Deconstructing Age of Empires IV Trailers - [piece by piece]

Thank you very appreciated!

Thanks!! Well yes, it does look different. After so many years the leap was going to be pretty big, and to be honest i expected something different than just a mere graphic update but with the same style.
Let’s hope that at least, besides looking different, still feels like AoE

1 Like

It’s kind of late to post this now maybe, but there are some things that i also got watching the trailers and forgot to put on the table. Better to be late than never they say, so let’s go into it.

We all saw the farms and mills spreading over there, but what about wood resource recolection? here is what i got:

RESOURCES
We can see some trees felled near the walls outside the base

And here some Mongols villagers chopping a tree and collecting it like in the old ways of Age 2 (number 1 in the picture), transporting the wood collected (not an neverding resource collection like in Age III) and also other ones (villagers number 2) slaughtering sheeps for food.

GAMEPLAY CAMERA AND PERSPECTIVE

Not much to say here than just it seems that the camera angle for it still the same as the whole saga and almost every RTS. Also the ZOOM IN/OUT looks like to be done with mouse wheel rather than also using the ALT key like in Age III.

GAMEPLAY DETAILS

Here just some stuff that most of all have noticed. There are quite often some weapon racks (with bows) over the walls from time to time, wich looks like a nice detail but i wonder if also it will have some function or if it is just mere aesthetics.

IDLE VILLAGER ANIMATION

Seems than now, besides it still having an icon to detect idle villagers, they also will have a little animation on it for a quick detection (yes, its a Zzz over his head).

TYPE OF HOUSES?

I was wondering about the different type of houses till i’ve noticed that one has chickens next to it.

SQUAD LEADERS & MORE

As we can see below there are some things we can recognize, like the Merchant, a Squad leader for what it seems for that cavalry patrol… some ‘‘tents’’ near the gate and then, here is a thing i wonder. In the second cuadrant we can se clearly a soldier pointing with his sword like giving orders. We can all think that is a kind of leader/general kind of something, but one second later he just transforms in a normal Axemen soldier, so what the heck?

5 Likes

One thing I noticed and hasnt been said is that the mongol villagers are milking the sheep, not killing them, if you watch closely.

1 Like

Zzz’s over his head? Ugh. Good eye to see that. What if they have exclamation points (!) over their head when they’re alerted and ready for combat? Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid :wink:

Maybe it will be cute/neat… but I guess I’ll have to see it in-game to know if it will bother me. Seems unnecessary to me, as I’m okay with not being spoon-fed every detail in games. If I mess up and don’t see I have idle villagers for 5 minutes, that’s my fault :smiley:

Well, in this one the sheep looks without skin and kind of dead to me, but the milking thing is not a bad idea!
sheep

I would love it, both ways are cool and pretty easy to recognize!

Can i get your eyes please? I looked at this video like close to 100, and every time you spot something, I look at the video differently.

Thanks for sharing dude, keep it coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dude, what the…I thought they were skinning them. I went back, and yeah you’re right. LOL!! I can’t wait for this game now. Mongols play close to how they lived.

EDIT: No they’re slaughtering them. It would be nice if food gathering action happen randomly. Like you milk it or slaughter it. Especially in farmhouse or something.

Haha thanks man! Whenever you want! Hope you like the green colour :smile:

It takes some time but i go frame per frame (more or less) and look carefully every single cuadrant of the picture and zoom in if i see something strange at the distance.
It takes time yeah but there are tons of details you can unveil putting attention to it.

1 Like

No kidding, the stuff you have shown in this thread is amazing. I really appreciate them all, make me see trailer differently while get me more confident in the product. Have a blessed day O`Green Eyed friend!

2 Likes

Same for you pal’ !

I can’t wait to put my hands (or eyes :rofl:) in another vídeo of Age IV !!

2 Likes

Well, one year has passed away and still waiting for another video, picture or anything to watch closelly and unveil their secrets within. Hope December will be the month of it. It would be a nice xmass present :smile:

1 Like

yes.maybe in the game awards 2020(10th december),we can see aoe4.

or, halo developer said “big update soon”,maybe that means an xbox showcase soon?

Well i don’t want to seem pessimistic but i don’t think they will show us anything related with Age IV. It will probably be all for Halo and about the new xbox that’s all.

I’ll hope to be wrong and they give us something at least.

2 Likes

Do you guys think the COVID situation will delay the game launch? I dont see why it would but…you never know. Trailer was a pre-alpha version, so maybe they are finalicing the alpha and soon they get into betas. Maybe a closed beta by march 2021? I expected release by autumn 2021…

this would be rushed just like DE games so they better release it in 2022

2 Likes

I expect Closed Beta is sometime between March and October 2021.
Autumn 2021 is earliest, 2022 most likely release imo. I’m sure Covid impacts the release, but Relic hired many new employees this year, so I think the delay is not so big.

1 Like

They don’t show videos or pictures about the game. At least written information should be provided until the presentation is ready. In this way, people will satisfy their curiosity and become more curious :slight_smile:

Is not just that, much feedback can be provided showing videos of pictures too. All this time can be used to gather information from the community. What if they wait too much and when they decide to give us a pice of the cake we don’t like it at all? More delay caomming to change everything they could’ve made wrong.

It’s an extreme scenario but you got the point. Not saying to give us a 10 min gameplay, but a short video of 2/3 minutes long could be something at least.

3 Likes

Well, April 10 is the day guys, it finally came to us! More Age 4 news incomming along with Age II and III

Get ready for another deconstructing series when it came out.

In case you missed it, here is the announce

It has some little new gameplay over there too, just a little scene.

1 Like

Please do not bump topics per the forum code of conduct and start a new topic about the fan preview event in the #fan-preview-2021 category.