Concept: Vlachs

Interesting concept, 2x2 farms are awesome, I like the fact you kept the x3 ratio food per wood conversion. Even after Hand Cart their efficiency is less than Crop Rotation which is solid. (7.5 vs 9)
It’s an insane eco bonus, you basically have an endless source of food, which is the most precious resource in the early-mid game. It’s so versatile, even in a Fast Imp situation, where you can just send vills to a short-term farming, and then transition them into gold/wood.

This bonus is so strong, I dont see a room for any other eco bonus, yet you gave them another 2 eco bonuses, that’s over streching, Chinese syndrome kinda.

Black Soil Farm is arguably the best eco bonus in the game, either you go for 1TC play or 4TC boom, this bonus however can be implemented, just has to be done more wisely. As in poor late-game tech tree, and no other eco bonuses.

This is a lovely lovely concept, such a nice aspect about advancing, allowing versatility, stone heavy strats, or even just Scouts play, it’s great.

I mean, it’s nice, but since the civ has a fully upgraded Paladin, it doesnt make sense. Monk are a comeback- mechanism when facing Knights. Just like Siege acts as a comeback tool against mass Archers.

So what you’ve done, is another Franks or worse- a Burgundians (which are a horrible design), you’ve made a boom into Knights civ, which we already have tons of this one, and just like Burgundians, it’s just broken, unbalanced. And tbh, impossible to balance at this point.

I like your bonuses, but they dont sum up into a reasonable civ, again, Black Soil must be the ONLY eco civ bonus, and the MUST NOT have any fancy late-game options, just like beautifully designed Vikings.
Further more, Free-Heresy is a nice concept, but again, you cant give it to a pure Knight civ, it encourages Noobism and an overly snowbally game.

I like these two together, they’re very intuitive, I’d make it that these buildings can garisson only 5, 10 is way too much, you leave no room for mistakes nor vill micro. And again, it’s an eco bonus this civ cant have, Black Soil is just too good despite being a brilliant design.

Your bonuses fit the Incan tech tree, and not even that, it’s OP and barely balancable.

This cant be done in AOE, the role of Mangonels is priceless, every civ must have a Mango, or rather an unit to replace that.

And overall this civ has everything in their tech tree, FU Trash units, CA, Champs, Paladins, the only thing they’re missing is Arbs. This tech tree is the opposite these eco bonuses suggest.

You already have the best eco in the game, and now you nerf your opponent’s eco? I’m not sure about that.

Charge attack on Ranged units is heavily abusable, unlike poorly designed Coustillier, which cant be really utilized in this regard nor micro’ed, this unit can actually bring this feature into use, it’s basically a Gun powder unit that’s affected by Ballistics.
And not just that, you gave them a HIGH base damage, why?
I’d understand an elegant design, low base damage and high bonus/charge attack damage. Your concept is a win-win situation nothing strategic. And on top of that a gimmick that is arguably not AOE at all, abusing fog of war is beyong the realm of AOE II physics, it’s counter-intuitive and therefore almost impossible to implement.

I get it that their HP is low, but still we’re talking about an Arbalester just a better version of it. Period. The one thing Arbalester wants is extra Damage, and you gave it to him so easily, we’re talking about so much extra damage out-put than a generic Arb.

So forget about me saying this civ only lacks Arbs. You basically made Magyars with an eco bonus. Or rather a Chinese/Vikings on steroids but with plenty of military options.
This civ has an awesome ideas in it, you’re quite a creative guy, BUT the worst implementation I’ve seen recently.
Sorry <3

There are many examples of the difference in influence between 1v1 and team games, even if it’s not the effect of punishing the opponent.

It seems that this effect is as unpopular as the Flemish Revolution and the First Crusade. Even to me they’re fresh and interesting designs and can be features of those civilizations.

Okay. I’ll be thinking of a new non-punitive effect:
Cavalry +3 Attack vs Buildings; Receive or return 50% of the non-stone cost of the building when destroying an enemy’s or losing your own.

Its initial ratio is not as good as that of the Teutons’ farms, and Wheelbarrow and Hand Cart must be developed early if it needs to be more efficient.

Free heresy is a military rather than eco bonus to me.

I personally like this bonus. I chose it between Free Faith and it, and removed Faith for it.

