D3D11 Error responsible for very frequent crashing in game

Hello everyone. I come here to share my way of fixing this issue. I know it has been more than a year from the last reply, and i’m just new here. If you happen to read this and have any other suggestion solution, let me/us know!

First of all, my crash was related of course with video performance, i crashed about 2-5 min in-game, single player or multiplayer; i figured out this has to do with the way the game asks for resources from your GPU, then it can’t receive whats requiered and crashes. I figured this out because after my actions to “solve” it, mini-lags still ocurred - the same mini-lagging wich did lead before to a D3D11 crash and exit of the game. Now this mini lags still occur and are annoying but i get to play. They look and feel the same as the mini lag that is perceived when a CIV ages UP. Know what I mean?

THE SOLUTION: The only thing that finally stopped the crashes was the program GeForce Experience. I used it to set the configuration to full performance, as the image shows:

AOE3DE solution

I have to make it clear, though, that before this, i did everything i found out there, in this post, other forums, and every recommendation for avoiding this crash, so I can’t specify if this method i am offering is the ultimate solution, or if it worked because of the summary of all of it.

Anyway, i’ll try to make a list of everything i did before finally solving my D3D11 crash (i did it but didnt fixed it)

• antivirus/malware ######### using Windows defender and Malwarebytes (found some bugs)

• system checks: SFC, DISM, both. I did fix a couple of files…

• Updated GPU driver (clean install) two times, also verifying DirectX version, Physix version, etc. (from GeForce Experience)

• Did a registry check and system repair, i think with Ccleaner AND Tweking.com-Windows_repair_aio (search it, it’s a weird program, but trusted by some geeks, so was enough for me… did repair 1 file/process)

• used adwcleaner.exe just in case, everything clear.

• Used Nvidia Panel control to: set “performance” on global setting, and also Picked Up AgeOfEmpiresIII.exe for configure some settings, as the frames per second (fps) set to max.60fps. Also, deactivated and tweaked some other things in search of full performance sacrificing quality… (don’t judge this decision, I have a powerfull computer but nothing seemed to work!)

• I set the Tunning to a Standard option (instead of “Performance”) (from my MotherBoard’s “Program Phantom Gaming Tunning”)

• i reseted/refreshed the memory? of the GPU before any play: windows+ctrl+shift+B (makes the motnitor blink a couple of times)

• also, used Nvidia Panel Control AND Windows graphic Settings to force the computer to ONLY USE Graphic card GPU, while in game and outside, just to make sure (but it did not made a diference).

• Inside the game, i limited the FPS to 60 again, and reduced some graphic settings: deactivated (bloom, antialising, Vsync) and set every configuration to medium/low and maybe shadows to high - but never ultra high) …this helped, but only to extend my game for about 5 min more. After this, i went directly to GeForece experience and set the already announced “solution”.

I struggled with this problem for about 5 days…
Before this, i used to have this crash for about 1 in 20-40 times, and after maybe more than 1-2 hours of in-game. I’ve played for about 220 hours by now…
What i can suspect did throw the spark that set the fire of crash after crash, was that i updated maybe 5 or 6 drivers in a row (audio, BT, wifi, graphics, and others…) and i didnt play again like for 1 or 2 days after that, and was very lazy to just uninstall everything/return to previous version when the crash started happening in-game. So i wanted to fix it the right way. It’s a problem of the video-resources needed that somehow the game can’t seem to get it the right way and crashes. As i played this a lot before the updates mentioned, i suspect it has to do with the last UpdatePatch 15.30007 (december 13th 2023) in combination with MY own upgrades.

I blame Microsoft anyway. My PC/GPU is very robust so this shouldnt happen in this game… hope this is fixed soon.