Castle age University Tech: Belfry

I still use town bell because I can’t send the garrisoned villager “back to work”. On HD there is a button and I can press that. For whatever reason, I can’t fine similar hotkey in DE. Idk how it can he done. If I ungarrison they just all go to rally point.

There should be a ‘back to work’ button on all garrison buildings once you have villagers garrisoned in them. Right next to “Ungarrison all Units.” You will not see it until villagers are garrisoned.

I don’t like this. Towers, aswell as they are no good defensive play, are often placed all over the base, to make it anoying to destroy and raid the base. This is bad Gameplay. Giving them “back to work” would render them officially as base defender, which they are not.
Towers are for Map Control, The Idea is to enable them again for exactly this purpose not render them for purposes they aren’t designed for and just annoy the attacker.

A good player will always be able to crack towerflooded bases, it’s just annoying to play against this turtling stile.

Actually Belfry is also an expression for a special tower placed in middle european castles, the “Bergfried”. Unlike the Keep, the Bergfried had no usage until the Castle was taken by combat, then all important people retreated inside it, capped the single connection (mostly a wooden brigde to the (lords chambers) and protected so themselves from the plundering.
As the Bergfried was inside the Castle, it was very hard and usually not worth it to lay Siege to it, also because it would take so much time, there would be high risk of relief troops to arrive during the SIege.
So the Bergfried or Belfry bought time for the castle holders to wait for relief to fight back the attackers even if the attackers were nuch superior to the defenders of the castle.

That’s what I refer to.

Belfry can research in tower is a good choice maybe?

You mean for each tower?
I’m not sure if this is optimal, considering that this would make it even harder to get extended map control with towers.
On the other hand, if you are more likely to hold the control of important ressources, you have more available to upgrade most map control towers with it whilst defensive placed towers aren’t usually worth upgrading it. So it might be a good solution.

To clarify, I did not mean that there should be a new button; I meant that he should see the button once villagers are garrisoned. The button already exists.

To your point, however, towers are absolutely defensive. The very idea that you find it annoying to raid them is the point; they are an investment in solid defense, just as you invested in a more mobile raiding force. If the argument is that towers are for map control, I agree, because what part of the map would you want to control more than your own base? Even forward towers guarding resources are defensive by definition. They can be used offensively, yes, but they are definitively defensive structures. If you dislike your opponents getting towers up around their bases, you just build rams. Or faster raiders.

1 Like

Yeah Towers are almost useless against the best raiding unit, the cav archer.
Against a bit push, towers are destroyed very easily.

Towers aren’t a good defensive play. Only if you have forward ressources in feudal you don’t have an option if the enemy pressures you. Then its also more an act of desperation than a good defensive play.

I know many people think, towers would be good for defense, but it is much more valueable to have a good defensive comp because you can react to the enemy agression, whilst towers can only stand where they are and their damage output is quite low for their cost.

No, it is a very bad idea.

1 Like