For the comparison AOE2/3 AOE2 VS AOE3
Just a short post to discuss the possibilities of maintaining the dynamism of AOE2 in AOE4 and at the same time improve the 3D graphism and the specificities of the civilisations.
+++ To summarize AOE2 is wonderful for its game play : +++
- Large possibilities of Micro/Macro
- Possibilities to stick the buildings avoiding gaps (kind of walls)
- interact with the environnement and the ennemies by building fast walls or buildings, trap the ennemy, stop a boar/wolf with a house.
- Easy to recognize units
- Large choice of civilisations
- The 2D and graphics give a clear vision of the game
- Weaknesses/strenghts of units are clearly visible
- Civilisations are too similars with lack of specificities
- Graphics a bit old
- Historical mistakes (which it does not bother me that much as the game is not a lesson of history but for some it is a major point)
+++ AOE3 tries to modernize the game +++
- More specificities for each civilisations
- 3D graphics (which can be + and -)
- Less focused on micro/macro and economy
- More focused on military
for the minus, some of them are not really minus but becomes minus for AOE2 lovers
- Less dynamism
- No strategy on the way you place your buidlings
- The game doesnt look clear (units similar, difficult to understand weaknesses/strenghts of units)
- Less feelling of freedom
- lack of dynamism
I am intersting first of all the macro/micro in AOE4, should they keep large possibilities like in AOE2 ? I would tell yes
AOE4 graphics have been critized for their “cartoonish” appearance. But that could be a way to understand easiliy differences between units ? I am for paying more attention to the gameplay than graphics.
What about the economy in AO4 ? will it be central like in AO2 or secondary like in AOE3 ?
Which are the main points to combine to sastisfy as much as possibile both communities of AOE2/3 and adding some completely new content at the same time ? For me its the most difficult question…
Last point which seems to be important, did the developer thought about people who wants to play with their cheap computer and offer a very low graphics performances option ? Or even for those who have good PC but want to simplify the vision.