Burgundian and Sicilian Unique Techs

Being able to produce them in TCs will be weird, as they’re already available in two differents buildings.

The spawn number should be reduce like 5-6 by TC, with maybe a cost adaptation depending on how many TC you have (limit to 5). 25 serjeants spawning at one time will still be valuable.

They could also add a long term value with a speed creation bonus for serjeants for example.

I like your others proposals for burgundians UT.

2 Likes

Yeah, scutage feels very meh indeed. And because it feels meh I would like it replaced with something more useful, but balanced. The civ as a whole revolves very heavily around the serjeant and first crusade especially atm. Maybe scutage can be changed to a tech that makes their late-game more viable or makes the civ a little more flexible?

First Crusade definitely needs a nerf in unit spawn amount in some way, but also as it stand I think the civ will be bottom trash tier if it is nerfed too much without some other bonus added to them somewhere else, they just aren’t really good at anything besides spamming serjeants, sure they can do others things, but why wouldn’t you pick a civ that has a bonus for those things instead of Sicilians which do not?

I mean having a narrow focus isn’t necessarily bad, there are plenty of civs where one unit line outperforms everything else so much you are going to use it if you actually want to win the match, but it feels like almost all of the strength in Sicilians is concentrated completely in their UTs and not in their passive bonuses so it shoehorns you into a certain composition even more than Franks or Britons which also get big bonuses to a certain composition but get more general bonuses too (cheap castles, faster berries, faster sheep, better trebs)

1 Like

I think this could just buff the spearman-line, like your spearmen have +4 melee armor. This way it is definitely not game-breaking, while also helping the Burgundians to actually have some unit decent in lategame. To balance it out, last infantry armor upgrade can be removed.

I think this can be changed for better by making it something like: Swordsmen and spearmen can be created at Donjons. It will expand Donjons theme more, while also being a very useful tech in late Castle Age wars.

Overall however, I agree with your point about single-use UT’s. I would like if Cuman mercenaries will be fixed too.

2 Likes

Yeah that one needs a rework of some kind to either change it completely or add a passive bonus of some kind, even if something minor like dropping wood cost of kipchaks by a few each permanently after research - even in 4v4 team games a lot of people just ignore the 10 kipchaks they get for free and never create them, especially since they’re useless if you don’t have archer upgrades and 10 micro units aren’t as good in general once you’re that far into the game

Yes, or maybe get them trash Cavalry Archers or, at least with decrease in gold cost. They lack bracer anyway and that way Cuman Kipchaks can have a competition with CA’s. Right now the tech looks kinda clumsy with it’s execution.

I would propose the following changes

1. Paper money additionally increase trade unit creation speed by 100%

2. Mercenaries additionaly allows the researching cuman player to train an additional free unit every 2 minutes (Stacking so you could sage them up if you wanted to) allys do not get this.

3. Burguand farm tech does not one time transfer food to gold. Only keep the gols trickle and lower the tech cost

4. Burgund Revolution does not transfer vills. Tech allows flemiah militia creation in town centers at a similar speed as goth perfusion infantry (if marauder is a fine tech then so would be this).

5. Sizilians crusade, spawns 7 units per town center up to a maximum of 49 units with 7 Town centers. Actually this is the only one time tech I like in the game. Atleaat it’s impaktfull (unlike paper money or mercenaries) and interesting but still not all in like the Revolution and easier to estimate if worth it for the player.

6. No idea for the second sizzilian tech. I just don’t like it at all. Can be compete waste of gold (losing gold with too few units) or very good with teammates large armies. But hard to gauge as player. A noob trap. I would like a compete replacement.

2 Likes

People have went out of their way to ignore Cuman CA since the game was released, even when the kipchak was overnerfed into the ground and steppe husbandry still made them spammable 5 times faster.
Now that kipchaks have a frame delay and that CA have a smaller one there is 0 excuse to keep ignoring them every game.

Your other ideas sound good but I kinda don’t like the idea of free units for the rest of the game. It sounds like free res but even better.

I am all for these proposed changes to the unique techs as well, but not sure if Cumans need an added boost though, aren’t they already super strong with one of the best economies strong cavalry and a strong unique unit? Sure the tech is one-time and useless but because it doesn’t scale and has a much more muted impact than the Burgundian and Sicilian one-time techs it doesn’t have the same problems as these techs.
Second Sicilian unique tech I think should just be completely changed to something completely different. Better/worse paper money is super unoriginal and unexciting. A bonus for their serjeant or infantry line would be better, or anything that’s not one-time and not a ripoff of an existing tech.

