Choose Colour

I hope the ability to choose player colour is added soon after launch, its not a biggie, but it adds much more variation and character to game, especially since a lot of the units, especially archers and pikemen have much of their uniform represented by the player colour. I also really like to choose colour based on civ and if I cant be the Holy Roman Empire in yellow ima be real sad. Also if all the campaigns you just play as blue vs red I think thats a mistake, the variety in colours in the aoe2 campaigns added alot to them, like how the Byzantines would always be blue/purple or English red, Mongols orange/yellow etc

14 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. The British in blue and the French in red is so cursed

5 Likes

It also seems strange to me that the enemy team is all red - even if multiple players, they are all red. I wonder what the reason behind that is. Maybe an argument could be made for that because of realism - they are enemies to no need to differentiate them. But we are playing a game and it is helpful to know which players remain in the game, and enemy team colors can help when communicating with your other team members (“everyone attack orange”).

1 Like

There’s a setting where you can turn on unique player colors, but you can’t choose who’s what.

2 Likes

You can actually change that in options so that each player has their own colour. It was the same in Company of heroes, same devs.

But i 100% agree with OP option to pick a player colour is such a basic feature that should be added. It should have been in from the start! Seeing French in red fight English in blue just feels so off to me.

3 Likes

Well, it would be OK to represent a bunch of French traitors fighting against a bunch of English traitors.

Maybe they can merge and become the Normans. :wink:

I always host a ton of custom games, which means i am always player 1 which means no matter what civ i play i’ll always be blue. Sometimes i like to change my colour with each civ. I am sure competitive players don’t care, but it’s something that needs to be in custom games.

2 Likes

Ok thank you, good to know for that. So each player can change that setting and it’s not something chosen in game setup such as by a host for a PvP game?

Yep its a personal option, because player colour is decided by player number. So player 1 always blue, player 2 always red etc.

Being blue all the time feels so bland, I don’t know what kind person thought it would be a nice touch if they removed color selection. Honestly…

I would say choosing a color it’s like a mandatory thing in a rts game isn’t it? I don’t remember a single rts game without this feature except for aoe 4. This shouldn’t be hard to implement let’s hope they get this into Monday 15 patch.