Byzantines - Balance Poll

Hi, just a simple poll to test where the community stands on the somewhat controversial topic of Byzantines balance. For an in depth discussion please refer to the various existing topics on the argument.

Please state the nature of the desired update (one vote):

• no changes at all, Byzantines are perfectly balanced as they are
  • -200 F for Elite Cataphract upgrade. Let’s fix this for a start!
  • substantial cost reduction (> -200 F) for Elite Cataphract upgrade and/or Logistica
  • they need more changes than cost reductions only (e.g., Bloodlines, +1 PA for cataphracts, Greek Fire reworking, free Town Patrol, new bonuses … )
  • devs surprise us! (Khmer’s farmers style)

0 voters

Thanks!

• “substantial”: a max of -800 resources, F+G, in total between the two technologies
  • “they need more changes …” to be intended “they need more/different changes …”
3 Likes

I would like to vote for -400 food for elite Cataphract upgrade but I can’t go for substantial cost reduction (>-200 F for Elite Cataphract upgrade and/or Logistica) because that could mean -1000 food for both together or even more like someone suggested lately. You have to clarify what you mean.

3 Likes

Byz need more viable cataphracts. I discount about 500 resources I guess (for the elite, since logistics is a super good UT). Everything else is balanced about them

3 Likes

Nice poll idea , hope someone sees this and fixes the hardly viable Cataphracts due to their costs

1 Like

Cataphracts are perfectly viable. Just expensive.

1 Like

In my mind -400 F perfectly qualified as “substantial”. In fact that’s precisely what I had in mind, plus, maybe, a -200 F max for Logistica. I weren’t aware that someone asked for even more. Substantial yes, but still reasonable :grinning:. My mistake. I’ll correct, thank you.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t discount Logistica without taking anything from Byz, as it is one of the best UU affecting UTs in the game.

1 Like

The poll cannot be edited after the first 5 minutes, so I added a note.

I would like a +1PA for cataphracts. By the way, Byzantine’s paladins are useless and seldom appear in multiplayer games(so much cost for golds which are used to recruit cataphracts). So I prefer to exchange paladins for bloodlines. :grin:

3 Likes

As for the camels, I think the cost reduction can decrease to -15% or -10% for balance.

1 Like

No, Byz Camels are already balanced.

3 Likes

I mean if byz could reasearch bloodlines, the low-cost camels need a re-balance perhaps. Sorry to make it unclear.

1 Like

They do not need Bloodlines, Cataphracts already have a huge health pool.

In my opinion, give the cataphracts (non elite) +10 hp and decrease significantly the cost of the Elite upgrade. Also, decrease a bit the training time. Note that even like this, catas would still lose to a generic FU cavalier.

Logistica, I don’t know. Perhaps just a small cost reduction, perhaps it is not necessary if cataphracts become less expensive.

1 Like

Hi! welcome on the forum. Yes, in the case Byz should gain Bloodlines at the very least they should loose the Paladin upgrade.

2 Likes

Of course my topic :smiley:

• Elite Cata cost reduction -400 F
  • Cata +1PA
  • Town Patrol Free
  • Greek Fire additional effect - Castles, Towers and Trebuchets gain bonus against Siege. 13% of basic damage.
4 Likes

Yeah, you definitely inspired one of the options! :grinning:

I also have, i think, nice idea for new Civ bonus. It will be very in-line with Byz defensive style, but it can be also for other civ. This is:

• Cavalry can garrison in buildings.

Cavalry can already garrisson in Castles.
Do you mean that garrissoned Cavalry adds to the Arrow count?

1 Like

might mean towers and TC

2 Likes