Constantinople - The end of the ancient world (324-627)

Thanks. I’ll give it several more tries.

1 Like

Must say this is my favourite mod campaign. The scenarios are hard without being boring and once you get how it is played it becomes REAL fun.

Right now I’m going back to the rebel peasants scenario (which I stopped playing to play ROR).

I was doing well, not getting my allies plssed because they were losing too many soldiers and getting to kill Arbogast (the ritual and the witches were a cool stuff, the official game doesn’t go so deep I guess) but someone killed peasants, Saint Ambrose excommunicated me and yet the peasants managed to destroy the basilica :joy:

The side quests are cool and really doable but I have a problem with multitasking in general. I should get past that scenario once I play it knowing what must be done.

Someone I find noteworthy is the option to train alternative units. This makes virtually any specific civilization possible and give a real feel of uniqueness to gameplaying.

I will come back to rate the campaign but now I want to congratulate you and thank you for the effort. Mod campaigns are the best option once players like me beat the whole game and I can only imagine how hard it is to design them. Not only the dialogue are funny but the plot is solid and the maps are beautifully done.

1 Like

Thank you very much man! Since I gain nothing out of it and it takes a lot of time to make (one year for this!) Having just a small feedback is really a great boost on morale! It’s also very exciting to see what other people experience in something you made yourself!

So I didn’t understand if you already played all the campaign and getting back to scenario 2? Converting the rebels is optional (and hard) but even if you don’t care about monks you must slaughter them (which is way easier) or they will attach the basilica at a certain point. And you’re right, definitely you need multitasking since I try to put all historical things I can find in a scenario to the point it may feel overcrowded (and still I had to left out something!)

Making difficult scenarios may be an unpopular choice because people may abandon them out of frustration and that’s even worse if it’s just the 3rd scenario out of 8… But I feel having a couple of scenarios offering an hard challenge is something we could see more often, at times I find fascinating to not being able to beat a level, then realising a strategy and win, it’s more satisfactory, but I can totally see it as subjective.
So in this specific campaign scenario 3 and 8 are the hardest but it’s on purpose, I lowered 3 a bit but I don’t want to disrupt its identity of having to fight on multiple fronts and dealing with Huns which I imagined being a real curse for Romans, and the same for Avars and Sassanids in the last one. But as you say challenging doesn’t mean boring, no excuse for me!

But if you liked this, I recommend to check my Adrianople battle scenario too! That’s a one level campaign but it’s “open world” with missions to pass, towns to raid until the final clash with Romans.
Thanks again for your huge compliment and let me know what you like and not or if you find bugs / hardships!

I played only the first three scenarios and took a break once ROR was released to play the DLC but now I’m getting back to it.

I fully agree reagarding how hard a scenario should be and the possibility of losing on the first try(ies). I guess the official campaigns from the last DLCs make players too comfortable, telling us what to do and rewarding us for acting accordingly. You win the scenario comfortably and end up with the feeling of mission accomplished but you actually just followed a script.

I understand this is to appease the majority of the fanbase since people would hate the game if they had to think too much because this is not how games are built today. But sometimes I want just what you said: eventually lose a battle or even the whole scenario just to sit back and think through a strategy to win. After all, this is a strategy game.

I will play Adrionople too. Thanks again, knowing that you put one year of effort on the campaign definitely makes me real grateful.

I will come back to comment on the other scenarios and the whole campaign.

1 Like

I replayed the Two Empires/Three Fronts scenario only this time I was able to do it on hard in one sitting. I did note that victory was declared once I made the final tribute to Attila. Although by this time I had knocked off the Sassanians I had not done much on the other front other than landing my army. So evidently to achieve victory you only need to pay ### ### #### without defeating the other enemies? Did you mean for this result?

1 Like

Probably I meant it when I made the campaign but it doesn’t make much sense to me now so I’m changing it in a way you can win only by defeating both Sassanids and vandals even if you choose to pay Huns.
Thank you for the note! Have you tried to militarily defeat them yet? And what about scenario 7 and 8? Still stuck?

