE is not on Xbox. Don’t put it on an Xbox-related platform. Let me play with my friends on Steam. I don’t have to start over and re-add everyone, and I can see who among my Steam friends even plays the game to offer a match. I can’t do that on another platform. Stop treating it like an Xbox game. That’s all.

(For some reason, my comments are vanishing after an edit. This is my third time posting this.)

@CycloneGU said:
nowadays companies see this as an unneeded expense.

I think they just want more players on their own platform. That’s all.
Why would you lose money to let others play on steam if you could just force them to play on win10 and buy the game on windows store?

Maybe they will fail with this decision, but if somebody buys a game on ws and plays on xboxlive with their friends, there’s a chance that they will buy more games or play more on it. It’s more profitable on the long run.

@Zsombro said:

@CycloneGU said:
nowadays companies see this as an unneeded expense.

I think they just want more players on their own platform. That’s all.
Why would you lose money to let others play on steam if you could just force them to play on win10 and buy the game on windows store?

Maybe they will fail with this decision, but if somebody buys a game on ws and plays on xboxlive with their friends, there’s a chance that they will buy more games or play more on it. It’s more profitable on the long run.

I understand this logic, and clearly this is their logic. But when a game is only a PC game? They need to pick carefully which games they put on which platform, and putting AOEDE on the Windows 10 Store and ONLY the Windows 10 Store is the WRONG thing to do. I myself only tried the Windows 10 Store last nite and found it rather blah, with nothing close to what Steam has in terms of game reviewing and such, though it is nice to see games like Call of Duty in there that can be downloaded and played on PC.

All those big discussions whether is has to be on steam or not.
I’m just here thinking it would be awesome if it came to steam, off topic, I see the Windows store more like an app store… not really a gaming platform? maybe for those who have PC and xbox connected, but I will always choose steam over windows store, steam already has a huge community, you can see all your games (you can even add games that aren’t on steam) you can see all the updates, reviews and such. and most important:
you have all your friends already added… I am really way too lazy to add all my friends again in other platform,
a platform which I don’t think is attractive, I see way too much ■■■■ oh movie here, app there, music and oh look at this dude! Wstone pushes all kinds of related ■■■■ into your screen I don’t like all of that, and I guess most of you don’t like the windows store environment. I just can’t imagine having a little list of games in there where I can easily access to all of my games and friends without a ton of other stuff around it. It’s just not meant for games like AOE:DE… it’s meant for little apps like netflix and Candy crush… I can’t see any community growing in there… but hey… if Microsoft wants to lure everyone to windows 10 with this, fans of AoE won’t like that, and I highly doubt that most people are getting out of their comfort zone (By this I mean the OS they are using) to only play a game that is remastered. Maybe if it was AoE 4 with lots of promises and goodies maybe then they would… but they would still complain about the windows store.

in short (what I think about it):

• the windows store is just not a gaming platform, it’s something else… more like app store.
  • the windows store’s environment is not fitted for a (gaming) community (not easy to chat and invite friends and such)
  • people will not step out of their comfort zone only to get a remastered game (won’t change OS)
  • people will not ‘‘rebuild’’ a gaming community in another platform, just because of 1 or 2 games. they already got one.

@Zsombro said:

@Pykke said:

@Zsombro said:
How can blizzard games be so successful without being on steam?

Because I can find physical copies of Blizzard games in every single store I walk in :slight_smile:

Why is it better than steam?

Because this guy :stuck_out_tongue:

@LegoVogel said:

@Zsombro said:

@Pykke said:

@Zsombro said:

Because I can find physical copies of Blizzard games in every single store I walk in :slight_smile:

Wow! That’s a huge collection! That should be a “Game Museum” for sure.

By the way, many of us do not have the money or need to upgrade our OS to play a single game when there is a ton of games that can run on Win 7, 8, 8.1. I know Microsoft want to catch more people into his own platform but hey that’s not the way to do it, just look what Blizzard does as @“Two Letter Sho” said.

As with all decisions Microsoft, the fact that initially it will not be on Steam etc., doesn’t mean that Microsoft can’t change that decision and later market AoE DE on Steam.

