Buff infantry Unique units when you buff the militia line

That doesn’t sound right, Elite Axemen deal 7 damage to Paladins , even if you have two that’s only 14 damage per hit and Paladins have 160 HP so they take 12 hits each to kill. Paladins deal 14 damage per hit to Axemen, and they have 70 HP so it takes 5 hits to kill one, and another 5 to kill the 2nd one. Paladins also attack slightly faster. Even if both Axemen were continuously attacking they couldn’t take down a Paladin, and in reality one will stop attacking halfway through when it dies.

I mean, I haven’t tested Throwing Axes vs Paladins in a 2:1 ratio, it just doesn’t sound likely unless there are so many rows that Paladins cannot path to targets to melee. I’ll try to remember to do some testing tonight, or if anyone has an example of Axemen beating Paladins cost effectively I’d like to see it.

I’m also not sure 2:1 is a fair ratio. That’s 160 total resources for the TA and only 135 for the Paladin. 5:3 seems closer if valuing food and gold equally. I guess if gold cost is the main factor then it would be up at 3:1, depends on the game stage and if trade is an option.

Just to correct: FU Paladins have 180 HP (160 + 20 from bloodlines)

1 Like

Not as fast as a Berserker, but I agree they should be a little faster.

I think it would be very cool if Samurais were given a “Snare” mechanic like Age 3 has for all Melee Units, but in this case it would be only given to the Samurai and no one else.

I really like the idea of giving Condottieri bonus vs Spearmen & Eagles.

1 Like

I love this idea. But if this is given, forget the cost reduction, both would be way too op.

Just reduce their health if necessary, thats literally all that is needed. Their unique mechanic is so cool that it should remain as is.

Dude c’mon, Karambits are very good units for raiding if you don’t overcommit on making them, this buff would be insanely broken.

A will be ok with a buff to Shotels if they replace that instant training tech, because that Tech actually makes them very powerful as defensive units, albeit situational. Also, no buffs to their Armor/HP, I think its fine to have a glass-cannon type of unit.

Meh, I would give them a minor increase in HP (5) just so they are better at raiding considering how weak Celt cavalry feels, the problem is that Celts don’t need a buff atm, even if the WR is a tiny bit underwhelming.

I like this.

No. I think Vikings should simply have 2 changes: Lose free Hand Cart and Infantry HP to 10/20/30% (FA/CA/IMP)

If you do wanna give Berserk an unique mechanic, it would be necessary to rework the unit because it has very powerful stats atm. And the mechanic I would suggest personally is that they gain more damage as their health lowers, but that would require a a bit of programing and probably doesn’t fit AoE2. (Although you could say that about First Crusade & Flemish Revolution)

1 Like

My full original idea for Berserks was as following:

• Berserks lose the current healing mechanic. Berserk HP reduced from 61 (Castle Age), 64 (Imperial) and 75 Elite, to 52 (Castle), 55 (Imperial) and 65 Elite. When Berserks have less than 25 HP, (30 for Elite), they are replaced with a new unit, the Enraged Berserk. The Enraged Berserk has the same name ingame (Berserk/Elite Berserk) but functions very differently. If healed above the threshold, they return to normal Berserks. The Enraged Berserk has no armor, and is affected by no blacksmith armor upgrades. The Elite version has 1 pierce armor. The Enraged Berserk has speed 1.2, as opposed to 1.05. It has 15 base attack (20 for Elite) and is affected by attack upgrades. This is opposed to 9 and 14 base attack. The Enraged Berserk has a new model, with no shield, the cloak in tatters, and an axe in each hand. The rate of fire also goes from 2.0 to 1.9. The Enraged Berserk keeps the same armor classes and bonus attacks as the corresponding normal version. Berserkergang is changed. Only apply this if adding the Enraged Berserk. Berserkergang now causes Enraged Berserks, when they die, to perform a special death attack. This death attack deals 10 unblockable damage to all enemies in a 0.3 tile radius, and can be improved through blacksmith attack upgrades, or any other attack bonuses. This death attack has a new animation, and cannot be stopped. Only happens if the unit dies, possibly of a melee attack, and doesn’t occur it it is deleted.