1 Like

I think that’s a good idea since it makes all facets of the game (and the historical context of the game) relevant. I haven’t gone for a military victory over the Huns, although the temptation was there after accumulating so much gold that could be used for the premium units. Perhaps players would be more willing to go this route if there were more military buildings from which to produce units. On that note why did you include 3 blacksmith shops? I haven’t really made a determined (ie multiple tries) attempt on the last two. I can see that #8 might be tricky in getting your army to a good landing location on the north side within the City’s walls. Have you played Komenos-The Byzantine Restoration? There is a similar start. But I’m guessing yours is more challenging. I’ll probably have the time to do the 7th sometime this week and will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

The 3 blacksmiths are mainly for aesthetics even if in my experience they end up being useful cause I often research all techs in a row.
About having restricted military buildings, they should be enough to resist until imperial age, pumping out from the university, two barracks, two stables, two archery ranges, the monastery and maybe even the siege workshops… Given you have 150 pop limit and three fronts to deal with even if you had more military buildings it wouldn’t change much.

Sure I played philtydelphia’s komnenos, very cool scenario and I totally see why the first stealth part of my scenario may recall you of that. But that’s just the beginning, the rest of the scenario may actually remind you of the last Romans ahah and then it evolves further when you have to counterattack Persians in the final part.

1 Like

Finished the sixth scenario – actually a lot of fun once I understood the popularity issue. On to number 7!

1 Like

after knocking out the small camp of avars by luring the guarding units to my ships on the coast, I took the hide in the trade cart route, and then secured the relic to secure the bishop’s help.

1 Like

You mean you managed to destroy all their camp before killing phocas?

Not all the camps, but instead the small camp that lies near the coast and is right before the road on which the trade cart travels. I was able to do this without any loss of the army by using ########## to attack then lure the Avars near the coast where they could be eliminated by the galleys. By this method I also took out some of Phocus guards. I found that the onager you supplied could be used to blast out some vegetation that was blocking access to the relic near the ruins.

1 Like

Ah ok I see, feels like a more complicated method when you can easily take out purple scattered troops with your ones, while red shouldn’t be alarmed but I never thought of taking out him by luring his troops into your navy. Good catch also for the relic!

1 Like

Hi again. I finally finished the last scenario! What a well designed scenario that gave you choices as to how best to defend Constantinople and then to conquer the Sassanians. Challenging but not impossible! I found one or two bugs – ships tend to get boxed in one of the docks on the east side of the City (maybe remove the docks). Also there is a relic on the east side of the map behind the monastery with the relic cart. The relic is surrounded by rock and thus cannot be accessed. More broadly I noticed that when trying to unload ships, only a few units would unload at a time regardless of whether you were on an open beach or not. Maybe a glitch in the AI? And finally I was glad that Lorenzo and his fiancee were able to be married in Constantinople. Thanks to the developer for creating such a well designed and thoughtful campaign.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your patience to go through everything and even get some Easter eggs eheh.
Last one was very long right? And very hard for sure, specially until you don’t break the siege, but hopefully it didn’t feel like a chore to go through!
The transport bug unfortunately is there since the last patch but hopefully they’re gonna fix in the next update (while I’m sure they’ll add other bugs lol).
And the relic behind rocks in Jerusalem is unobtainable, it’s just to prevent you to go with a relic victory. You can see its name being “you can’t grab me ahah”.
Be sure to check my adrianople scenario too if you haven’t yet or to leave a review if you want!

1 Like

BTW on the FB group for Age of Empires 2, I posted a review of the campaign - hopefully it will generate a lot more players to do the campaign. Eventually I plan to give the Adrianoble scenario a try. Hope you continue to develop these great campaigns!

1 Like

That’s really sweet of you! It may have given a boost since downloads are increasing a little faster! Where could I read it?

Here’s the link: Age of Empires 2 Community (English) | Facebook It’s posted under my name Liz Kocab. Good luck!

1 Like

I think I can’t see the posts without a Facebook account which I don’t have unfortunately. But don’t worry, I was just curious ahah! Stay tuned for another campaign I’m working on to come out in the next months!

1 Like

Ehi were you able to finish the campaign at last?