Delay, wishes, hopes

Summary of my opinion:

1. The delay is… heartbreaking. Been talking to friends about it. I lost all hype for months with the silence, it finally gets this close that i get my hype back up and a delay this late? Gosh that is just poor timing management.

2. The original game. I know you want a tweaked game for ongoing multiplayer support like AOE2. I want the original AOE, i want to load up the maps and play against AI, friends, family. Never was competitive and I loved it. If changes are to be made to the game for multiplayer balancing please consider singleplayer campaign/skirmishes.

3. Hopes. New maps, a random map generator, new scenarios taking you through history, ■■■■ maybe even a new faction or two would be nice (i doubt it though). Basically more of the same game to keep engagement for longer.

I havn’t been in the beta so I don’t have any specific tips for changes, these are just my umbrella hopes for this game :slight_smile:

Yep delay is not something that enybody wants but i think it is better that they dont rush the game and make it as good as possible. Probably there will be some changes and with the extra time mayde they can make something what you described in the section 3.

Didn’t they give any decent explanation for this?

They did. They need more time. Sometimes I have to do things. They occasionally take longer than I originally expected.

just wish they were a little more honest with themselves with the ambition of the task, obladi oblada la la la la life goes on…

hopefully they greatly expand their beta testing pool and properly stress test it :slight_smile:

(hint hint)

New campaigns would be nice, despite unlikely…

I’m very disappointed. When they revealed the release date there were about 2 months left. For a project of this size, the last 1-2 month should be for solely testing purpose. They shouldn’t be implementing any new features or making any changes on the code. If they didn’t finish the coding work they should have realized the delay is inevitable. Therefore they could release this message to the public earlier, certainly not a week before the releasing date.

I guess they must rushed all the way in order to meet the 20th anniversary. However eventually they had to give up and postpone the release. They have been gambling and unfortunately they lost.

Perhaps the beta helped them see that they have a serious flaw in the game and instead of making all of us suffer with it, they are fixing it. Idk.

All I know is I cannot wait to play this again.

Apparently, people (supposedly) that have been able to play the beta generally stated: “It’s not ready yet.” So, that should give everybody a hint as to why it got delayed.

The developers probably tried to sort out the issues by the 20th anniversary date and were not successful, therefore, were forced to delay the game at the last minute.

Better to delay it for a complete/stable launch than to release it now for an incomplete/buggy launch.

It’s true I don’t want a buggy game, that doesn’t stop it being disappointing that it was so last minute. Right when the hype was building up. A month in advance? not as bad, same week as release? kinda sucks.

I just want to play the same game but with better AI. I am kinda scared that there will be massive changes that new players might not pick up but veterans will notice and feel weird playing the game.
A ‘classic’ version with the same graphics and audio but smarter AI would be my pick over a rebalanced game with the new graphics and audio, pure preference of course.

My main reason for returning to this forum though is because I got refunded. I’m concerned i’ll have to rebuy. Anyone know if the order is still there and we will be charged again when the new release happens or if I have to reorder?

Just been thinking about this: it’s clear that the product was not quite ready and they needed more time.
But what if they delayed to test the new Windows 10 creator’s update?
This new Aoe will be compatible only with Windows 10. It makes sense to me that they need to test the main OS before releasing a game constructed to be played only on that OS.
This is why i think that we will not see the release of the definitive edition until the Creator’s Update becomes an official update for win10 users.

@Totalste said:
Just been thinking about this: it’s clear that the product was not quite ready and they needed more time.
But what if they delayed to test the new Windows 10 creator’s update?
This new Aoe will be compatible only with Windows 10. It makes sense to me that they need to test the main OS before releasing a game constructed to be played only on that OS.
This is why i think that we will not see the release of the definitive edition until the Creator’s Update becomes an official update for win10 users.

That’s a good point.

If that is the case, the team is due a visit or three from Captain Hindsight me thinks.