I scrapped it from my balance changes list though, but I still think it is interesting. All of my balance changes are here if you want to see some of my other ideas relating to civs and some units.

You do realize that that Berserkers walk at 1.05 speed while Jaguar Warriors at 1?
Regular militia walk at 0.9 for comparison.
Difference is minimal between JW and Berserker.

1 Like

Nope, I’m not that knowledgeable of each unit’s specific values for speed and bonus damage.

Thanks for letting me know.

When playing, Berserkers feel considerably faster than Jaguars, I don’t know how much of a difference those 0.05 have in practice.

Also, Speed should be displayed in the unit stats… C’mon Forgotten Empires (I love you guys btw)

Thats a bit too radical of a change for my taste, but who knows? I also hate Flemish and First Crusade so… :man_shrugging:t2:

There is a site regularly updated with all the units stats, I don’t know if this forum allows links, but you just have to type “Jaguar Warrior aoe2” on google to find it.
A lot of stats are hidden in this game, sadly.
The most important is bonus damage. We know pikemen are strong against cavalry, but how much? Game doesn’t tell us at all.
Back in the days of the old The Conquerors I always wondered what did the Logistica UT do. For such a high price I thought it had to be something really good, but what exactly was unknown to me, now I know, but game should have told better.

1 Like

I agree, and I think this should’ve been addressed ages ago when DE released, it would’ve been such a great help for new players.

Do you mean the AoE2 wiki stuff? Is this the jaguar warrior thing you were talking about?

Exactly that, it’s updated really fast usually, and errors are reported really soon.

23 Konnik beat 37 Throwing Axeman with 30% hp remaining in this video.https://youtu.be/JZ-EAMWh5Yk?t=167

Konnik beat Paladin in equal numbers with a slight advantage. In non-micro 40 TA vs 20 Paladin, TA should perform very well. Micro would change this battle too much. With target fire, TA should beat Paladins without problem.

It isn’t important aspect I think. Franks has 25% cheap castle and Paladins isn’t spammable unit like Hussars because they cost a lot gold.

Edit: Same guy published Paladin vs Every Unique units video and 22 Paladin beat 37 TA with 23% hp remaining. https://youtu.be/vcopOe1pQRg?t=381

Are you sure 20 Paladin destroy 40 Throwing Axeman.

His cav micro on cavs is not perfect - you can see that there are a lot of idle paladins at the beginning.
In ideal world you want to (besides mix in mangonel) use paladin to “intercept” the throwing axeman so that they can DPS at full potential.

For the castle issue, it takes 40/5*17=136 seconds to replenish 40 axemen using 5 castles, isn’t it too much for TG?

Yep, I can confirm that 20 Paladins (Spanish) beat 40 Elite Throwing Axemen. In terms of total resources, the TA is not cost effective against the Paladin (the fair fight would actually be 27 vs 16, which the Paladins easily win). However, if only looking at gold cost then the ratio becomes 3:1 and the Axemen win. Additionally, if you’re talking a post-imperial 1v1 with no gold left on the map, and 100 food = 14 gold, then the ratio is 2.55:1, and in this case 51 Axemen also beat 20 Paladins. Balance seems about right IMO.

Give woad raiders +1 attack in castle age. They should have the same attack as longswords. And the elite upgrade currently jumps attack up from 8 to 13. Too big a leap. 9 to 13 is better considering other uu like huskarl only get +2 attack with elite I believe.

1 Like

Why? Woads already have arguably the best advantage you could give a unit over the Longswordsmen.

But you need to invest in a castle to get them and with longsword buffs what’s the incentive?

Might as well go longswords late castle and transition into champs in imperial. Note that Celt longswords are 15% faster than normal longswords and 5% after squires so it’s not like it’s super slow compared to woads.

First of all speed is far more important then anything else.

Let me ask you this. How often do you honestly see teuton longswords as is? Rarely. That should tell you how much the 1 armor will matter.

1.035 vs 1.38. Totally not q big difference at all.

Oh wait, that’s massive.

The ability to run away because they would lose the fight? :joy: