Building placement limit?

PLS PLS HELP ?!?!

First time I have played in years, after finally getting in to play -Xbox live sign in problem :frowning: I’m in.
1 big problem, why can’t I place buildings more than an inch away from my town centres!!! I swear you used to be able to place them away from your towns ie start mobile towns and storage pits, but mine only goes green to place very close to the town centre. i cant even build a town centre away from the town centre WTF. its always red on placement unitll its close ??? any suggenstions ???

If you have the fog of war (which is on by default i believe) you can’t place building in it. You have first to discover place where you want to place your buildings.

3 Likes

Sounds to me you’re most likely using the cheat “reveal map” and “no fog” in a non-explored map. This was a thing in the original game that even if you used these cheats the game wouldn’t register it as “Explored” and thus you’re not allowed to build any buildings there. And thus you will get the “red” on placement.

The only way to “legally” achieve it is to set the Map Type to Explored before starting the game.

4 Likes

Did you figure out the issue? It doesn’t occur doing campaigns only single player. I hate it and can’t play like that.

Hi Duke, Would you be able to upload a gameplay video showing this issue and post your PC specifications?

@DUKE3358 / @anon63664082

The user hasn’t been active ever since the question was posted. So it is impossible to ask anything.

And also read my reply. It explains what causes this. PC specifications have nothing to do with this. It is an in-game thing. Not external issue.

Also, if you set exploration type to All Visible, you will still be unable to place buildings further away. It seems the game treats it the same way you would use cheats.

Okay. I tried it out in both AoE:DE and AoE II:HD and can now see why there is confusion. Thanks for the comment @HelepolisAoE.

All Visible for the Map Reveal setting in AoE:DE for single player custom games will not allow players to place buildings in unexplored areas, whereas All Visible for the Map Reveal setting in AoE II:DE for single player custom games will allow players to place buildings in unexplored areas.

With Normal for the Map Reveal setting, disabling fog of war and revealing the map with cheats does not allow players to place buildings in unexplored areas for both AoE:DE and AoE II:HD single player custom games.

Starting a game with Explored for the Map Reveal setting allows players to place buildings in unexplored areas for both AoE:DE and AoE II:HD single player custom games.

Seeing is this is how both the original Age of Empires and Age of Empires: Rise of Rome Expansion worked, I’m closing this thread because there is nothing further to discuss. It seems like changing how the All Visible setting works in AoE:DE is something Forgotten Empires may or should have considered changing to make it consistent.

1 Like