[BUG] Co-op bookmarking caused out-of-sync error/crash

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.56005.0 7694700
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Playing Tamerlane co-op for 1-1.5 hrs, then tried to save a bookmark from menu and it crashed the game with an out-of-sync error:

Then when restored, it switched players. While I was Mongols and my friend was Tatars before crash, upon restoring I became Tatars and friend became Mongols :confused:

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

This was the first time we tried co-op, so cannot comment on frequency of occurrence

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Launch Tamerlane (#1) co-op, with Player 1 as Mongols and Player 2 as Tatars.
  2. Pause the game right away (F3) to study the objectives
  3. Un-pause and play the game for a bit
  4. Save the game 5 or 10 minutes in (without pausing first) and keep playing afterward
  5. After 1 or 1.5 hours of gameplay, use the menu to save a bookmark (I think I hit the ESC key to access the po-up menu. If that’s not possible, then I used the menu/settings icon in upper-right of screen to access it)
  6. Observe out-of-sync error
  7. Restore “MP Save - Out of Sync Save” game that was auto-generated
  8. Invite friend to restoration lobby
  9. Launch game from lobby
  10. Observe the switch in civs that occurred
  11. Quit match
  12. Restore again and see if there’s a way to switch player civs (there isn’t)
  13. Launch game from lobby and just accept the fact that you have to play as the other civ for the rest of the game, and not do any more saving or bookmarking for fear of out-of-syncs. I started as Mongols and had to finish the game as Tatars

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

A) No out-of-sync
B) No civ switch
C) An ability in lobby to specify/change which player is playing which civ

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

See above

PS: Still wish we could click the Game Build # on the game’s main menu to copy it to clipboard for pasting here, so we don’t need to ALT+TAB back and forth between the game and forum

Keywords for search: “The game has stopped because it has encountered an error and has gone out of sync. A save has been created for restoring. Would you like to exit without viewing the map and final game statistics?”

Hi @Darkness01101 !

Not sure what you mean with “save a bookmark” can you elaborate?

Thanks!

1 Like

do you mean by save chapter? cause I’ve seen those and never knew what those do.

1 Like

Oh, maybe? That could be (and probably is), but I’m not sure. I tried to check, but the game won’t let me launch without the other person joining the game, sadly. (For game restorations, it should, ideally, let us continue them without the other human being present, or put an AI in their place.) If it’s chapters, I also am not sure what it would do. I was thinking ‘bookmarks’ when I saw whatever word was shown in the menu; which we know what that does.

@IkoKnight8151, it will be a while before I can check what I was doing since it won’t let me restore the game without the other person being present. The game lets me click “I’m Ready” and “Start Game”, and plays the Mongols’ music as if it’s going to let me launch without the other human being in the lobby, but then the game actually doesn’t launch. It just keeps repeating the message shown in the chat area here every time I click Start Game. I have a feeling it was “Save Chapter” that I tried to do; if that’s what appears in the menu when doing co-op instead of ‘Save Bookmark’.

Sorry to make a tangent, but the messaging could be improved for when the above situation arises, if possible someday. (Assuming a restored game will never be launch-able if any players are absent.) A message example: “All human players involved in the saved game must be in the lobby and each must click “I’m Ready!” before the game can start.”