Chat delay

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 40874
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Messages typed in in-game chat, whether 1v1 or TG, have a delay that is about 30 sec to 1 min, sometimes more. The delay is somewhat random, resulting in messages being displayed in wrong order even.
Other players, be it opponent in 1v1 or team mates in TG, don’t have the delay.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play a game
  2. Type stuff in chat
  3. Wait…
6 Likes

I have the same problem with chat, on any server :expressionless:

It’s propably related with message server (each message before being displayed is processed by server), so if it’s far from you (you have high delay) then delay between type and display is noticable. But there were other bugs related with messages processing in the past so im not sure.

I’ve had this problem here and there too, though it was more frequent in the first days after the last patch

Sometimes people who were playing with me had this delay also, sometimes not. Usually in TG I tell my team that I’ve this issue, and it takes so long to deliver the message that I start to think I’ve been ignored by everybody before the message appears. Hope it’ll be fixed in next patch.

Any acknowledgement of this bug from the staff? Seems like a rather “easy” bug to investigate…

You can try blocking the chat filter as a test. In the past, the chat filter was sometimes responsible for chat delay. However, I would only do this as a test, because it will also mess with other parts of the game, like not being able to browse mods.

I vote for fixing the chat system to have zero lag or closer to it. Even before this issue, any chat message you typed lagged by like 0.25 or 0.5 seconds. Not only do you get the annoying doorbell sound, but the lag, too. Chat feels so sluggish, and pales in comparison to the lightning speed of messages (and cool chat sound) of AoE2: HD and earlier. Happens even when not signed into Xbox and trying not to get the oppressive chat filtration. Chat lag might be cool on a 2400 baud modem, but not in 2020 :slight_smile: The responsiveness of clicking a villager and moving him or her is faster than chat responsiveness before this issue.

solution is above by zetsu, chat filter is causing the delay.

Its still occuring and annoying, remove it

Indeed the solution provided by Zetnus above does remove the chat delay for me. Much enjoyed. I applied the updated solution (as of July). Thank you for the kind help.

But this is a somewhat dirty trick and it does interfere with other functionalities of the game, so I still think devs should try to fix the problem.

Cheers

I have the same problem sadly. Even if I don’t have lag in game with 43 ping I still have a very big chat delay (around 30-60 seconds). That can be a little bit frustrating in team games.

1 Like