Buff to the portughese

Well it matter, and -50% on 2 cavalry, 2 infantry and 2 archer units of upgrades are definitely OP to me, even -33 is too much too.

Maybe, maybe, they could have -50% on the upgrades of just one unit line, like Xbows.

That’s why having the possibility to build them on castle age for less pop would help, you spend more than 14 minutes in castle age to reach imp. And it would be difficult to bring them down with only BR.

Might aswell as get Free Archer line upgrades at that point, which would be very historically accurate, but also very OP.

Yes I though about it too, and I reached the same conclusion, not so much for the resources, but more for the time saved. It would be on a completely another level of the bulgarians’ bonus.
I’m not sold on -50% too.

However, a general buff for the portos would be to give them access to the camel line, to better defend until imp.

There are no camels in Portugal, and even the Moors ditched them after they settled it. It is just not Camel-friendly territory.

Yes but they had a lot of african and east asian colonies in the time period covered by aoe2, so it could be fine, and among all units, camels, with their cost more heavy toward gold than food, would be the one that could benefit the most from the gold discount (55f 51g instead of 60g).
Also if we to choose gameplay over historical accuracy we have to make some compromises here and there.

At the time of AoE2, African were more trade partners and client kingdoms, and our only permanent colonial government was in Malasya and India (Viceroyship), as far as I know.

Discounted Camels is also the Byzantines bonus, so we would be trampling all over them.

250G and 250S is such a heavy investment in the castle age, especially it needs 14 minutes to turn its a little bit influence positive, quite slower than other investments. Then everybody will still take the stone to build TC and the castle since they are clearly more efficient in the battle or gather the resources than Feitoria. Finally, making Feitoria available in the castle age become meaningless totally because it is just not worth it.

Definitely better and smarter choice than the castle age Feitoria.

I still think Ports would be better served, with a buff to the Gold discount.

Yes but they were active in those areas, so they could have used local mercenarys/allied army on camels.

Of course the bizz bonus is a lot more powerful bonus, but it’s more about giving them more counter-units to help them reach imp.

Well of course, it’s more OP too.

I already explained why I disagree on the first post:

Would make more sense to give Ports Eastern Swordsmen or any other Asian Editor unit, then. Ports never fielded Camels, as we never ventured too far from the shore.

We almost did not even field Cavalry, much less Camelry, which is only useful for long, contiguous land empires, with a lot of arid terrain.

A bonus to Pikemen would not only be more accurate, but also make more sense in gameplay, since Ports already have way too many units affected by a single discount bonus.

So, in another discussion you stated that gameplay should prevail over historical accuracy, but here you are against giving portos camels because it’s not historically accurate (and by the way, maybe it’s that accurate, but it’s plausible).
Then you stated that they already have too many units affected by their gold disc. when earlier you propose to buff it.
Dude make up you mind.

Then propose it, we are all here to talk about potential bonus.

Within reason. It is the same as giving them Eagle Warriors.
Ports do not need a new unit, and especially not Camels.

From a gameplay perspective, it would make more sense to give Huns and Franks Camels, and not Ports.

If you want to buff Portuguese counter units, then Pikemen make more sense. Perhaps they should have Squires added in.

Another possible bonus would be to add more attack speed to Pikemen and Halberdiers. Or decreased training time, though I am against this one.

Well camels are more plausible than EW.

With +21 vs cavalry I don’t see the point, also there are already 2 civ (aztec and burmese) who got this bonus on all infantry units.

That it’s the goth speciality.

Camels can force engagements, pikes can’t.
Listen, I’m not saying that camels solve every portos’ problems, but it’s a buff, and they desperately need some buff.

Goths specialty is for all Infantry, not pikes. Evcen then, I am against quicker spamming Trash.

Attack Speed is sifferent than more Damage, which is what Aztecs and Burmese do.

Ports use Ranged units to force engagements. camels would also do nothing for Ports, they hardle ever use even Cavaliers, which are better than Camels at everything, except against Camels.

That’s japs’ speciality.

Until you research ballistics, you struggle to force engagements with range units to, and even so, it’s still more possibilities, they would make the civ more flexible in general.
They don’t even need heavy camels, castle age’s camels are more than enough for helping them.

For all infantry, but not Pikes.
There could be other buffs, like giving ports Pikes a damage bonus vs Infantry, or making them upgrade faster.

Another bonus that has not been tried, and would encorage Fast imp startegies, giving Ports Free Arbalest and Halberdier upgrades.

Castle Age Camels would do nothing for Ports.

Free upgrade (so faster) it’s etiopians speciality, they had free halbs upgrade too, but they remove it since it was too OP.

Onestly I can’t see how improving pikes line would help them, yes they could give them squires, but other than that…

A discount on the tech could work, but free/istant upgrades on archers would be too much considering how they dominate the game now, it would be less OP free ballistics.

Ethiopians lost it because it compounds with the fast firing Archers and Torsion Engines Siege.

Or maybe tank halbs. Give them something like hp bonus would be interesting but do the portuguese really need a buff in imperial age? I mean we need to specify whats actually the bad thing about portuguese. They are weak military? They have no eco bonus? I mean halbadiers buff sounds great but is that really necessary?

They have decent military, but can hardly afford it. I think the best way to buff Ports, is to increase the Gold discount.

1 Like