Can you please remember Random Civ Option or not?

Why is it not true random? 11 You play random unless you play against a civ picker. So if it was your call you play random civ. If you don’t care about having a bad civ matchup, sure go random no matter what but I get annoyed by that.

That might be true for you but it’s pretty 50/50 for me.

Picking civ then clicking random doesn’t prevent a bad civ matchup if the opponent picks civ. Because you can’t see which civ they picked before the game starts, so you it’s impossible to know if the civ you picked is a good civ matchup or not.

Ofc you can still get bad matchups. But the likelyhood is waaay lower. I play a lot of arena and of you go random while your opponent picks, you’re likely up against turks, Bohemians or teutons and 80% of the civs have a bad matchup against these. Doesn’t happen nearly as often when both players go random. When opponent doesn’t go random you can play a top civ yourself.

It s funny someone here thinks that civ pick violating sportsmanship while smurf is alright.
LAMO

I don’t understand the problem with picking a civ. Why don’t you want to let players play what they like?

In ranked 1v1, I always do that. In my opinion, civ diversity is much less important than map diversity. Every rotation, I look at the maps and, for each of them, I choose a civ (or maybe two) that I’ll play on the map when it pops up, more often than not with a specific strat or at least opening in mind. There are eight civs I play regularly and hence know relatively well: Vikings, Mongols, Japanese, Persians, Italians, Celts, Turks, Britons. With such a set, I gave a decent option for nearly every type of map, without having to memorize the techtrees of 39 civs.

Granted, my ELO with this approach is likely a bit higher than it would be with Arabia-only random civ, but who cares? It’s just a number, that merely helps to find appropriate opponents for the matchmaking. Nothing more, nothing less.

3 Likes

I think it’s funnier that the sanctimonious guys who were on here complaining about civ pickers all went mysteriously quiet when we figured out that they were not true random civ players. As in, they pick civ then only choose random civ as a backup option.

1 Like

The high numbers of civ play rates doesnt at up so i am pretty sure its 80% picked and less random because overwhelming numbers can be nullafied by going random so its an even Distribution

I think it’s a higher ratio of random players the higher you go in ELO

1 Like

i think it seems more prevelent that people choose strong civs for their strat rather then going random even in higher elo

Well, im only 1500ish and i’d say 7 Out 10 Matches are random civ, which is nice. I think let people Play what they enjoy. I pick a civ that I want to Play/enjoy playing and enable that random civ thingie and im fine with that. I mean civ really dont Matter that much at the 1400-1500 ELO Level. So yeah, let them Pick i dont care. Only makes me stronger when i Play against Franks often.

3 Likes