Conditional grace period

Removing the grace period is a good thing overall. But leaving it totally graceless is not very fun.

Just had a game where a teammate took forever to load and immediately disconnected on joining. It’s 2v3. I can either play till we lose in all probability, being that I’m not Viper, or I can resign. I do and lose 15 ELO.

I’d rather not roll the dice on randomly and unavoidably losing rating whenever I join queue.

3 Likes

I agree. There is currently a bug which causes disconnects within the first 5 minutes (or immediately after loading) in 3v3 or 4v4 matches. If it is taking a long time to fix this then they should at least increase the grace period for now until it is fixed.

It’s not a good thing that it’s removed in the game’s current state.

I have never understood the people arguing against it, aside from some very whiny pros and their sympathizers. In that case, I get the argument, but it’s not worth changing the game over.

Currently, there is no way to block a player. If I don’t want to play with someone or against someone, that should be my prerogative. I’m not playing for money or glory. It’s for fun. If that person is harassing, being an a-hole or is whiny, I have less fun playing and feel like I just wasted my time.

Currently, there is no way to block or ignore cheaters. That’s not acceptable in a game where teams are small or it’s 1v1.

Currently, the map ban system can produce the exact same map three times in a row. I might enjoy playing Golden Swamp once, but I don’t want to play it three times in a row. I can’t say I’ve left a game due to the map, but I’ve heard of people doing it.

Currently, if I have a technical issue and need to leave or have a teammate leave, there is no amicable way to end a match.

This game is supposed to be fun. At the moment, it isn’t. If these things are fixed, then sure, it should be removed. Otherwise, it’s a sloppy and lazy action.

1 Like

What there really should be is a way to decline matches you don’t want to play. Resigning at the start of a game wastes up to 7 other people’s time who’ve already committed.

I think a good solution would be a much shorter grace period, before any gameplay can have happened. For example, 30 or 60 seconds. And ideally (for me but not for you) there should be a condition. For example, if a teammate has disconnected in those 60 seconds, you should be able to resign for free.

I do agree with your point about the game’s current state. The cheating, for example. The game is broken enough to require the occasional insta-resign to save your sanity.

2 Likes

Agreed. Matchmaking is only half-baked currently imo. Some better pre-match system should have been built.

The grace period was 60 seconds…

The grace period was 60 seconds…

Oh :smiley: Well, 30 should be plenty if there’s an actual problem like the one I’m describing

In a way, 60 is still low at this point.

I think they should allow the loss of no elo when the game detects cheating (it can’t yet, but I’m sure it will one day)

Yup, or teammate instant disconnect. Either way there has to be some conditional grace imo.

Yep.

It should be, 20chr (sigh)

then why care about elo? remove the grace period so people who drop for stupid reasons can be punished? if you play for fun, then losing elo after dropping within 10 sec shouldnt both you…

this goes without saying…

there should be no generic grace period exactly for this reason, only conditional ones… there should only be reasons for no elo loss… player drops during start he loses elo immediately, allies can then quit without loss of elo, opposing team gets a win, and things like that.

1 Like

Because without it matches are unbalanced. Dropping Elo also results in unbalanced matches. I don’t like blowing away my opponent—it’s also not fun.

Not to even get started on how this makes smurfing very easy now… :roll_eyes:

If the other issues with matchmaking are fixed, sure. But right now they are not.

i dono… ive been thinking about it…

player 1 hates the map so drops
player 2 hates the faction so drops
players 3 hates the matchup so drops
player 4 loses a vil to boar so drops
player 5 desyncs so drops

if we have the “punishment system” it means player 1 - 4 wont drop as often, so more often you get a consistent game even if player 5 desyncs, at least you dont have to contend with all the other matches where players are dropping like flies anyway…

the desyncs are going to happen until they’re fixed, so we have to bare with it, just take the elo drop when ur game crashes(seriously you wont die if your elo drops, and all the other games i play dont have a grace period for crashes [COH2]) but at least in the meantime, we have fewer peeps dropping for no reason

I don’t see this behavior happen often enough to justify your response to it, to be fair. People weren’t dropping left and right. The narrative on here made it that way, but it certainly wasn’t from any experience.

The ‘punishment’ system is haphazard at best and gives players who want to play below their Elo and beat up on lower level players an easy way to do so now. It’s an idiotic solution.

maybe it has to do with varying elos… when i started out from 1000-1400 elo, people would drop literally every 2 in 3 games for the reasons i mentioned above, so ive given 3v3 and 4v4 a hard pass…

yes man, its completely ok to insult someone by saying the solution (or one they agree on) is idiotic… learn some manners… ther are other ways of saying things besides idiotic…

I don’t see an issue with manners when speaking about the solution. Very brilliant people can have idiotic solutions—happens all the time.

If disconnecting were always involuntary it’d be one thing…

Instead of dealing with the root of this new problem that came along with DE, they removed the grace period to punish those players who feel forced or left out even more.

Obviously people are upset that the only ranked option is a forced map pool, where on top of that you can be forced to play with civ pickers.

If they would integrate the freedom of choice we had for 20 years, or provide an alternative method such as a fully featured lobby this problem would go away.

The grace period has its own use in case of an emergency, mistake or unfortunate situation such as OP describes.

Just had a game where a teammate took forever to load and immediately disconnected on joining. It’s 2v3. I can either play till we lose in all probability, being that I’m not Viper, or I can resign. I do and lose 15 ELO.

2 Likes