Crashes 10 min in the game

Since the April update (Love it! Great updates on the game play and the graphics), the game crashes spontaneously. First only sporadically but now I cannot finish a game. There is no error msg. May be related that the video blacks out every now and then: 1, 2 seconds and then it is back, unless it crashed. Nobody else?
Surface Pro (V), docking block, 27" monitor. Playing on my laptop, solo. +3 AI players.

I created a new topic because the others are all from before the update and they often came with an error msg.

Windows Application log: Faulting application name: AoEDE.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cd4c430
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x13a31007
Exception code: 0xc0000005

First welcome here on the forum and thank you for posting the application event log error.

Could you check through device management for an update of your GPU driver?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. All my updates are on automatic. So always latest driver installed.
I rebooted my docking station as I know this might help with graphics/display errors from past experiences. I am still investigating whether this has the desired effect. So far the game has not crashed on me anymore, but I have also changed the game to 1:1 and so maybe they are too short for the problem to re-occur. I did get the glitch of a 1 sec blackout during gameplay.

Not all drivers are updated automatically through Windows update is my experience.

Also I would like to recommend to check for firmware updates for the Thunderbolt port and dock of your Surface. That could be an issue as well as you use secondary screen connected to it.

Lastly I would check how hot the Surface is getting by using a CPU temperature measurement tool as it might get too hot.

https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

1 Like

Nevertheless, the display driver was up to date.
Really liked the suggestion of the docking firmware upgrade. Didn’t even know that existed.
I suspect it will do the trick.
The Surface is all spec’d out so I don’t expect issues running the game.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hm. Alas. Again a crash last night when I moved back to 3 AI-players, about 15min in. I’ll play without the docking today to see if it still happens.
Not sure whether I should move this to Windows support since I only have the issue with the game.
Faulting application name: AoEDE.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cd4c430
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x13a31007
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001887b8
Faulting process ID: 0x37e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d50f1b4ec0fdd9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.22960.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AoEDE.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll
Report ID: 70e308a8-672e-4d86-a2b4-5bee13df9063
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.22960.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Too bad. I wasn’t that sure yet it would help, but couldn’t hurt to check this.

Do you play other games (using DirectX) as well on that laptop?

Also did you change your primary screen to be that external monitor, use duplicate mode or do you use it as secondary in extended desktop mode?

I use the latter, but my external screen is connected to built-in D-Sub VGA connector. It works fine without crashes. My laptop can get hot though when I play this game.

I would first check on internal display only too before elevating to Windows support.

Secondary only - mode.
I really liked that you pointed me to the docking firmware. I didn’t even know it ran on software :slight_smile: No, I only play this. The rest on phone.
I think you were on the right track advising me to check the temperature. That may be it. I now stopped after the first glitch and let it cool down. Then I remembered I installed a bunch of new drivers (that hung until then) on May 15th and that that’s when trouble started. Either it is getting warmer, or they set the threshold lower. Also, I live in Singapore :sweat: :fire:
Thanks for your help.

You are welcome of course. The temp program also has an alert option. Keep the forum posted with your findings please. Maybe the dev team has to adjust the APM a little for your CPU type.

Hm. Have been managing to play the game by keeping an eye on heat. It also helped to lower the screen resolution somewhat. But,…, this morning spontaneous game crash only seconds in the game. Maybe it is something else then?

Then maybe something is not up-to-date with sensor drivers for your surface.

Also it might not have been shutdown completely the last time? So maybe it was rather hot already?

I would check the following items.

Open Device Manager again. Click view and show hidden devices. Then unfold System devices Right click all the devices named Motherboard resources and System board and choose Update driver. There click on Search automatically for updated driver software. And to be sure do the same thing with all the other devices below System devices.

There could be some updates for drivers available which are not installed through Windows updates or sometimes fail to install correctly that way. If it tells you to reboot you can stall this until later and finish the others first. Then finally reboot your surface and check again.

I do know that all these ultra types of devices although small and powerful are not the best choice to buy in Asia. The lower micron design will satisfy the TJ much sooner at increased environment temperatures and high wattage requirement which burns the CPU.

Fun fact. For the same reason the challenger was stuffed full with old thick ceramic and heavy 8086 CPU’s, but they used thousands of them. With exiting and entering the atmosphere the friction disposes a lot of heat.