Dear Wall Haters - Wall Lorax

i did bring up the actual genuine problem with walls being their build mechanics
i wanna go into specifics
in aoe2 it acts as the following:

only wall segment going through the woodline, stone deposit etc. is being prevented from construction, and gates can be build independently or on not yet built wall
in aoe3 it acts as following:

this is how the game skips trees and mines etc. to enable easy construction

here is the example of pillarless walls micro trick used to save bit of wood and speed up construction, update to stone in aoe3 is done on the walls or via church, global either way

and here are the gates after you convert the choosen segments, only longest segments count for gates
now how it works as of this moment in aoe4:

this is how wall behaves when nothing blocks construction

proof that the gates won’t be allowed to construct until you start building that wall segment

gate being constructed, after the wall segments were already built at least partially

what happens when a single tree or mine is in the way of the wall

and stone gates sharing palisade gate requirement of premade wall to allow construction
i hope this post provides enough evidence on what the actual problem with aoe4 walls is
also not mentioned above but worth noting, you can incorporate other buildings as make shift walls, for instance houses, military production buildings, all buildings work like this really, in aoe2 and 3, and in both of those games, the walls and buildings can be used to connect your walls and teammate walls as a single barrier, in aoe4, you cannot use buildings for walls, and you cannot connect your actual walls to your teammate walls, it always leaves a gap if attempted

5 Likes