Critique the devs and game, not the reasons you were bad at playing it

I am playing the game, although not enjoying myself as i am with age 2 or age 3.

criticism is not bad. Devs are watching, may fix stuff.

1 Like

Just to clarify, my opinion was that the playercount itself comes from the brandname and Microsoft
if it were a series Age of [Anything], without Microsoft (independently) it would be different;
itā€™s not really the best RTS game with redeeming gameplay to get people to play.

his statement was: ā€œIf it continues soon it will be below age 2 in numbers of playersā€¦ā€
I agree. over time, (and opinion: yes AoM and AoE3 were still better crafted). The charts you show already show the avg difference is like ~5000 players and going down.

But, I think you missed something (that can explain that current ~5000 gap):
https://steamdb.info/app/221380/graphs/ : +5096
Untitled5
nonsteam services, vanilla game (voobly, gameranger, etc.): easily ~+1000

AoE2 does actually hold about equal current players at this present time as AoE4, whose release hype is going down, so I would say, AoE2(1999) and re-releases are on track to be more popular. He was right.

You should also keep in mind that AoE4 has helped several players get to know the AoE saga.

You should also keep in mind that an RTS, MOBA or genres of the style, without a solid competitive system where there must be a lot of tournaments, tends to be played less.

You should also bear in mind that some maybe played AoE2 2-3h on average and now play less.

You should also keep in mind that AoE4 went on sale on October 28 and you calculate data from July. Letā€™s see if next year it keeps the numbers.

Steam is not the only platform where you can play AoE4.

1 Like

It seems almost all the replies or points are being ā€˜censoredā€™ and ā€˜removedā€™ without any warning.

If you have to censor because it made you look worse, itā€™s not worth my time nor anyoneā€™s timeā€¦

example of a post that maybe had 1 negative word in it but otherwise was sort of useful:
7ae7c28788d45083d3fc0de6f14148ea1d74db43

If you want to not discuss negative game reviews thatā€™s one thing but donā€™t tailor to change the look as if it is less damning.

2 Likes

If someone loves the AoE franchise and does not love AoE4, this is precisely where they should be posting. I submit that constructive criticism from those of us who feel that AoE4 failed in its mission to appeal to lifelong players of this franchise should be very valuable information to anyone tasked with capturing that market in future content.

Please do not gatekeep this forum. That is how echo chambers are created. Iā€™ve been on this forum for about 10 years, and we have always served as a clearinghouse for all kinds of opinions, and the franchise is stronger for it.

3 Likes

The problem is more with people that are making non-constructive criticism or people that are upset this isnā€™t a carbon copy of aoe2.

Itā€™s annoying because a decent number of the forum threads are made by the same 1-2 guys making new accounts and hating on devs.

3 Likes

aoe 4 is not good to play atm. better playy other meanwhile they try to fix it

1 Like

It was hard to get your point but yeah, I agree, it needs work. but the problem is, when it does solve all issues, people will have lost interest and moved on.

Iā€™m still waiting to see a single person thinking that on this forum.
Itā€™s the apologistsā€™ Yeti.

If you think pointing at something AOE2 did better equals wanting another AOE2 then youā€™re just too dense to see the point.

2 Likes

they already did. from the charts in Age of Empires IV - Steam Charts you can see that the 70k that used to have in its playerbase now its reduced to less than 20k

Unfortunatly the minority are always the loudest

A lot of the complaints (thereā€™s even a dedicated thread to it) is I like how AOE2 did this so AOE4 should do it that way too, not understanding that this is a different game and different doesnt mean bad.

You are free to dislike the game, that;s fine. I personally greatly enjoy AOE4 and mostly just hope that bugs like those that plague Delhi get fixed (and maybe a small horseman buff).

Again, no one was stating they want a re-vamp of the 20 years old AoE2.

They were only pointing out that it still ended up the better game; aoe4 even has 1st year release momentum

(It happened as we and the other comments predicted)

Try making an RTS game without stealing brandname perhaps.

I still only feel itā€™s bad that it was a soulless cash grab, sparking peopleā€™s interest only because the originals were higher quality.

Just say what is clearly defined by logic and intellect: new devs were bad, they couldnā€™t make a good game on their own, then the SJWs came over to ruin another brand that was made good by other devs that made their product almost legendary status; as usual it doesnā€™t matter where it happens, they take brand of anything old that was kind of cool or quality, and milk it to death.

Like concept of a failure saying they know they canā€™t something, but if they disguise and cheat as someone who can, they might trick people to like them just long enough until it gets exposed. It really is just truth here even if itā€™s an ugly one!

2 Likes

Having a pro game casting for AOM, but a ā– ā– ā– ā–  casual game for AOE4? No a winter series?
Nice review man, you lost all of your credibility.