Building range indicators now in game

You can already guess those lines and visualize those in your head. Now you dont have to visualize those in your head, but you can see them in the game. That isnt really a big difference to me.

I get it. Guessing ranges is a skill you think belongs to this game. I personally donā€™t find it that an important aspect of what makes this game fun/challenging, so I donā€™t mind it becoming a default option.

Now the Small Trees mod on the other handā€¦ I will fight to the death to prevent this from becoming a default option in the game! It makes the game so ugly! :smile:

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel. But as so many people is recieving this with good eyes Iā€™m not going to complain.

trueee. Just because of that I refuse to use the small trees. Even when I aim for a competitive approach to this game.

1 Like

Feel free to complain! While, like I said, I personally donā€™t value range-guessing as such an important/fun part of this game, that is of course a matter of taste. There have been all kinds of improvements to this game that have also taken away the requirement of some sort of skill: auto explore has been mentioned before, but also with regards to villager management.

Itā€™s hard to say when these improvements/aides will go too far, and it will be a different point for different people. I remember the old Command & Conquer games had a ā€˜scatterā€™ command for example, that made your units automatically scatter a bit (to avoid aoe/splash damage). Iā€™m pretty sure most people would oppose adding that to AoE, but Iā€™m sure others would welcome it as theyā€™d prefer AoE to have less ā€œtedious microā€.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes
What do you think about the new building range indicator?
  • I think itā€™s great because it helps me save my scout and safely unpack my mass trebuchet army.
  • I donā€™t want it because it is cheating to do all the stuff mentioned above that easily.

0 voters

Finally it will come to the game as an official option, excited!

1 Like

Well, hold on, this is doing something different to the Mandala mod. The Mandala mod just gives a visual indication of the standard ranges, it doesnā€™t tell you what the actual range is, you need game knowledge on top of what it shows you. If they are adding functionality to show you the actual range of buildings, that is going beyond the Mandala mod, and doing something that as far as Iā€™m aware would be impossible to provide via a purely visual mod. That doesnā€™t make it a bad thing, but itā€™s a higher level of assistance, so itā€™s a slightly different debate whether itā€™s ā€œokayā€ or not vs the Mandala mod.

1 Like

Iā€™ve now inserted a poll in to the original post for you and other people that thought there should be a poll.

1 Like

Of course. Mandala simply cannot be implemented to be adaptive to upgrades and terrain, because that would be a data mod rather than visual mod (requiring an upgradable ā€œmandalaā€ unit to be attached to each defensive building). Itā€™s a thing only the official can do.

Yes, but again itā€™s some knowledge within a click. And the indicator saves you a click, and tile counting.

I am firmly against this. Even at high levels, tower placement isnā€™t perfect in rushes because thereā€™s so many things to manage - checking range and counting tiles is a conscious decision you make. ā€œDo I take the time to do this or rely on intuition?ā€ It leads to more dynamic gameplay.

Funny thing, if we had this feature from the beginning I wouldnā€™t care in the slightest, but Iā€™ve seen the games that develop from this firsthand in casted/streamed pro games and itā€™s definitely more fun without an indicator like this when games are developing. The intuition makes it fun, and interesting. It isnā€™t a basic economy management feature, like villager counts or an idle button. Itā€™s an advanced assistance feature. It also isnā€™t like Autoscout - which is terrible at first - itā€™s always an assistance.

It isnā€™t game-breaking, but as Woels put it: it feels cheap. This should never show your enemiesā€™ range, and itā€™s debatable (although I am strongly against this as well) whether it should show range on unbuilt buildings (which, so far, it seems like it doesnā€™t?).

My opinion is if it visually shows the range of your own constructed buildings, thatā€™s fine - it helps you learn where to place buildings by reinforcing your understanding of range visually. It encourages the player to grow in their intuition by physically showing them instead of showing them a number, but without doing so in competitively important scenarios.

6 Likes

??? whatā€™s that kind of poll?
I donā€™t want to use it, but I think itā€™s a great decision from the devs to add it to the core game.
I donā€™t mind if my enemies use it, if they think they need it.

You make a lot of great points. This is exactly why I feel it detracts from the game. I hate how they remove more and more considerations in the name of convenience.

4 Likes

I am implying that I want to use it by saying that.

I am saying I mind because my enemies might have it enabled and use it against me.

Well not all people are completely selfish. Sometimes you see that something is good for a game but you dislike it. Sometimes itā€™s the opposite.
I canā€™t participate in that poll because the poll doesnā€™t include my opinion at that theme.

I like the devs decision besides I will never use it, as I donā€™t need it myself.

3 Likes

And I see already many people voting in that poll against adding it to the core game because they have already installed range indicator modsā€¦

How more disingenuous can you get? Claiming that people disagree with you on something for the game, not based on the health of the game, but because theyā€™ll be giving up an unearned advantage?

Iā€™m not sorry. Thatā€™s low. Sure, itā€™s better that everyone has it as opposed to some having it, but I am firmly of the opinion that nobody should have it at all. That has nothing to do with what mods I do/donā€™t have.

4 Likes

I just have experience with certain type of people. Itā€™s a common behaviour.
I donā€™t claim it is necessarly the case for people already voted, I just say that this kind of vote will exactly trigger people of that mindset.
The vote needs to be set up in a way that it is clear that you can be pro the addition of the range indicator without using it and only against it, if you want all indicator mods to be forbidden.

I wish there was an I donā€™t care too much option, so I voted yes, because I canā€™t say Iā€™m firmly against it. Sounds like a helpful feature for noobs. As for myself, neutral, Iā€™ve played the game long enough to be able to mostly judge how far something will shoot, so it wonā€™t really make a difference to me.

1 Like

This feature is changing pretty much nothing for experienced players, because they already know intuitively the range of stuff. For newcomers to the game, it is a precious learning tool to smoothen the already steep learning curve. This is kind of feature is often already built in games, where you you usually press a key to show the range of units. I really do not get how minor stuff like this gets so much criticism, whereas almost nobody ever complained about actual game changing mechanics like khmer farms, armor piercing units etc.

Those two quotes just tell us everything we need to know about the topic. The two quotes brilliantly show how much the current game is viewed as perfect, and any change will ā€œdestroyā€ it. This goes as far as simply forgetting we have not one, but even two different scatter commands and yet claiming that the majority of players would oppose such a change - which is obviously untrue because again, two different scatter commands ARE in the game and nobody bats an eye.

1 Like