[BLOG] Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition β€” Updates to Ranked Team Game ELO Acquisition

Since i made the big thread about this subject (Analyses of the ratings - Spotting the issues) i have to react to this news.

Great to see changes on this subject. It is really needed. I read it is part of the server maintainance today?! That is every greater!

You made a good explanation of what happened in the calculation and how to fix the calculation. The fix is conform my expections. Taking the average instead of the max will mainly fix this issue. So thanks for listening.

I do have a little remark based of the following comment:

I think this is the hardest challenge in fixing the roots of the issue. After the server maintainance the new calculations wont lead to inflation. But the effects on the current ladders take a long time to normalize. It even has some effects on the 1v1 ladders, because of what is used as starting rating on the 1v1 ladder if you already have a TG rating. With EW coming to ranked, it will even have some effect on the EW ladder that isnt started yet. So i think that those additional steps also needs to be taken quickly (at least before the EW ladders go live). But i do understand it is a tough discussion, since there isnt really an easy fix. All attempts in fixing the ladders, will have pros and cons. I can see three options as possible steps to help the process of normalizing:

1. Full reset of the TG ladder. This will fix the issue, but everyone needs to play their 10 games again before getting a rating and everyone is losing his progress. I expect the first 10 games of everyone to be unbalanced for this reason and people dont really like losing there progress.

2. Rescaling the ladder. By just dividing everyones rating by about 1.5 the average rating will become 1000 again. This way you get rid of the inflation, which is great if EW ladders are newly added to the game. But this fix wont really address the issue of people that now have a very high rating because they just played a lot. It will still take a long time for them to lower their rating.

3. Full recalculation of the ladder based on the new algorithm. This will have the best results for everyone, but it requires the full game history of every account. I dont know how easy it is to recalculate everything for all ladders (since all ladders are connected by there starting elo).

So i wish you good luck wit taking additional steps to help with normalizing the ratings of everyone. Given the blog post i have good hope the devs will resolve this issue fully.

I also like these kind of blogs in which the dev team explains what they are doing. KUTGW!

5 Likes