Chinese Bug List

Hi I recently made a post detailing all the issues with the Chinese civilization in AOE4 that you can find here and I suggest reading through it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe4/comments/qp77pz/everything_wrong_with_the_chinese_civ_from_a/

Among them were bugs I have not found in the bugs subsection, which I’ll now list below.

• The construction speed bonus for keeps, towers, and outposts is +33%, not +50% as advertised (walls seem to have the right construction time)

• If you have auto-tax on, as is the default, an Imperial Officer will abandon the building it’s supervising if it is carrying 20 gold. Instead it will go return that gold to the TC and auto collect tax. This is why IO’s sometimes sneak away from their designated post.

• The wheelbarrow upgrade reduces the amount of tax gold that resource drop offs generate by 33%, because they return to their resource drop offs less often. Internally, you should make the tax collected a float instead of an int, and just display an int. With the wheelbarrow upgrade, this would mean that villagers drop off 1.5 tax each time they return resources. Right now villagers always return 1 tax gold no matter how many resources are dropped off.

• The granary building tooltip says it gives a 15% bonus per nearby granary, but the buff icon if you select the building says it gives a 10% bonus. I created a private sandbox and logged the resource collection of this building in multiple scenarios over 5 minute periods and have confirmed that each granary only gives a 10% bonus. But that’s not all, because it still could be a 15% bonus. You see the granary is a large 4x4 building, but has a 2x2 drop off point, meaning there is a longer walk time than a normal mill to return food. So either it is only a 10% bonus and the building tooltip is wrong, or it’s 15% bonus with a longer walk time mattering and the selected tooltip is wrong. Please clarify the tooltips and fix the longer walk times.

• Chinese farms harvest food 5% slower than other civs for reasons detailed in a Spirit of the Law Video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvsA3wVNyI

The Nest of Beens does not do the damage advertised by it’s tooltips.

Please look at this video where a friend and I compared magonels to nest of bees against groups of archers. It’s quite clear which is better. Mangos vs Bees.mp4 - Google Drive

The result was thus.

• Mangonels and Nest of Bees have 3 rings of AOE damage with their attacks.
  • The Mangonels has the intended damage and damage fall off you’d expect.
  • The nest of bees is supposed to deal 64 damage at it’s center, but it only deals 50. It also deals even less damage than the Mangonel in it’s 2nd and 3rd ring, meaning it has a much harsher damage falloff than the mangonel.
  • 3 Mangonel shots clearly kills more archers than 3 nest of bee shots.
  • If you add in that Nest of Bees has 1 fewer attack range, takes 5s longer to produce, it’s cost is more geared towards gold than wood, and it’s attack is over a longer period of time, giving the opponent more time to move their units away, the Mangonel is clearly better than the Chinese unique siege unit Nest of Bees.

Please fix these issues. Thanks!

1 Like

Auto-tax sometimes carry 1 gold and make the building cooldown to 30s. It’s weird AI. I have suggestion to solve this problem. Don’t set the building cooldown to 30s and make the cooldown proportional of the latest tax. If officer carried 5 gold from A building then the building have 7.5s(5*1.5) cooldown(Maybe you should make the cooldown at least 5s not to make Officer moving between one building to Tc carrying every 1 gold.)

I would like to add the following to the list.

The Nest of Beens does not do the damage advertised by it’s tooltips.

Please look at this video where a friend and I compared magonels to nest of bees against groups of archers. It’s quite clear which is better. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L_luykQ9ocI6BaAd5UQUR0M5PkIbdCZ0/view

The result was thus.

• Mangonels and Nest of Bees have 3 rings of AOE damage with their attacks.

• The Mangonels has the intended damage and damage fall off you’d expect.

• The nest of bees is supposed to deal 64 damage at it’s center, but it only deals 50. It also deals even less damage than the Mangonel in it’s 2nd and 3rd ring, meaning it has a much harsher damage falloff than the mangonel.

• 3 Mangonel shots clearly kills more archers than 3 nest of bee shots.

• If you add in that Nest of Bees has 1 fewer attack range, takes 5s longer to produce, it’s cost is more geared towards gold than wood, and it’s attack is over a longer period of time, giving the opponent more time to move their units away, the Mangonel is clearly better than the Chinese unique siege unit Nest of Bees.

Please fix this issue with the Nest of Bees.

2 Likes