I don’t think it’s that serious but I can accept your concerns.
It would be nice if it could be balanced through another mechanic without removing it directly.
Maybe make Vlach units resist convert by -25% and take back Faith in the Imperial age.
This way the monks can’t convert them, but can kill them faster.

Okay, it would be 5.

Khmers also have a powerful farmer bonus, but they can garrison 5 villagers for only 25 wood. I think the bonus actually fine on balance.

I was about to add mangonel back, but you replied first.

The arb has been removed, I’m not sure if this will work if the paladin is removed. I think that even though their main strength period is in the early game, they still need a unit that is good enough in the late game.

I have made some adjustments and you can check.

May I see how you would adjust UU’s stats?

I like the idea of unique farms, but imo for naming and historicity it makes more sense to refer to a particularly valuable/abundant crop (e.g. Cacao Plantation) vs. fertile soil, which would have been sought by all peoples.

Too stronk as a team bonus. I would limit it to one. Also, this is nitpicky, but the aesthetic of garrisoning in lumbercamps is just weird. The other buildings at least have some kind of overhead structure, but this is like vills hiding under piles of wood.

Far too weak for the cost. With a name like that I’d think it would be about denying the enemy resources, but I wouldn’t know how to implement that.

It is, you can do it in the editor with only triggers (no mod).

Having all eco buildings garrisonable is a stronger bonus than the Khmer bonus because villagers will always be working as close to those buildings as possible. Basically means you don’t have to small wall/quickwall. It’s not stupidly OP, but I wouldn’t combine it with any strong early eco bonus (like their special farms).

I agree, I just think they are imbalanced for different reasons (e.g. Flemish revolution cost is independent of the # of units if affects).

I haven’t found out if medieval Romanian serfs ever cultivated any unique crops, but I do know that the Wallachian Plain and Moldavian Plain are rich in black soil. So I named it this way.

Well, would it be better if I change it that only mining camp can garrison villagers and up to 10 villagers?

Which one and why this one?

Since the community seems to be heavily rejecting punitive effects, I’ve changed them to new ones that I think are well-balanced. Hopefully this new effect can also fit the name of Scorched Earth Tactic.

Probably. 5 would even be enough IMO.

Take your pick. I say it’s too strong as a TB because you’ll almost always build at least 3 eco buildings in dark and saving wood +time on at least 3 houses is going to be too strong for allies that already have a strong Dark/Feudal Age. A Japanese ally with this bonus, for example, basically gets the early game equivalent of the Hun bonus (no houses), but without the wood penalty. Other civs like Gurjaras and Mongols would also benefit from this a lot, and even generic civs might save enough with this to get a free blacksmith in Feudal.

The ratio matters less, it’s the initial food source you gain, the flexibility to control your food eco so smoothly. Plus the effectiveness of having tiny farms. It’s by far the best eco bonus in the game. I’d nerf it heavily, especially its late game relevancy. (instead of 7.5 ratio, I’d make it much worse)

Anyways, it’s too much of a Franks/Burgundians to be justified, quite boring of a design, DESPITE the awesome ideas you have there. The tech tree (including the UU) is bad :frowning:

Oh yeah this one isn’t an eco bonus.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE this bonus, as I said, I love each and every single bonus you delivered!
However, you cant put them all in one civ, and definitely not this civ with its “awful” tech tree.

Free-Heresy civ shouldn’t have access to both FU Knights AND Scout-line at all, same reason why Teutons dont have a Light Cav. No Scouts and no Husbandry for example would allow an extreme diversity and indetity, and also a much balancable design, less room for an abuse and snowball.

It is serious though. Monks play a huge role in AOE (high elo games).

That’s Teutons though.
I am all for the Heresy bonus, dont get me wrong, it’s unique. Again the problem is the actual civ.

Khmer Farming bonus is barely any relevant in the early game, and doesnt allow that much of a versatility unlike other bonuses. So they’re left pretty much with only the house trick and the fact they can skip Barracks.
You offer so much relevant eco bonuses.

I like the fact you lowered their movement speed, an Archer with the ability to charge an attack is quite deadly and an oppressive idea. However, you also lowered the HP.
I’d suggest the other way around, a “healthy” amount of HP (30), and rather much slower movement speed, 0.85.
I remind you that charge attack means they’re resistant to siege, they can snipe Scorps/Mango way too conviniently, especially with their solid range. Slow movement speed will balance this one.
The closest unit to this one will be Chukonu, which are a horrible unit to micro with a short range, so it cant be abused.

