(Closed) Community Balance Polls 11-16-21

These polls are now closed! Thank you to everyone who participated. My next updated poll will be released after some time has passed. I will request the permanent closure of this post after a week has gone by. Thank you!

Welcome!

These polls are here to reflect the overall community’s feelings towards the game’s current balance. The polls will close when the next official balance patch is released into the live version of the game. Please discuss your thoughts and thanks for taking the time to participate!

Which Civilization Needs A Nerf?

• English
  • Chinese
  • French
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Mongols
  • Rus
  • Delhi Sultanate
  • Abbasid Dynasty

0 voters

Which Civilization Needs A Buff?

• English
  • Chinese
  • French
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Mongols
  • Rus
  • Delhi Sultanate
  • Abbasid Dynasty

0 voters

Which Civilization Needs A Rework?

• English
  • Chinese
  • French
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Mongols
  • Rus
  • Delhi Sultanate
  • Abbasid Dynasty

0 voters

Which Civilization Is Currently Your Main?

• English
  • Chinese
  • French
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Mongols
  • Rus
  • Delhi Sultanate
  • Abbasid Dynasty

0 voters

Which 5 Units Are In Need Of Changes?

• Villager
  • Scout
  • Spearman
  • MAA
  • Fishing Boat
  • Transport Ship
  • Trade Ship
  • Galley
  • Hulk
  • Demo Ship
  • Carrack
  • Trader
  • Battering Ram
  • Siege Tower
  • Archer
  • Crossbowmen
  • Handcannoneer
  • Horseman
  • Knight
  • Monk
  • Springald
  • Mangonel
  • Trebuchet
  • Bombard
  • Ribauldequin
  • Culverin
  • Longbowman
  • Zhuge Nu
  • Fire Lancer
  • Grenadier
  • Nest of Bees
  • Royal Knight
  • Arbalétrier
  • Galleass
  • Prelate
  • Landsknecht
  • Khan
  • Mangudai
  • Streltsy
  • Warrior Monk
  • Lodya Ships
  • Scholar
  • Tower War Elephant
  • War Elephant
  • Camel Archer
  • Camel Rider

0 voters

Feel free to explain why you voted! Thanks for your contribution! I do plan on making this sort of thing a regular occurrence after some time passes from a balance patch, so having lots of data to compare to future poll postings will be valuable.

6 Likes

Missing the “None” option everywhere :-X

5 Likes

You may abstain from voting. You don’t have to vote if you don’t wish too. Continuous balancing will keep the game fresh and interesting. I will try to like every comment this post gets. Granted I might run out if enough people comment lol

1 Like

Abstaining though is different from saying “Balance is good”.

No worries, just maybe for the next one to keep in mind :slight_smile:

7 Likes

True, I will consider the feedback for future posts if enough people clamor for it. Kinda building the plane as I fly it.

1 Like

Clearly Abbasid and HRE are the most well made civs so people like them the most, funny thing they are not in campaign so relic should consider a campaign pack for those civs since many people like them.

Regarding balance, well mongoles need a redesign their speed is insane and If they play market they are unstoppable… people think french are OP and yes they are but mongoles are walking gods

1 Like

I was thinking about that as I was going through and wondered if someone was going to say something.

Then I compared it to voting for people in public office. Imagine if there was a none.

3 Likes

You made a good poll and it would be nice if it was possible to select multiple civilizations that need a buff or a nerf (for example imo French and Mongols need a nerf)

3 Likes

Thanks! I hope it might help the devs figure out what the community wants. There is a lot of talk going on, but so far no real seeable stats. I hope to carry these polls as a regular occurrence after a major balance patch. The last patch wasn’t a major balance patch, but with everyone talking about the subject, it was a great time to launch the first polls.

Your advice has been noted, I will see how people receive the polls. I will probably implement that, and a “all civs are balanced currently” option into my future polls. Thanks again for the comment.

1 Like

Nobody voted for Ribauldequin needing changes
because it’s in such a dire need of changes that everyone forgot it was in the game because it’s so bad that nobody ever builds it lol

I answered:

Which Civilization Needs A Nerf?

French. Too much cool stuff, no weaknesses

Which Civilization Needs A Buff?

Chinese. Struggles to survive the early game.

Which Civilization Needs A Rework?

HRE. Feels lacking.

Which 5 Units Are In Need Of Changes?

Horseman (dies too easily to archers)
Springald (I just don’t like the game turning into artillery sniping wars)
Landsknecht (needs something, struggles to compete and is expensive)
Zhuge Nu (needs something, struggles to compete and is rather pricey)
Ribauldequin (Cost of a Bombard. Slow, small range, incredibly vulnerable. Waste of money)

I also forgot Nest Of Bees. Needs a buff, obviously.

5 Likes

Mongols do not need nerfing. HRE definitely needs reworking though. So many HRE mains in the poll!

1 Like

New Civ Tier Lists and Naval Combat Tier Lists

1 Like

Missing the vote for Palace Guard, the worst MAA in the game which belong to Chinese.

2 Likes

I need vote Palace Guard

change to AOE damage

2 Likes

In this case though, I agree with him. The “none” option would mean that someone thinks that the game doesn’t need that particular change, so it kinda counts as an option in the end.

2 Likes

This!

Yeah honestly I don’t think nerfing civs is a good idea - rather buffing others up to match or bring on par. (to the French for example) (this levels the overall power level upwards rather than trending downwards… which could make gameplay start to feel flat or sluggish)

A ‘None’ option is definitely a valid option in all of the polls and it has equal meaning to any other option.

2 Likes

The logic of this!?!?? No on both accounts.

HRE look badass, the sample size is tiny, tons of Germans play aoe2 so I’m assuming there’s a large representation here, and the list goes on. But most certainly not “most well made civ”

That’s just the thing.theres far more than 5 units that need fixing. But I guess OP wants to see which ones we think need the changes the most.

Good point on ribauld. It comes in so late, that naturally it’s of little concern if it’s unused, as opposed to zuge nu, horsemen, spears which all come in at the most crucial point of the game.

And springalds dictate too many fights, so all 4of those need to be fixed before the ribauld

1 Like

TF? By nerfing the top and buffing the bottom it reduces the odds of power creep, keeps room for buffing later on, requires fewer balance changes (it’s easier to identity what is overperforming and tone it down) and depending on how much you buff the bottom you can still end up with an overall upwards trend

Check out the latest post on Reddit about how strong and useful a FU PG actually is in comparison to other MAA. then maybe you can stop saying this.

2 Likes

No, it never comes in, I have not seen it built by anyone who knows how to play, except because they hit the wrong hotkey and built it by mistake lol. It’s a useless unit, and the English really don’t need useless artillery, their artillery is already worse than average, and they only have 1 other non vanilla unit in the game, so they need ribault to work so that they have an identity.

The real problem is that the French also have the ribauld, and nobody wants to give them another decent unit.

If the ribauld isn’t going to work, then remove it from the game and give the English something that works.

1 Like

Ribauld is fun. I don’t want it to be removed. It may be buffed a bit instead.

1 Like