Chat won't work and jam the game

Press and hold what?

@Qaex said:
Press and hold what

What he means is.

You need to change the key to send a message to another key (so it is not anymore enter)
After the first message you send (so starting the second, when the bug start to show) you have to press the new key you set up and then hold it while typing your message.

Tried and it works … guess it’s still a workaround while waiting for a fix, still sad.

@kinzo said:

@Qaex said:
Press and hold what

What he means is.

You need to change the key to send a message to another key (so it is not anymore enter)
After the first message you send (so starting the second, when the bug start to show) you have to press the new key you set up and then hold it while typing your message.

Tried and it works … guess it’s still a workaround while waiting for a fix, still sad.

Tried it again but does not work for me…the second time i try to type the message the game freezes even if the new hotkey is still being pressed, no matter for how long

I’m so pissed about thoses bugs. FIX THIS !!! Or give my money back

@Totalste said:

@kinzo said:

@Qaex said:
Press and hold what

What he means is.

Tried it again but does not work for me…the second time i try to type the message the game freezes even if the new hotkey is still being pressed, no matter for how long

Tried a bit more, it work perfectly in solo game, but no luck on multiplayer games.

@kinzo aaand if on multiplayer the chat does not work ( not even in lobby ) it is indeed a huge problem. Last night I was in lobby with a chinese dude ( who didn’t have the chat problem, for some reason ) and he was repeatedly trying to ask me something in chinese charachters, while I wasn’t able to respond that I did not understand his language!! :smiley: I surely seemed kind of an a***ole to the poor guy……

@Totalste said:
@kinzo aaand if on multiplayer the chat does not work ( not even in lobby ) it is indeed a huge problem. Last night I was in lobby with a chinese dude ( who didn’t have the chat problem, for some reason ) and he was repeatedly trying to ask me something in chinese charachters, while I wasn’t able to respond that I did not understand his language!! :smiley: I surely seemed kind of an a***ole to the poor guy……

Yes if you encounter the bug in game you can’t talk even in lobby afterward. But if you don’t talk in game (anyway the bug will no let you do it) then the lobby is bug free xD

I agree it’s a big problem, i am sad it is not even worked on (or no official statement about it at least)

My tuppence worth.

I realise this is an MS hosted forum, but how often do you get a remedy from complaining in one?
Sure, there will often be some folk who have found a workaround, but in this case there isn’t yet and I don’t expect there will be.

It’s reasonably clear that the bug is in the OS, not the game, so there’s even less likelihood that it will be fixed if we all complain in here instead of in the Feedback Hub that is far more likely to be monitored.

Earlier posters have encouraged users to upvote on the Feedback Hub, several reports have been made there already and I just added my own. The point I’m making is that if every complainant in this forum were to upvote every report on the FH, at the same time adding their own report, MS will become more aware of the extent of the problem. For example, 500 upvotes on 500 feedback reports, all stating virtually the same thing is sure to get a response.

If you do decide to use the FH, be sure to replicate the issue too. The more information they have now should hopefully lead to a faster fix.

Hi all, I have the same issue but I know a workaround, its annoying AF but it works. Once it freezes press control alt delete (task manager) then go back and it will unfreeze, then save the game, exit the game, open saved game and enter another cheat. Its sooooo annoying but at least you can continue your game.

I also find sometimes it would lag really bad, anybody else get this issue? I have a powerful pc without anything running so i doubt it would be my end. (i7 16gb) - So many bugs in this game! Sometimes ships won’t move past each other, and horses just stand around without attacking sometimes… very odd.

Ok, many of you clearly hate the fact that the game freezes when you try to chat. Follow these simple steps and youll be able to fix the issue inside a lobby AND in-game

Go to Settings > Region & Language Settings

Add a language > pick any language, Japanese seem to be the most popular one

Go play AoE

When your game freezes due to chat, Alt+Tab in and out

Press Win+Space bar to toggle between languages

Repeat this as many times as necessary until chat unfreezes

I’ve ALSO found that if you start the game out being able to chat, pressing F8 allows you to chat with your allies/enemies without freezing the game

YOU ARE F*&%ING WELCOME!

2 Likes

This is a joke, I just went back on the Windows Store and changed my review from 4 stars to 1 star.

The in game chat is annoying but (although I shouldn’t have to) I can live with it all be it I come across as ignorant with my fellow team mates but the biggy for me is the lobby crashes and if I try chat in there it hangs the game and only way out is force closing.

I realise its the last Windows update that broke this but this is a Microsoft game so they should prioritise a fix, the last update also broke my old version of MS Office… Tossers!

The only way to get this fixed IMO is to keep complaining. Get some press, keep posting, review the game as 1 star, talk about it on twitter, etc.

The entire Age franchise is getting hurt here, not just Age DE. It’s a no brainer: if a customer gets burned on Age DE they won’t be buying Age 4. There are tons of programmers at MS capable of fixing this problem. The fix itself is probably fairly simple.

4 Likes

Tons in other stuff like halo, like Minecraft, like Rareware, like Windows, Xbox, etc.
The problem is that… the numbers of RTS lover.

Have same issue. What the ■■■■, it is present in the singleplayer mode too.

1 Like

I found a workaround that avoids the game freezing altogether :slight_smile:

F3 to Pause the game, then while paused ‘CLICK’ the chat button TWICE on the top right instead of pressing enter or the hotkey and you should be able to type freely. F3 to Unpause. Not sure if this will work in multiplayer though, I’ve only been playing single thus far.

You’re right! it does work!

Changing my Language preference from English to Japanese… Fix’s my chat in the game thank you dude.

I shouldn’t have to do this… Microsoft should fix it but they won’t. There is a slight chance they will fix it and just not f*&king tell anybody as per usual.

THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM, CHAT WORKS NOW

Has anyone found the fix or has Microsoft failed to update or fix the issue?

This is a joke. I literally cannot talk to ANYONE because of this.

I’m asked things during the game, I can’t even answer or anything. “Do you have wood, red?” Can’t even reply to this, no i dont have… im out of wood just like everybody else.

People will say things in the lobby like ‘are we going 2v2?’ I can’t reply, I would say yes but welp… they just keep saying “Red? 2v2?” “Red? 2v2?” I got kicked out in similar situations because of that.

I can go on and on about all these annoying situations. I can’t even type 11 and 19… so I can actually laugh.

1 Like

Having the same Chat freeze issue and cheat codes don’t work as a result