I do like the fact you gave them a high LoS, I like the changes you’ve made in the damage department, I’d even go further 4 → 5, +14 → +17.

It’s a bold concept, I like it.

You get me wrong.
It is -25%, not +25%.
Free Heresy but units resist convert -25%.

I think obviously it can’t go lower than 6.25 in the end. I designed it to be higher than 7 because they would be depleted and re-seeded so frequently that farmers were actually less efficient than the numbers on the paper. As one of the possible countermeasures to balance, the build time of Black Soil Farm may be longer than that of common Farm.

What proportions should be in the three phases (initial, after Wheelbarrow and after Hand Cart), I thought it was fun brainstorming. I like unique farm myself, even though when I came up with the idea I had a hunch that the idea was going to require a lot of discussion.

I think the reason the Teutons don’t have Light Cavalry should be because of the farm bonus.
Hussars are inherently very resistant to convert, so it shouldn’t be because of their team bonus.

You make me think, should they who already have no Arbalesters lose Paladins, Hussars, or Plate Barding Armor? Lowering the performance of the late cavalry is a good direction, but losing it all seems like too much.

Ohhh a negative bonus, that’s quite rare in AOE, need to think about that one.
These kind of hidden negative features should be reserved for a very rare occasions that you simply run out of ideas, or rather a well established civ (like Britons/Chinese) that needs to be nerfed without ruining its identity.
If it’s a new civ that requires this kind of a special treatment- I’d just redesign it completely, it’s a bad sign and a bad starting point.

That’s true, but still doesnt make up for how good the extreme viability of food is, I like that nerf you offered, slower seeding time might work.

It should be weaker/slower than an average farm of its age at every single phase. Starts with 30 wood in Dark Age and becoming 5 wood cheaper at each age. Eventually 15 wood at Imperial, much worse than a FU farm, however almost equal to Heavy Plow Farms. (slightly worse, which is okay, since 2x2 working rate is expectedly better, and I take in consideration the re-seeding delay, perhaps even 35 initial cost, since what you offer is versatility more than just long term wood efficiency which is already Teutons/Sicilians- kinda flat boring)
It’s a buff in the regard it doesnt require upgrades though. You can always make it -10/-5 as you offered, though we lose the verastility and rather encourage investment in eco techs which is the most boring play style in AOE, overbooming style.

I love this bonus because how flexible it is, and not another Slavs/Khmer/Poles bonus.

While all other civs (non-meso) have the option to go full Light Cav when facing against Monk rush, Teutons dont need it, they can go for every generic unit, or even better with their own Monks which are naturally better.
Their farming bonus is weaker than Black Soil, I wish you could be able to pull off Black Soil WITHOUT increasing the price of the farms, punishing farmers in other ways like the re-seeding delay you mentioned, which is not too AOE intuitive, but we’re talking about a new “building” so it has its own rules.
Many civs have food eco bonuses on top of access to Light Cav, like Slavs, Indians, Vikings, Poles. Teutons indeed have a nice long term food bonus, but it practically means just wood efficiency, it doesnt give them an instant source of food. 2x2 farms that cost less than half the cost is equal to this civ bonus: “Farms can be worked by two vills at the same time”. The viability of the food is priceless.

Having Bracer + an UU which is borderline Arbalester- Not sure if they really care about having Arbs.

I love the idea of a Cavalry civ having a golden era where they shine but lose it later on as the game grows, we want to avoid this Burgundians syndrome which everyone complains about. Losing Plate Barding is tricky, perhaps too much for a traditional Cavalry civ (however considering how far you’ve gone with the eco bonuses it might be justified), I’d personally go for no Hussar, no Blast Furnace, no Iron Casting. (this civ has great Infantry on top of these great options: Paladin, pseudo-Arb and a CA, also nerfing Infantry will make them seem less of a Burgundians/Franks, which are heavy on this department)

I think this civ is very hard to pull off elegantly, it’s quite a challenge not gonna lie. <3

Would be amazing if after Return of Rome they make a DLC with Armenians, Georgians, Vlach, and Russ renamed from Slavs to finish Europe with a big DLC like the last one.

