Byzantines buff september suggestion

Archery range and stable units gain +2 pierce armor +1 in castle +1 in imperial

Cataphract gains +1 pierce armor

Team Bonus: increased monk heal speed bonus from 50% to 100%

1 Like

Byzantines are a solid civ that doesn’t need this kind of buff

15 Likes

Edited the stable buff to include archery range units, this will make them the general opposite of the teutons’ buff of infantry barracks units and stable units physical defense, except it’s archery range units and stable units’ pierce armor instead to keep them from being too similar or too much like malians

Added in another buff from someone else’s thread I agree with +100% monk heal speed team bonus

For October Persian buff: I suggest War elephants +10000 HP. War elephants were really big and scary

16 Likes

That’s pretty strong buff. Would probably making this civ OP.

3 Likes

In a team game it would make my teutonic healing fortress even more powerful healing-wise, and makes the byzantines more useful since the cataphracts are currently weak to arrow fire and need a small buff to help, and/or have other options to reduce losses, especially the stable buff is wanted in any case

They don’t. Have you ever played AGAINST cataphracts before suggesting balance changes ? Once upgraded they are top contenders for best unit in the game.

5 Likes

Concentrated archer fire mauls them.
+1 pierce armir concentrated archer fire will still maul them, but we’re buffing against grazing archer fire to increase survival odds so they might return more often to be healed by monks. Reason: cataphracts are expensive, very expensive, you can’t really spam them

that’s kind of necessary, seeing as Cataphracts counter their normal counters.

Viper considers Cataphracts one of the best unique units in teh game, once fully upgraded.

2 Likes

There is good reason why cataphracts are expensive. But at the moment they are quite nice since the upgrade costs are way cheaper.

1 Like

We have this discussion about the Byzantines about 2-3 times a month in this forum…

I am still of the opinion they should get either stone walls in dark age or the fortified palisades tech :laughing:

Anyways, Byzantines are doing fine in high level games, especially on some maps other then Arabia (like Baltic for example…).

The only time where Byzantines fall short is in low to average Elo games that last less then 30min… There they have quite a low winrate

Therefore: do not give them any lategame buffs, there already fine there!!!
They only useful buff would be one to the early game. But only something that is useful for average players and that’s ignored in pro games…

3 Likes

this doesn’t bother me. we shouldn’t balance around low skill people anyway.

2 Likes

I am not sure what kind of games you play where it’s a regular strategy to heal your cataphracts - I’m sure it’s fun to play - but now imagine you’re playing AGAINST cataphracts in PvP against a good player. Balance suggestions should be designed for competitive play not for creating an unit that has no weakness and stomp the AI.

Units are supposed to have counters to encourage creating multiple types of units. That’s why Byzantines have full upgraded skirms that cost -25%.

3 Likes

I use the teutons’ 29 teutonic knights, 21 hand canoneer, 10 monks, square formation, stand ground formation for teamplay alongside other support unit compositions that fight alongside it, its best use is for teamplay and works wonders having healing speed increased by the byzantines and works well with the byzantine cataphracts by healing from longer ranges to boot as well as to heal other ally units on the fly on the front lines.

1 Like

The only further buff to Byzantines I’d ask is free town patrol

15 Likes

I actually support that.
It is a slight buff.
It is a buff to the early game (Feudal Age).
It probably affects the average player more then the pro.
Great.

1 Like

Actually town patrol is a castle age tech, Byz do have free town watch, the feudal tech

3 Likes

I stil say byz deserve blood lines. With Cata - 20hp.

Everybody has been buffed with numerous tech additions on top of civ bonuses. While byz have received almost nothing.

The cata is great but it requires stupid amounts of tech and time and is still heavily bottle necked in a castle.

Blood lines allows byz to play different options besides just trash spam on top of their camels being much weaker in comparison than they used to be before almost every other civ got buffed (eg boyars, leitis, teutons)

And so what if worst case scenario byz actually start competing for s-tier :scream::scream: we must be stuck with mofo mesos dominating the table forever and ever?

1 Like

Wild dream of mine: Byz receive Parthian Tactics on top of bloodlines (let’s be real if they just received PT without bloodlines people would keep making arbs 11) In history the Byz adopted some mounted archery technics from all the nomads surrounding them. It’s the reason they are mentioned alongside the Mongols in the CA section of the AoK manual (for once it gets an history point right 11) But in AoC Byz CA got left in the dust which is kind of a waste. Of course there must be some kind of gameplay justification so here it is: Byz are supposedely the wide tech tree civ, so patching that gigantic hole in their archery range would reinforce that. It would also mean 3 civs get full archery range tech tree but who cares, it happened before (after Indian got ring archer armour and before they lost arbs) and no one was bothered.

2 Likes

Well after 2 months, we can conclude the cost reduction in upgrades for elite cata didn’t change a single thing, byzantines are still far from being pickable, the reason the civ is still behind on eco and army composition, we are all ok if the civ doesn’t get any economy bonus, but at very least make their cavalry usable, byzantines needs bloodlines and an obvious reduction in cata HP and maybe remove heavy cav archer.

The town patrol also gives nothing to the civ to improve their weak army, missing bloodlines and blast furnace is gg, no one will use the their cavalry having civs like indians, berbers persians and now lithuanians, several civs have superior cavalry composition, yeah i know the troll is about to jump, cata is not a stable unit so keep it away, cata castle stats are so mediocre, no one will use them in real skilled games, the civ should be playable in team games like it was once back at the aoc civ balance.

With imp skirms and lithuanian skirm, (aztk and britons as well),their skirm is just generic despite the cost reduction, goth, burmese, slav, japanese halbs,etc, also make the pike line below the average for lacking the last attack upgrade, the camel, well berber camels are 40% better being just 5% expensive, so bloodlines fills that gap, their hussar,paladin and camel now becomes viable without breaking the meta, removing civ identity or making the civ OP.

5 Likes