Combat realism in AoE IV

It would be cool if the battle mechanics could be made to be a little more like Total War, especially now that hardware can handle lots of units more efficiently. Some of these were partially implemented in AoE III but could be enhanced. A few examples of how this could be done:

1. Instead of creating single units from a building, make a minimum of 5 or 10 units (make cheaper obviously).
  2. Give units a morale parameter. Increases with victories and decreases after a rout
  3. Units get extra combat bonuses when in formation (e.g. more armor, can’t be converted), but if overwhelmed their morale drops, they can break and become weaker. Cavalry get bonuses against exposed infantry.
  4. You can chose to move units quickly by keeping them in a loose grouping, but this makes them weaker and they might run if attacked in force
  5. Hilly or swampy terrain can negatively impact infantry and cavalry formations (a real life disadvantage for the tough phalanx); archers / siege / artillery get bonuses if placed on hills
  6. Archers fire in mass with great range but with greatly-reduced accuracy
  7. Priests / monks can boost morale just with their presence
  8. Ranged units in general would be far deadlier but also much less accurate, requiring them to be massed in a formation in order to be effective
  9. Siege / artillery units would have to be balanced to be less powerful, less mobile and/or less accurate

In my opinion, this would help make AOE IV feel more refreshed and relevant, rather than just the same old mechanics from the previous installments.

This would turn AOE into something too differrent. I wouldnt be able to hit and run with 3 archers early in opponent base, harassing economy a bit, while being chased by 10 foot soldiers. My men would rout who knows where because their morale dropped.

You should not have mentionned Total War cause he made me imagine this combat system in AoE and I thought : no it wont work for AoE…

But actually there is plenty of nice idea among what you say.

1. I’m not fond of. It will broke the micro system as he is in AoE. Still a 5 by 5 system is welcomed :slight_smile:
  2. Moral : why not but please no rout !
  3. I agree in the way more options for formations, mouvement or weapons would be nice.
  4. We said no rout ! :slight_smile:
  5. Yep some terrain impact would be perfect ! There is some in DOW, so I hope.

Then it’s all about accuracy or moral. I dont like the lack of accuracy. I will make a post about it.

Aoe isn’t a simulate game. Lol.

@IamDalv said:
This would turn AOE into something too differrent. I wouldnt be able to hit and run with 3 archers early in opponent base, harassing economy a bit, while being chased by 10 foot soldiers. My men would rout who knows where because their morale dropped.

If you do quick maneuvers to avoid infantry than it could save their morale. You have to do this anyway if you only have 3 archers vs so many infantry. So there would still be a bit of micromanaging involved!

@SheepishSum8288 said:
Aoe isn’t a simulate game. Lol.

No but I don’t think AoE IV should have_ exactly_ the same playing style as AoE I or II. Even just a few of the points I mentioned above would really enhance the combat side of things

I like this as long as it’s still kind of casual. I want to be able to sit down with my family and play a game every once in a while without having to master everything. I really like all the ideas you gave, all except for the moral one. I think that would just make it too difficult.

@LiamIsBest1010 said:
I like this as long as it’s still kind of casual. I want to be able to sit down with my family and play a game every once in a while without having to master everything. I really like all the ideas you gave, all except for the moral one. I think that would just make it too difficult.

Lol, aoe series aren’t a kind of casual.

Interesting ideas but they seem a little complicated and I don’t think it would improve AOE 4 over the previous combat systems. Keeping the combat system simple and similar how it is in AOE 2 should work well. There is no need to add extra baggage to it.

I like the gist of what you suggest @Teutonic_knight , though maybe not so much the specifics.

Larger unit groups I would like, though again, more the way it was done in DOW 1 (or heck, even Rise of Nations or C&C 3). To clarify; I do not mean that I want to see squad mechanics, just that larger groups would be good. I would also not mind a simple unit experience system along the lines of Red Alert 2/ Armies of Exigo. Not something complicated where you work through a full blown RPG system, but one that makes a unit incrementally stronger the more battles it survives. Maybe up to including that leader aura you suggested

Priests with auras is an idea that could also extend to generals (ala Empire Earth 2 or Rise of Nations) and maybe even banner bearers. Heck, if this covers antiquity, it could be cool to see Roman Aquila carriers.

If morale were to be introduced, I would prefer it be more along the lines of how it worked in Dawn of War 1. Which is, not something that completely broke your control of your troops, but gave them a minor speed bonus at the expense of durability and damage. A tactical feature you HAD to be aware of without making it annoying and too unforgiving.

@Teutonic_knight

“true realism” has never been a true feature of the AoE franchise. Do you remember when with artillery you could hit units behind a wall, with a straight path and not a semicircle? or when your melee units are not hit by friendly fire? these features were not a handicap of the game, but they were “the game”! the Total War series is more realistic and “realism” has made a strong point. But if we all fell in love with the AoE series, it’s because those features have also become an excellent real-time strategy model! AoE is an excellent balance of management between resource collection - construction / expansion of the city center - training of military units and their use. This balance requires equal attention on all aspects, and not one more than the other, because they must be managed simultaneously! So, although some of your ideas are interesting, I think you should not shift too much attention to a single aspect! Watch the Total War series: when you fight, you only have to concentrate on combat and not on other aspects (economic, construction etc.). In that case, realism is welcome!

however I think that in AoE 4 there must also be innovations, it can not be the same as the previous chapters! for example, to stimulate different strategies, receive additional bonuses when different units can be used simultaneously to support each other!

The trick is to innovate Age of Empires while retaining the feel and magic of Age of Empires. That’s a pretty difficult task. And meanwhile none of these guys have ever built an Age of Empires game.

It’d be like putting four talented dudes in a room and telling them to go make the next Beatles album. They should probably stick to some rock basics before breaking out the sitar and full orchestra and definitely shouldn’t be trying to make a punk album, even if they convince themselves that’s what woulda come after Abbey Road.

If I were them, I’d first make a bang up Age of Empires game and then maybe mix a few innovations into it.

The idea in this thread of blowing the roof off the pop cap and spawning teams of units is a little too far afield for me. Just give me Age of Empires with some stellar graphics and updated AoM/AoEO UI and strategy.

In my opinion, the combat mechanics would be best if they emulated Starcraft 2.

Combat in age of empires shouldn’t be based on random things like archers hitting (10% of the time) or a group of units routing. In chess the pieces don’t rout and they don’t throw dices either.

1 Like

Sounds like another RTS.

Medieval/Ancient confirmed?

Can u add that crossbows or archers can stand on the wall ,so that you can deffend your base with more efficiency.
Maybe you can add the high ground factor.

Bring back catapults?

• catapults and be effective against other artillery
  • maybe you can add a deffend move for artillery (they make barricades arround them) so that cav. cant reach
    them so easy

I would be happy if a Siege tower would be a thing to attack bases,and maybe the Outposts could attach to wall so that archers could go up there and shoot.
Artillery that has range like mortars but are used for attacking Infantry.