I would also add to this concept, a Vlach campaign concept:

BASSARAB & BOGDAN
The founders of Wallachia and Moldavia.

The Kingdom of Hungary wanted to create buffer states between themselves and the Golden Horde to avoid another invasion. So they established 2 ###### states in recently conquered lands, Wallachia and Moldavia. Eventually both revolted and became independent.

MISSION 1: Independnce! → Bassarab finally decides to break free from Hungary and captures Severin.

Basarab became ruler of Wallachia in 1310, he revolted against the Kingdom of Hungary in 1325 and took the Banate of Severin from Hungary (de facto independent). The independence was still unrecognized by Hungary.

MISSION 2: The Southern Thrust → Bassarab helps Michael Asen III attack Serbia.

When Michael Asen III attacked Serbia he supported the Bulgarians in hopes of having an ally against the Hungarians, but were defeated at the Battle of Velbazhd in 1330. With his army defeated, Hungary saw weakness.

MISSION 3: Battle of Posada → Bassarab gains independence for good.

The same year, with the Wallachian army defeated, Charles I of Hungary invaded Wallachia with 30.000 men, he was allowed to take Targoviste and plunder Wallachia with no ressistance, but when he was returning home the Wallachian army of 10.000 men awaited him at the Transylvanian passes, where the Wallachians ambushed and almost annihilated the royal troops in the Battle of Posada. But the Kingdom of Hungary wouldn’t recognise Wallachia as independent until 1344.

According to a contemporary account: The Wallachian army, led by Basarab himself, probably numbered less than 10,000 men and consisted of cavalry, infantry archers, and some locally recruited peasants. When Charles saw his best knights being killed, without being able to fight back, while the escape routes were blocked by the Wallachian cavalry, he gave his royal robes and insignia to one of his captains, who died under a hail of arrows and stones, and, with a few loyal subjects, made a difficult escape to Visegrád clad in dirty civilian clothes.

MISSION 4: Establishing Powerhouse → Bogdan I fights his own count, Giula, that is loyal to the King of Hungary.

Dragos was made ruler of Moldavia by the Hungarians in 1345 (one year after Hungary recognised Wallachia’s independence). He was succeded by his son Sas in 1353, who was then succeded by his son Balc in 1359.

But around the same time, another Romanian, Bogdan, born in Transylvania, the Duke of Maramures since at least 1342 (first mention of him) fell into conflict with King Louis I of Hungary and requested the support of a Romanian knez (Count) below him in 1349. Giula refused, and Bogdan invaded and took his lands. King Louis I of Hungary demanded Bogdan restore Giula’s lands but he refused. Bogdan stood in disgrace with the King of Hungary, but none of them were able to make a move against the other.

MISSION 5: To Greener Lands → Bogdan I leaves for Moldavia with his army, to support the Romanian rebels against the newly coronated Balc.

Learning that the Romanians in Moldavia were opposed to King Louis I’s authority, when Sas died in 1359, Bogdan left Maramures and went to Moldavia where he took command of the already existing Moldavian revolt and defeated Balc, who fled for Hungary. In retaliation, Louis I of Hungary confiscated Bogdan’s domain in Maramureş and donated it to Balc. In retaliation, Bogdan declared Moldavia independent from the Kingdom of Hungary

MISSION 6: Showdown → Displesed with Bogdan’s declaration of independence, the King of Hungary finally has a pretext to wipe out Bogdan for good, coming with an army in Moldavia.
(The King of Hungary attacked multiple times, but having multiple missions of the same thing would be repetitive)

In retaliation, Louis I of Hungary launched several expeditions against Bogdan I (but their dates cannot be determined, we can only know that they took place between 1359-1365) that ended in failure and Louis I of Hungary eventually recognised Moldavia’s independence.

(The King of Hungary attacked multiple times, but having multiple missions of the same thing would be repetitive)

CUTSCENES & STORYLINE:

The cutscenes take place in year 1633 (the actual campaigns take place in 1310/1345) and a native Moldavian named Grigore Ureche narrates the “origin of his people” to Władysław IV in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The intro narration could begin in 1633 at the start of the Polish-Ottoman War of 1633-1634. Knowing he will have to face the Wallachian and Moldavain troops who are loyal to the Ottomans, one of his advisors, Grigore Ureche, who is of Moldavian origin, starts telling him about the story of his people, how they became a free people.

