First, I looked at the current civ pool and searched for regions that were underrepresented in the game. From there and from the forums it was very clear to me that there should be new Civs based on Africa.
Now that we’ve narrowed down our Region. It’s time to look for Civilization in Africa that flourished in the Medieval Ages. Some of the great powers not currently in the game includes: Nubians, Songhai, Ghana, Somalis, Songhai, Shona, Swahili, Benin, Kanembu, Kongo
Next I had to come up with a good civ concept that doesn’t feel like it’s repetitive or boring. My first choice is an archer civ. With the game necessarily being played as 2 Archer civs in flank and 2 Knight civs in pocket. There aren’t as many good archer civs as there are Knight civs.
My first choice took me to Nubia, now northern Sudan and southern Egypt. The Nubians were very well known for their Archers. They were so deadly that, it is said they put bets on enemy body parts and shoot and then hit their targets. They were very known for their accuracy, the Archer of the eyes, which can be seen in the game as a hero unit, are supposed to be the Nubian Archers. Although they should be black in color and not this Archer of the Eyes | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom
Now, let us see what bonuses the Nubians shall have. I tried my utmost best to gather knowledge regarding them and came up with bonuses in these sectors.
- A bonus for their Archers
- Farming bonus
- Gold Bonus
- Trade bonus
- Defensive Bonus
After some digging into some history and AOE2 forums and infusing my ideas with all of them, I have decided the following bonuses
- Archery range technologies cost 50% less
- Ballistic is free but the tech needs to be researched from University
- Light Cavalry line deals +1 bonus damage to mounted units
- Wild animals killed give 50 gold each.
- Hunters gain 20% gold from gathering.
Nubian Archers/Archer of the Eyes: Reduces non building opponent’s MA/PA by 1 for each shot.
Cost: 40 wood, 50 gold
The unique playstyle of these units will provide a new type of archer units, that you will avoid micro as they tend to do best if each of these units reduce armors of different units. This unit may be hard to balance, but it would definitely introduce new mechanics into the game.
- Ta-Seti: Archer units are trained 30% faster. Cost: 300 Food, 300 Gold
- Poison-Tipped Arrows: Archers and Cav Archers deal 1 extra damage that isn’t affected by armor. Cost: 600 Food, 600 Gold
Team Bonus: Trade units +50% HP
- Barracks: Halberdier, Supplies.
- Archery Range: Heavy Cavalry Archer, Hand Cannoneer and Parthian Tactics.
- Stable: Cavalier, Heavy Camel.
- Siege Workshop: No Siege Onager, Heavy Scorpion and Bombard cannon.
- Castle: No missing
- Dock: Fast fire ship and Elite Cannon.
- Defensive Structures: No bombard Tower
- Monastery: Heresy.
- Blacksmith: Ring Archer Armor and Plate Mail Armor.
- University: Siege Engineers and Heated Shot.
- Economy: Two-Man saw.