I might consider buying it through the windows store if Microsoft can guarantee we will get a Steam code if it ever comes to Steam (which no doubt it will.) But I really hope it wont be like the Elder Scrolls Online where the early investors can’t use the steam version without buying it on steam and merging their accounts. Please promise not to forget your early investors! This is one reason I will not be buying.

Here’s the problem. We buy this game, Microsoft learns they can get away with idiotic behavior. We boycott it, they will say the market for FPS games is not there, and we don’t get AoE4.

I don’t care how I play it.

I hope MS will release the game on Blizzards shop as well.

@KingDarBoja said:

@LegoVogel said:

@Zsombro said:

@Pykke said:

@Zsombro said:

By the way, many of us do not have the money or need to upgrade our OS to play a single game when there is a ton of games that can run on Win 7, 8, 8.1. I know Microsoft want to catch more people into his own platform but hey that’s not the way to do it, just look what Blizzard does as @“Two Letter Sho” said.

It’s kind of your own fault for not grabbing Win10, since it was free for a whole year. Then again, hindsight is 20/20…I’m sorry if you’re locked out from the WinStore for financial reasons.

@Duudsrednaz said:
Here’s the problem. We buy this game, Microsoft learns they can get away with idiotic behavior. We boycott it, they will say the market for FPS games is not there, and we don’t get AoE4.

Voting with your wallet is the only way to vote. I’ll be buying it anyway. Also, since when is pushing your own platform “idiotic behavior”? Look at Origin, look at Battle.net. EA and Blizzard are both pushing their platforms with their games there. The WinStore limit I couldn’t care less about - if anything, it’s the Win10 limit that’s the problem. Also, let’s not forget that Steam was mandatory DRM for Half-Life 2 when it came out, and I’m sure we all remember how well Steam worked back then… /s

@DiveDive3726 said:
As with all decisions Microsoft, the fact that initially it will not be on Steam etc., doesn’t mean that Microsoft can’t change that decision and later market AoE DE on Steam.

Exactly - this could just be a waiting period to attract new potential customers. Who knows? Their game, their IP, their business…

@RWNorthPole said:

@KingDarBoja said:

@LegoVogel said:

@Zsombro said:

@Pykke said:

@Zsombro said:

It’s kind of your own fault for not grabbing Win10, since it was free for a whole year. Then again, hindsight is 20/20…I’m sorry if you’re locked out from the WinStore for financial reasons.

I never picked it even if it was free because I hadn’t a reason to upgrade my OS. But anyway I will buy it as soon as possible to play AOE DE.

@RWNorthPole said:

@Duudsrednaz said:

Voting with your wallet is the only way to vote. I’ll be buying it anyway. Also, since when is pushing your own platform “idiotic behavior”? Look at Origin, look at Battle.net. EA and Blizzard are both pushing their platforms with their games there. The WinStore limit I couldn’t care less about - if anything, it’s the Win10 limit that’s the problem. Also, let’s not forget that Steam was mandatory DRM for Half-Life 2 when it came out, and I’m sure we all remember how well Steam worked back then… /s

You always feel silly, signing up for a platform just to play one game. EA, Ubisoft and Blizzard have extensive libraries to make you feel you’re not going through an awkward process just to play a single game. They also put physical copies in stores. With Microsoft, there are always spyware concerns when you’re dealing with mandatory services to run a particular program. The other publishers also don’t have OS’s and console brands to force on us regardless of our interest. So Microsoft is doing something unique here, not like the others. The reason we should be particularly bothered, is because it’s the same hubris that killed AoE in the first place. They had a perfectly fine PC franchise in Age of Empires doing its own thing, making plenty of money, but Xbox and Halo had to be forced on the gaming market, killing Ensemble and AoE with it.

That said, I’ll buy the game, because kickstarting AoE4 is more important right now than making a point.

The problem with the Windows store isn’t a small userbase, I guess there are more users with access to the Windows store than Steam users.

The problem is nobody knows about the Windows store. For years we’ve been drilled to whenever we want to install something, we look it up on the internet and click the download link on the website. I never open the store, I don’t even realise it’s there (I know about it, but I always forget to use it).

Maybe they could sell the game through Steam, and still make an Xbox live profile mandatory or something like it. But I guess they’ve already looked at those options.