Mission 1 Intro:

Władysław IV: Grigore.
Grigore: Yes, my lord?

Władysław IV: The war with the Turks is about to begin, in order to reach the Ottoman territory I will have to cross Moldavia and Wallachia, you were born there, weren’t you? Tell me about these vlachs, maybe I can convince them to side with me against the Ottomans.
Grigore: Yes, my lord. But my people do not call themselves, vlachs, that what they are called by others, it comes from an old germanic word for “stranger”, my people call themselves “romanians” from the latin ######### meaning “citizen of the Roman Empire”, we still consider ourselves of Rome. And our country that you call “Wallachia”, we call it “Țeara Rumânească” meaning “the Romanian land”.

Władysław IV: Enough with these details, I want to know if there is a way to make the romanians switch sides.
Grigore: My people have a way with wars for independence, you see, before we were under the Ottomans we were under the Hungarians, it all began when the Hungarians drove out the Mongols, in order to secure their eastern border, they organized the native population in a client state, but that would only last until 1310 when Basarab revolted and attacked Severin. Basarab would not be the first romanian to revolt against the Hungarians, Litovoi revolted in 1277 only to be killed and replaced by his brother, Bărbat, but Basarab would be the first to succeed.

→ In the actual mission, you could begin with an army and some villages, and your goal is to capture a heavily fortified town (Severin).

Mission 1 Outro:

Grigore: And so Basarab captured Severin. The Hungarians would not let this treason go lightly. They prepared their forces, but bid their time, waiting for the perfect time to attack.
Władysław IV: Hmm, so they can’t be trusted as a ###### state.

Mission 2 Intro:

Władysław IV: What then? He got his independence but the Hungarians would not forget this.
Grigore: Then, Bassarab became arrogant, he saw himself independent and started dwelling into international politics, he supported the Michael III of Bulgaria agains the Serbs, it was almost his undoing.

→ In the actual mission, your troops have an ally, and you have to defeat the Serbs, afterwards, reinforcements arrive and you have to retreat with Bassarab (at least he should escape) before you are found and killed.

Mission 2 Outro:

Władysław IV: I’m sure this is the moment the Hungarians were waiting for, with his army scattered he would stand no chance against the full Hungarian army.
Grigore: The Hungarians were just as sure my lord.

Mission 3 Intro:

Władysław IV: So, what happened then?
Grigore: Rather than facting the enemy army directly, and you will see this is a running theme among our people, Bassarab picked his battles, he knew he could not face the Hungarian army head on, so he had to improvise, avoid them until he found an advantageous terrain and the Hungarian army unaware. His army of conscripted peasants could not compete with the Hungarian knights, at least not head on.

→ In the actual mission, you being in Wallachia, with various towns: Poenari, Campulung, Argesi, Targoviste (the capital), the Hungarian army invades with Paladins and Champions, you have mainly Pikemen and Archers. You have to avoid the Hungarian army on the map (they will go and destroy each town, you can try and ressist but won’t be able to do much), while recruiting troops for your main army. And hopefully upgrade to Halebardier and Arbaletist. Then there is a narrow passage at Posada, you will have to prepare your forces and hold your army there, when the Hungarian army with vast superior numbers retreats, you will have to fight there. With your Halebariers on Paladins and Arbaletist on Champions.

Mission 3 Outro:

Grigore: When Charles saw his best knights being killed, without being able to fight back, while the escape routes were blocked by the Wallachian cavalry, he gave his royal robes and insignia to one of his captains, who died under a hail of arrows and stones, and, with a few loyal subjects, made a difficult escape to Visegrád clad in dirty civilian clothes.

Władysław IV: And that was the end of the Hungarian dominance over Wallachia?
Grigore: No, my lord. The Hungarians would not recognize Wallachia’s independence until 1344, when they left Wallachia alone to create another ###### state between themselves and the Golden Horde. History repetead itself.

A map for reference:

##################################################
Mission 4 Intro:

Władysław IV: That is Moldavia, correct?
Grigore: Yes, my lord. Dragos was made ruler of Moldavia by the Hungarians in 1345, but unlike Bassarab, he was loyal, his son Sas and grandson Balc were equally loyal.

