Concepts for some popular Civilisations

I though since the game is going for less generic names, you could have done so too.
And if you dislike Spanish, what about Castillian?

That is true.
I would prefer is Japan would be actual Medieval Japan and not Sengoku stereotype Katana Japan but I feel like if Japan didnā€™t have Arquebus at all people would complain.
Japan never really used Hand cannons. Most countries actually never did, they are a stupid unit in general, they just wanted to be more like AoE2 I guess.

Hungarians are the European civilisation I want to see the most.
They are surprisingly similar to the Turks if you think about it.
Nomadic civilisation that later heavily goes into gunpowder.
But thatā€™s not a coincidence they influenced each other.

That something that I thought about too.

My alternative idea for the Alliance system would be:

Feudal Age

• Leon
  • Navarre

Castle Age

• Aragon

Imperial Age

• Portugal

You always have two options because you keep the one you donā€™t chose as an option.
On top in the Imperial Age you can build an additional Landmark like the 4th wing for the Abbasides.

Its because they lost to Hussites few years prior who kind of revolutionized use of handheld guns. (words like pistol, Howitzer originated with them)
Hussites than attacked northern Hungary and made fortresses there called tabors and Hungarians had to take them out one by one.

So they realised potential of guns very soon and applied it into their professional black army core heavily. Its just shame they disbanded that professional army at the end of 15 century few years before ottomans attacked.

I agree so somehow I would imagine it.

It is precisely these nations that will be missing there.

I would include the Spanish Empire. They have a strong history and they would certainly be in a campaign against the Aztecs.

Ayyubids had the Mamluks.
Because the meaning of Mamluk simply means non-Arabic as they are slave mercenaries. They were from Eastern Asia, origins such as the Turks, Mongols, Cumans, Kipchaks, etc.

Instead of alliances you could still use the landmark system but depending on the landmark you become a different kingdom with a different bonus

Dark Age

• Asturias (you dont get to choose here)

Feudal Age

• Leon (expansion focus)
  • Navarre (defensive focus)

Castle Age

• Castille-Leon (expansion / religious focus)
  • Aragon (trade focus)

Imperial Age

• Spain (religious focus)
  • Portugal (water / trade focus)

Each one could give you acess to 1 or 2 different techs but unlike other civs like abbassids or chinese you cant eventually unlock everything

This was my idea. I didnā€™t nail down the specific kingdoms because Iā€™m not an expert on that area, yet.

The Abbaside civilisation description mentions the Mamluk Sultanate as being part of this civilisation.
I wasnā€™t refering to the Mamluks as unit. (Which should be a unique cavalry unit for them honestly)

Some more ideas I have:

Inca

Concept

Defensive civilisation that is relatively easy to play. Designed for beginners, kind of the English of the new World.

Bonuses

• Unit production buildings are also outposts
  • Town Centres automatically produce villagers for free but at a slower rate (similar to Ottomans in AoE3)
  • Tambo create an influence that makes all units faster

Unique buildings

• Kancha house (expensive house with double population that also functions as an outpost)
  • Tambo (Can be placed in Gold and Stone mines, functions as an outpost and drop of point. Does not block the mine for others. Also isnā€™t destroyed when mine is depleted.)
  • Blacksmith (unlike the other Native Americans they have access to a blacksmith but with unique technologies)

Unique units

• Plumed Spearman (More expensive Spearman that has longer range but not as good against cavalry)
  • Maceman (MAA with lower armour. Attacks buildings in melee and can attack stone walls.)
  • Bolas Warrior (Ranged unit that slows down cavalry. Slowed down cavalry get -1 ranged armour.)
  • Slinger (Ranged unit with good ranged armour. Anti Archer unit.)
  • Casqui (Replaces scout. Can build Tambo and can be trained there.)

Not available units/buildings

• Horseman and Knight
  • Crossbow and Hand Cannon
  • All siege units
  • Outpost (other buildings have that function already)

Unique Technologies

• Unique armour and weapon upgrades in the blacksmith that are weaker than the Eurasian ones.
  • Influence range upgrades for Tambo
  • Allows Tambo to be constructed anywhere outside of the influence of another Tambo (needs all the range upgrades to be researched)
  • Villagers garrisoned in Tambo generate a little Gold or Stone (can be chosen at the building)
  • Bolas cause AoE (damage and slowdown)

I would like to see Persians, but so far no news on them or any new civs. any thoughts?

Your effort is much appreciated by everyone. Please allow a few remarks:

• Turks were famous for the matchlock musket, which is a genuine revolution over the arquebus and changed the world; itā€™s unimaginable to overlook that
  • Devshirme, the world-unique recruitment system for Janissaries from all subject peoples of the Empire, should be modeled, perhaps by earning recruit bounty by burning building or slaying
  • The Turks controlled the Silk Road 10 times longer than Mongols; there should be a Trade Monopoly-related bonus
  • The fact that many major world civs used Turkish mercenaries or elite slaves should be modeled, perhaps by buying elite troops with allied tribute
  • Millenium-old Turkish cav archers were galaxies away from Rus cav archers, which were only important during the period Rus were enslaved by Tatars / Mongols
  • Sipahis should represent shock heavy cavalry on a par with European knights, their win rate against Europe is 80%+
  • Turks had heavy cav archers, which other civs didnā€™t have
  • In keeping with current convention (see Delhi for example), the civ can and should be called Ottoman Empire because this is a natural continuation of Turkish Khaganate, Seljuks etc; we canā€™t have Age of Empires without any ā€œEmpireā€ civ name!
  • Similar to Byzantines, the Ottoman Empire should have a Wonder bonus because their architectural Wonders are supremely awesome, and also because Wonders need a role in the game
  • Early Turks should be able to tame wolves, it is the most important foundational legend of the civ

A lot of the things you listed could be Landmark bonuses.

• Trade Landmark to show how they controlled the Silk Road
  • A Landmark that letā€™s you recruit mercenary units that only cost gold but are stronger than the usual units and instantly trained. (but you are limited to how many you can train)

You donā€™t want to have a civilisation with 10 different unique systems, that would be awful to play.
AoE4 civilisations are usually more focused.

Also not sure if it isnā€™t a bit to early for Muskets, even matchlock ones. This is a Medieval game and not an early modern one.
The Ottomans were one of the first big adopters of the Arquebus before they switched to muskets. So I think itā€™s fair for them to still use them.

But I think most people agree that Janissaries should be the strongest gunpowder infantry in the game. Maybe also the most expensive one.
Giving them a unique recruitment mechanic seems complicated though.

About the Horse Archers, yes they should get some nice unique technologies for them. I listed one example.
But the game has to be balanced so they canā€™t be too strong.

Taming wolfs makes no sense. Maybe in AoM2 but not here.

Remember that we want to make a playable balanced game.
The Ottomans canā€™t have to many different mechanics or people will be confused.
They can also not have to many bonuses because all civilisations have to be equally strong.

About the name. I think Ottoman Empire is good. The Holy Roman Empire already exists so naming it like that would make sense.
But not sure if there is a better name that also includes the Seljuk or Rum.