Crossbowmen get weaker as you upgrade them since Papal Guard update

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 100.12.13490.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Since the Papal Guard update, crossbowmen attack 2x slower once you upgrade 'em to Guard or Imperial (they go from 1.5 attack speed to 3), but their attack doesn’t become 2x higher, thus making useless compared to skirmishers who have the same attack speed, but with higher attack, HP, and counter bonuses, and don’t cost wood

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start a skirmish game, and create a non-upgraded or veteran crossbowman
  2. Note the 1.5 attack speed
  3. Upgrade yer crossbowman to guard and/or imperial
  4. Note the 3 attack speed
  5. Use skirmishers instead

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Units should get better as you upgrade 'em, not worse

pretty sure they always have 3 rof from the start. The bug here would be finding a xbow with 1.5 rof

Crossbow always have 3.0 rof from legacy. But I agree with the point of them have no use after having skirmisher or in late game. Though changing their heavy infantry multiplier to infantry with the guard upgrade can make them have the same role as skirmisher in aoe2.

personally i think some extra range and dmg in the late game would be nice.

i am not certain this unit needs to be useful in the lategame but making them a sort of weaker longbow/yumi (so good vs all infantry and excellent vs ranged cav) doesn’t seem like a terrible idea. esp considering the unit is actually quiet expensive due to wood cost.

1 Like

they always had the 3 second attack ? and ofc the crossbowman has to be weaker than the skirmisher idk what are u trying to come up with here…

I’ve tried to reproduce this bug but couldn’t. To me the attack speed is always 3, before and after the politician.