Civ Concept - Nubians

Both would play the same way.

No, Nubians would have proper cavalry, camels, defenses, monks. Trash siege in exchange, only archers in common. I guess you don’t mind that 4 Euro civs next to each other play the same.

I hate that. I just want to see something to cover more inner Africa rather than the Muslim west africa and christian East Africa that are already covered.

It was a normally sized muslim invasion, the first battle of dongola had roughly the same ammount of muslim troops as the battle of Tours, and in general they were pretty big states. The nubians held a larger population than England, Hungary, Vietnam, Bulgaria among others

Nubians were just prosperous kingdoms for most of the game period. In terms of the civ design Nubians would have both good archers and good cav (prob a camel bonus too) unlike Ethiopians

3 Likes

It is not covered enough, still. Nubians, Hausa and Songhai are needed, but I also want Central African civs like Kanembu or Kongolese.

2 Likes

Didn’t Ethiopians have good cavalry and camel in History as well? I think Devs made Ethiopians stable trash for balance reasons or turn them into African Britons (another Arbalest + Halberdier + Siege civ).

Ethiopians didn’t have special archers, they used bows like everyone else. Torsion Engines didn’t exist in Ethiopia either.
Ethiopia had exceptional infantry, decent cavalry, war elephants and later gunpwoder.

1 Like

I estimated so. Game Ethiopians is irrelevant to historical Ethiopians. Ethiopians gameplay design is mostly copy of game Britons.

We dont need any more african civs in the game. 2 is enough!

And “rare achievement” is still an understatement. The defeat and subsequent Baqt treaty was so humiliating to the Arabs that there were several attempts over the next few centuries to reword the treaty to look like they had the upper hand.

@AbledManatee867 This imo probably happened because the FE team didn’t expect the game to be so successful and last so long. So they inserted the possibly only “suitable” civs to represent Africa in the game. That would at least explain the Ethiopians and Mali’s “exotic” UU. But I hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Are you serious? There are dozens of civs that could be added from Africa, and you genuinely want none of them?

3 Likes

They’re not interesting, have 0 written history, have no real buildings, have extremely undeveloped military. Stop trying to add bad civs in the game just for the sake of diversity.

That’s a very Euro centric view to take, and one that hasn’t really done any research into this. Now, I’m probably not the best person to talk about this, but it wouldn’t surprise me if one of the people who really does know what they are talking about shows up and addresses this. Besides, just because they aren’t interesting to you doesn’t mean they won’t be for others. I’m not interested in more Euro civs for example, because I don’t believe they can bring enough cool new stuff in comparison to some other areas.

4 Likes

Africa certainly wasn’t a vital part of the gold and salt trade, no not at all!

6 Likes