2 Likes

Nice ideas. Let me modify them a little bit after my own taste:

1. Paper money increase trade unit creation speed by 100%
  2. Mercenaries enables allied players to train kipchaks from the castle for a reasonable cost of gold.
  3. Burguand farm tech does not one time transfer food to gold. Only keep the gols trickle and lower the tech cost
  4. Burgund Revolution does not transfer vills. Tech allows flemiah militia creation in town centers at a similar speed as goth perfusion infantry (if marauder is a fine tech then so would be this).
  5. First crusade renamed and reworked into something of lasting effect. Maybe moved to Imperial Age and make it allow serjeants to build siege workshops or castle or smth like that.
  6. No idea for the second sizzilian tech. I just don’t like it at all. Can be compete waste of gold (losing gold with too few units) or very good with teammates large armies. But hard to gauge as player. A noob trap. I would like a compete replacement.
2 Likes

Top notch trolling. Almost necro a thread, just to insult someone?? :thinking::thinking: Take your own advice buddy old pal.

I agree on this. But first crusader can just be tweaked. Adjust cost based on number of TCs, 5 serjeants per TC,capped at 5 TCs.

So it’s cheap but gives only a small boost in small games. But scales with late game.

Especially if the imperial UT was reworked into something viable.

2 Likes

Could you please describe how you think the proposed changes are so so SO much worse? And could you let me know what about the new Techs are interesting and what the theory crafting applied to them is?
Regarding your claim that I am a guy who got my *** kicked by these techs, then I tried to use them and they didn’t work, let me remind you, if you read the full post instead of having your troll mode immediately activated, that I explicitly mentioned the new techs are not always OP. They are either useless or OP, depending on the situation they are used in.
If you cannot tell me what about my proposed changes is flawed nor can you explain what about the new techs you find interesting, I suggest you stick to what you do best, reading posts instead of contributing; for it seems you have very little to contribute.

1 Like

Took a little over 2 weeks for the new civs to get nerfed and some people were saying it would take months.

5 Likes

They need to adjust cost of first crusade based on number of TC’s.

So that it becomes really usefull early castle to late imp and proportional

Here are my ideas for the Burgundian’s unique techs:

CastleAgeUnique Burgundian Vineyards:
Upgrades farms to vineyards and allows farmers to slowly generate gold in addition to food (maybe also higher work rate for farms?).
Farmers get a new working animation for collecting the grapevines from the visually upgraded vineyards.

Unique-tech-imperial Flemish Revolution:
Grants villagers a small bonus damage vs. cavalry and allows the training of flemish militia at town centers with fast training time (doesn’t change existing villagers and new villagers can still be produced alongside with the flemish militia).
Villagers get a new attack animation where they now attack with a goedendag (the spear-like weapon the flemish militia is armed with) instead of a machete.

The mentioned visual changes would be nice to have, but are not absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

I think nobody will use the tech like that. I would rather the UT be relatively cheap and grant the ability to upgrade villagers to flemish militia for a small cost, which is however proportional to the number of upgraded villagers. Simultaneously, nerf the stats of the militia, they are still too strong atm.

1 Like

Why not? Giving villagers a small anti-cavalry bonus damage could help defending from raids and with fast-training-time flemish militia you can defend even better. I just don’t like to have all-in mechanics like this in the game.

This is an intresting technology by itself. Could work as the only effect for the tech, but I doubt the devs would want to discard the concept of the revolution

3 Likes

I agree these new techs don’t give the AOE 2 feeling. and are so out of place in my opinion.

• Farming trickle of gold is cool and lets say it immediately changes 1000 food into 500 gold.
  • Flemish revolution converts all in TCs and castles garrisoned villagers into flemish militia and not ALL over the map. So you garrison them and research the tech. and also should be a bit weaker they are champion + pikeman in one unit.
  • First crusade should give you 10 serjants to train freely in every TC. But still they could train fast but wouldn’t be instant. and also every new TC build could have 10 new inside.
1 Like

Hope that’s dirt cheap

3 Likes