Władysław IV: How did Moldavia became independent then?
Grigore: Because of another disloyal ruler, Duke Bogdan of Maramures, he was not even in Moldavia but in Transylvania, yet he fell into conflict with King Louis I of Hungary but none could make a move against the other. In order to have a strong and loyal army, Bogdan seeked first to secure the loyality of those below him, and so he came into conflict with another romanian, count Giula, who refused to support Bogdan reaffirming his loyality to the crown of Hungary.

→ In this mission you play as Duke Bogdan and have to defeat Count Giula, also a romanian.

Mission 4 Outro:

Władysław IV: Wouldn’t King Louis I punish this violation?
Grigore: He demanded Bogdan restore Giula’s lands but he refused, using whatever pretext he tought best to avoid open rebellion and bide his time.

Mission 5 Intro:

Władysław IV: It seems the king and duke were locked in a stalemate.
Grigore: Yes, my lord, each of them waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike against the other. The perfect time for Bogdan to strike was in 1359 when Dragos’ grandson, Balc, would be crowned prince of Moldavia. There was already an existing revolt in Moldavia, against the ######### dynasty. The king of Hungary would not be concerned as he knew the new prince would be loyal to him. Little did the king know, taking advantage of the instability caused by the death of Sas and the inexperience of his son, Balc, Bogdan set his eyes to become the new prince of Moldavia, crossing the Carpathians with an army and taking the command of the revolt.

→ You play as Bogadan, cross the Carpathians into Moldavia and try to convince various nobles to support you instead. When you have enough support you march on the city of Suceava and capture it. Balc flees to Hungary.

Mission 5 Outro:

Władysław IV: An ambitious man this Bogdan was. It was at that time that Bogdan declared independence?
Grigore: No my liege, he still needed a legitimate reason. When Balc fled for Hungary, Louis I confiscated Bogdan’s domain in Maramureş and donated it to Balc, this was the justification Bogdan needed to declare Moldavia independent from the Kingdom of Hungary, each of them could accuse the other of not respecting their oath of ######### without losing face.

Mission 6 Intro:

Władysław IV: Now the story begins to be similar to that of Wallachia, what happened next?
Grigore: The Hungarians sent three armies, unlike Bassarab’s recently defeated army in Wallachia, Bogdan’s army was more than ready to fight the Hungarians attacks. And Bogdan pushed back the Hungarian army, again, and again.

→ You play as Bogadan, now prince of Moldavia, waves of Hungarian armies come from the Carpathians, you have to protect your cities (Suceava - the capital, Baia, Siret, Iasi) and defeat the Hungarian armies.

Mission 6 Outro:

Grigore: And that is how we became independent, my lord. We would enjoy roughly a century of independence until the Ottomans came from the south, we weren’t incorporated into the Ottoman Empire without a fight, and due to our stubbornness remained ###### states who would have to pay yearly tribute to the Sultan, and although we had certain rulers that rose above and successfully resisted the Ottomans, we could not compete with the might of the Ottomans, and we soon found ourselves under the claw of the Ottomans again. David does not always beat Goliath. But times will change my lord, in time, it will.

That’s it.

What do you think?

1 Like

People wanted Romanians civ and they will get Romans civ, X D.

1 Like

I don’t know why people associate the Balkans with the Caucasus - these are two completely different regions of the world. The Balkans are European and the Asian Caucasus - both regions are connected by a mosaic of diverse nations, cultures, languages ​​and religions.

Vlachs / or Romanians civ should be part of the Balkan DLC. Georgians civs and Armenians civs should have their own Caucasian DLC.

• Croats, Romanians and Serbs - Balkan DLC + brand new Architecture Set: Byzantine

• *Armenians, Georgians and ######## - Caucasian DLC + brand new Architecture Set: Caucasian

(K). Chazars is censored…

(20 characters)

Ok, I’ll give you my constructive opinion for the civ, as I always like to read and analyze a new civilization concept.

Mmm ok so basically they have a goldless castle age?

That’s probably too strong… for comparison Italians saves 150 resources on castle age, the vlachs would also have to spend just one kind of resource.

Getting original age up bonuses isn’t easy, but in my opinion that it’s too strong…

Maybe it could be that castle age cost -100 gold and imperial age cost - 200 gold, that would be more balanced…

You get both heresy and a teutons like bonus? That’s a bit redundant… just give them free heresy as soon as they hit castle age.

