'Caravanserai' Should Belong to Persia, Saracens, Turks, Not India!

There are a million paths to achieve civ balance. But only one History. First make it genuine, second solve balance. Aztecs having trebs is a prime example of lack of imagination in AoE… It shouldn’t have been so.

Agreed.

Definitely Turks -and Tatars- as well. The coolest caravanserais in the world are in Iran, Turkey, also in Uzbekistan (Tatar).

2 Likes

Yeah, caravanserai should garrison and heal all allied trade units, instead of making them Formula 1 trade carts. And this building ought to belong to Persia, Arabs and Turks instead of India.

Why? Yeah, sure, in reality travellers went into the building to spend the night. But in reality, all travelers need to stop and rest at some point. Giving them a building to rest in makes travel safer and more comfortable, and lets the travelers start their next day better rested. On an economic scale these buildings improve and speed up trade. These buildings were not designed as refuge for traders in times of war, they were constructed to make travel safer and maybe a little faster.

Am I a fan of the current mechanic on a gameplay level? Too soon to tell. But on that level I don’t really see the point of letting trade carts gather in the building either. That would just make trade even less raidable.

5 Likes

Well first, faster trade carts just completely nullify all melee units, that’s all. While still dying instantly to focused archer fire. Makes melee units even worse than before.

Second, the mechanism itself is not that important. Caravanserai is a thing of Persia, Arabs, Turks, Tatar, more than India.

Perhaps, give the Hindustanis the second team bonus that the allies can build Caravanserai too, except for the Portuguese since they already have Feitoria.

First, this makes it a bit more accurate, which allows allies like Persians to build Caravanserai.
Second, it doesn’t affect the balance too much. It just changes the situation from Hindustanis afford all of the cost, to everyone can share the construction cost together.

Perhaps. Just Perhaps.

Genitours are (in the medieval timeframe) a thing of Spain and Portugal more than the Berbers. Hand Cannoneers are a thing of China more than Berbers, Bohemians, Burgundians, Byzantines, Dravidians, Franks, Goths, Gurjaras, Hindustanis, Italians, Japanese, Khmer, Koreans, Lithuanians, Malians, Persians, Portugese, Saracens, Spanish, Tatars, Teutons and Turks. And Flemish Militia are… complex. But you could argue that they’re more of an anti-Burgundian than a pro-Burgundian thing.

The developers were doing a new expansion, they were looking for ideas, and they found this. I vote we see how the idea shakes out mechanically before adding it to a bunch of civs that may not currently be perfect but aren’t in the worst spot either.

4 Likes

Actually Caravaserai makes meele units more important than before, because you need to destroy this building first, to slow enemy trade cards. And is not very practical to destroy buildings with ranged units, and also you cant take siege for raiding, because its too slow.

Hindustani are not Indian they are a mix of Persian Tatar and Turk,just look at the leader names.

8 Likes

Hindustani feels more like Pakistan then the main India we know of. Altho in a way it does make sense. Sindh belongs to modern day Pakistan after all. In Medieval times a big portion of India did belonged to Mughals/Delhi Sultanate. Culturally using Indian theme like Temples instead of Mosque despite Muslim leader names.

1 Like

were you also complaining when Italians received the ‘Silk Road’ tech?

6 Likes

No they’re not. Caravanserai is a thing of Persia, Arabs, Turks, Tatar as most people here acknowledge.

What do you mean “no they’re not”? The game literally says that they are mainly Muslims from modern day Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran controlling large parts of India. I get that most people in those regions were Indian but their rulers at the time came from Turkic and Persian regions

7 Likes

Totally support this. it should be a regional building for all middle east civs. However, It’s fine for hindustani to have it, imo.

2 Likes

Then China should also have it.

1 Like

Stop giving everyone the potentially OP new toy for a moment please. The whole point of a unique thing is that it’s unique. Yes, in the real world things appear in a lot of places. That does not mean every civ gets every thing.

9 Likes

No because historical East Turkestan (Xin-Jiang) was never a part of China.

Ok easy just give Caravanserai to Persia then. Of course not to India, please…

1 Like

Did you look at some maps of the Tang dynasty, especially the earlier one? (Which is definitely in the AoE 2 timeframe, other than AoE 4) They did control large parts of today’s Xinjiang and the silk road and in some cases they went beyond its modern borders. They even fought the Abbasid dynasty for more control over it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not here to explain or justify any kind of modern policies but you’re just wrong here.

Do I think the Chinese should get acces to the caravanserai? No, but some kind of trade bonus would make sense I think.

Does it matter that Obama was born in Indonesia? It’s still the USA. So yeah, it’s still India. ‘Hindustanis’ merely replaces ‘Indians’ in the new DLC.

‘Caravanserai’ building must be assigned to Persia, Saracens, Turks, Tatar. Not India.

All the famous caravanserai are in Iran, Turkey (and Egypt, Uzbekistan) and it’s an inherent part of the culture. It’s as simple as that!

1 Like

I’m not that familiar with Indian history but after some reading, to me it looks like they’re not referring to the caravanserais on the silk road but to the ones on the grand trunk road through India, where the Mughal empire built a lot of them. If that’s what they mean they definitely belong to India and it also makes sense that they’re an imperial age building.

6 Likes

Hawaii. Hawaii is the place that is still the USA. Indonesia is another country with roughly the same population as the whole USA.

Part of the Malay civ, if I’m allowed to oversimplify a bit.

3 Likes