Buff the infantry and how?

The skill of building forward bases will help you greatly here.

The larger maps you have to be able to just spawn units in the section you need them, trying to move an army from one side of a gigantic map to another to help an ally will almost always end up with both yours and your allies armies dead.

Quick question. So you think aoe2 and 3 are historically accurate games? And if I went to play one of those games I would learn the historic events and behavior of units etc accurately?

No, it’s not about being historically accurate. It’s about being sensitive to the history and culture of a civ. You can’t be historically accurate in a game where the Mexicans are fighting the Japanese on an African map.

But the design of the civs has more depth in AOE3, AOM, AOEO- units and the abilities of each civ are designed with the histories of these civs in mind. It isn’t perfect for the legacy civs, but it’s not like every civ has the same military with a few unique units sprinkled in.

Eco and military are very different for everybody - almost all units for everyone is unique in the expansions. But there is an underlying counter system based on unit type. For example, the role of the jungle bowman for the Inca is taken by the Abus Gun for the Ottomans, but the jungle bowman uses poison in its attacks (so once it shoots another unit with an arrow, the victim keeps taking damage even when its not fighting), while the Abus gun imparts siege damage instead of ranged damage. Both are anti-infantry units that are countered by cavalry.

I enjoy this level of depth, instead of “oh, give everyone generic archers that counter unarmored units”.

1 Like

Aaaah so you want more unique units.

I do wish that games (in general now) would have everything very unique no similar classes, heros, champions, races, civs etc, but there is drawback for it which is balance issue. More simple game is easier it is to balance and more unique things equals more complicated and harder to balance.

If you gonna say previous AOE titles been balanced then no they’ve not been. I had someone saying this to me and when I looked at winrates based on civs then there was 20% difference between last and first so they’re not balanced or well I only checked AOE2, but I know in fact that no game has ever achieved well made balance especially if the game contains lot of unique things.

I understand why Relic has chosen this approach and its good for game while some players may find it disturbing, but in long term it allows game to be more balanced. Even now while we got 8 civs all civs are within 10% margin across the board which is okayish, but at high elo abbasid is falling behin too much.

Balance is an issue yes.

But no, I don’t just want more unique units. I want cultural representation.

You can throw in a lot of unique units and it still may make no sense at all. Like how the arbaletrier is a French unique unit in AoE4. It’s just a translation for crossbowman. And crossbowmen from England also employed a shield for reloading, so why is the arbaletrier a unique unit of the French? And why does only the arbaletrier get to use a shield? I really wanna know.

I don’t like making unique units just for the sake of balance. Like I really think there are some lost opportunities. Why are the knights and lancers exactly the same unit? They could have given the Lancer for Delhi, Mongols and Abbasids different stats and abilities, like how the palace guard is a Chinese maa but quite unique (I like!).

I’m glad you like AoE4 and think the game is good for RTS, but in its current state I don’t think the civs are rich enough for my taste.

Maybe because I’ve never seen AoE as a competition game
 its always been something else for me.

2 Likes

I do agree that would be awesome and interesting, but like you agreed the balance would be nightmare. I can accept this.

I would trade PG for normal MAA any given situation. Sure unique, but trash. Makes no sense to make them squishier and then just faster to run?! I kind of wish they had miniature charge ability to compensate the armor loss. If they run fast then why not give them small charge ability <.<

I can understand that especially when its coming from older title but in general sense its not something that vast majority of players are looking for. They want either experience campaign or play MP in fair and balanced environment

As you said, AoE2 civs are not perfectly balanced but AoE2 still has many more players than AoE4.

It may be unbalanced, but people still enjoy it. Same with AoE3.

Little bit of unbalance is fine.

Also wanted to say that balance doesn’t mean that all civs have the same military.

You can make knights and lancers different units and still balance the civs.

Is there any other way than steamcharts to tell games population?

This brings up an interesting idea: have units and buildings perform similar to their hp bar. When full, they perform at 100% of their original values, when at 50%, maybe a bit more, like 75% of their original, or who knows, maybe just equal to their current hp %

This would make villager repairing and religious units much more important to stay on top of (not that villager repairing bombards isn’t already op)

2 Likes

I think infantry need more across the board health, they get killed too easily.

So then you didn’t actually look into this issue at all. Nobody asking for unique civs wants civs like in AoE2.

This had nothing to do with unique units whats so ever. It was only related to winrates / balance

Yes it does. Unlike most MAA they can actually catch and kill things that don’t want to fight, and they are awesome with Yuan.
You just don’t play with regular MAA, so you don’t realize how incredibly slow they are.

Yeah they’re so great of running to death. Sure they can be fast but it doesn’t make them strong. Sure they catch archers, xbow, MAA and siege or just go around to harass your eco, but at the same time you make few knights / lancers and they’re completely dead and its end of any sort of harassment.

Knights and lancers cost a lot more. They also kill regular MAA just fine, which are easier to catch out of position and run down. Easily countered by spears though, which are super cheap
 Are you complaining that an expensive and cheaply countered unit can kill MAA?

Not at all. Just telling you that you can shutdown the mobility part of PG easily with few knights =) So its irrelevant

You could spend rez trying to shutdown Chinese mobility, but the real threat you need to be preparing for is their slow push.

Slow push indeed but thing about slow push is that you got tons of time and time to think what to do and where to go. Always run small groups of units to chinas economy / focus killing IO’s. One IO kill is much more valuable than killing one villager. Top of that most of us aren’t top tier players so if you kill IO that is supervising clockwork tower then there is quite high chance that it goes un noticed.

The Global 15% movement speed Chinese buff from Yuan dynasty is super strong and agree that its the main threat. However, it is an additional Age 3 landmark and so is a large investment.