That’s a worse version of the kmers bonus, as houses are more common and spread than mining camps, I would instead take their TB:

Make it a standard bonus, and extend it to all gathering points, so you have a nice wood saving on houses.

The main problem I see however is the lack of a cavalry bonus for a cavalry civ, with the exception of free heresy, so maybe they need a bonus for their knights or scouts.

Yeah that’s seems quite strong… they give back less food, but also cost less and can be easily squeeze more around the TC, and vill would need less walking time… that seems too strong, but maybe it could be balanced by a longer building time.

The +3 is already an hindustani bonus, so it’s not very much original…

As for the wood recuperated, it’s not bad but not that great either, since wood in the late game is easily accessible, and it’s also a contradiction with the name (destroying anything that can be used by the enemy).

That sounds like a really strong unit, probably they need an higher cost.

Besides that it’s fine…

Historically, this DLC could be called “Bulwark of Christendom”, which is a proper noun for labelling some specific nations bordering non-Christendom. Armenians, Georgians, and Vlachs have all fought against Muslim expansion. As they guarded their homeland, they became a mighty shield and fortress of Christian Europe.

Geographically, this DLC could be titled “Warriors of the Black Sea” or something. They are all located around the Black Sea.

If we still need a South Slav civilization that is good at navy (like the Croats), then that civilization would also work with this DLC. In other words, this DLC would be Europe’s best and perhaps final patch.

Well, -25% resistance means they are more easily converted.
Originally there was only free Heresy, but I was told that it was too powerful, so I tried to add a little bit debuff to balance it. As for the degree of the debuff, it can be adjusted according to needs.

This is my thought too.
I want to see 2 * 2 Farms. It would be better if it could be equipped with a unique mechanisc.

When your buildings are destroyed, you also get half of the building materials to assist in rebuilding. Wood is easy to obtain late game, but there are still times when wood is lacking in an emergency.

I think it’s a simple practice, because the true meaning of scorched earth tactics is very difficult to present in-game.

And/or we can also weaken its stats, such as making the base recharge time longer, or reducing the extra damage when charged, or increasing the training time.

Thanks for your opinion!

People: we want Romanian civ.
Devs: best I can do is Romans.

Fair point, they would work as separate DLCs for Balkans & Caucas.

What’s the last one on the Caucasian though? it seems the forum censored you.

MY GOD, ######## yes, the Jewish ####### would be amazing.

1 Like

To be fair, I agree with @DoctBaghi that a cavalry civ without cavalry bonus doesn’t really make sense.

Personally, I like the cavalry concept from this video:

With the Order of the Dragon UT2, Vlachs get +1 attack, +1 melee armor and 10% cheaper, but they lack Plate Barding Armor.

Meaning their cavalry would be one of the best in melee but weaker against archers.

Meh… free heresy doesn’t seem that strong that requires a compensation, it’s a tech that some civs have, and some doesn’t have, but in general it’s not stronger than having free tumb ring or something like that…

This one needs testings, maybe through mod…

2x2 cheap farms can be potentially be too good, as you can have more efficient farmers, building farms earlier on, and get more value out of wood.

A longer building time might make them either useless or too strong…

It’s a weak bonus overall… the main point is to not lose buildings, unless are buildings that are supposed to be destroyed, like a palisade, but at that point the resources gained from that are meaningless…

Also, until castle age it’s hard to destroy buildings, so it’s a late game bonus for when you most likely have a ton of TCs on wood.

It’s not useless… but it’s a complementary bonus, something to not rely on for you strategy.

I’m not sure how free Heresy would be OP, it’s a very niche tech. Fighting against a civ focused on monks? free Heresy is great, not OP but great. Fighting against a civ not focused on monks? you might as well not have it. There are civs out there with free blacksmith techs which are far more OP than free Heresy.

I actually think the issue with free Heresy is that it’s going to be insignificant most of the time rather than OP.

But yeah, 2x2 farms would be way way too OP. Imagine how many farms you can easily build around the town center.

Maybe something like increased villager food carrying capacity after each age would be something more balanced.

The one with the destroyed buildings, I agree. It’s a cool bonus, but at the same time not very useful. Wood is usually the most common resource in the game. And by the time you destory or lose buildings, you don’t have wood issues. If you just lost 5 buildings and desperately needed that 300 wood, you probably already lost the game anyway.

1 Like