Devs PoV about adding More Civs

We ain’t getting new civs till 2022 at the earliest (probably not 2 years back to back, tbh). This means there’s at least 12 (probably more) monthly patches for the devs (not just FE) to fix ongoing issues with the game.

If people REALLY want a general “mountain civs” expac, Tibetans, Georgians, Swiss and Bohemians could all fit into that (Bohemia’s got a big chunk of the Carpathians, and those were a big deal in sheilding them from Magyars during the Hussite wars).

Imho, most likely, they’ll go far East for the next xpac (if we get one)- breaking down Indian civs, adding Thai to fill out the SE Asia (Indochina is not a proper term anymore I don’t think? IDK, it was a thing in the old historical atlases I learned my history from), and maybe Tibetans as well.

1 Like

we literally just got 6 new civs in 14 months, why is it hard to assume we can’t get more before 2022?

4 Likes

I think we are looking at 2 civs per year. It is possible to have notheer small expansion till the end of 2021 if we are not goewing to get Age4 this year. But I still think one expansion 2 cvs per year is the way it would go.

2 Likes

Remains to be seen; i’d rather they take their time and give me a meatier expansion down the line. I mentioned elsewhere, my ideal for next x pac is 4 new civs (Tibet, Thai + 2 Indian civs) + 5 campaigns (all of the above plus a Battles-style campaign for China/rest of Far East).

Not sure how many people are aware, but one of the game’s biggest design communities is in China (HawkAoC); AoE1 was huge in Vietnam, and with the addition of the Vietnamese I’m sure the devs want to bring those p;layers on board to AoE2;

And India is obviously a huge emerging market; I can totally see more content being tailored for that region, and I’m totally down for it, because I love history and discovering things about areas of the world I didn’t know as much about before through games like AoK is always a treat;

1 Like

I would love if the devs would go back to adding civs outside of Eurasia.

It’s a shame that those racist memers (you probably know what I’m talking about) are probably part of the reasons why we haven’t gotten anything on that regard lately, further giving the impression that those world regions have nothing interesting to offer anymore in the time scope of AOE2 which is just wrong ( e.g. Kanem-Bornu Empire).

I hope they’ll be open on that regard if we should get even more expansions. If not, we’ll end up adding Bavarians which would feel IMO wrong next to huge blobs like Indians or Malians.

2 Likes

A few question for the community:

• Would indians be pretty much covered if split into rajputs + dravidians + bengals? I don’t know a lot about medieval india, but oriyas or some central indians might be excluded with these civs. What could be better umbrellas otherwise?

• Are the Xi Xia dinasty (tanguts) worth adding into the game in your opinion? Like, reallisticly, knowing that we’re not have 100 civs. Maybe there are other priorities.

• Would you rather have Somalians or Kongolese added to the game?

• To the slav splitters: Just looking at the bonus and the tech tree, if “orthodoxy” and “druzhina” were renamed to something less russian and the if monastery was not so obviously orthodox but a fictional mix of catholic and orthodox, would you still say that slavs don’t represent western slavs? Again, considering that we’re not having 100 civs and maybe african, americans or indian civs are a priority.

2 Likes

There are no perfect umbrellas, but a Tamils (South India) + a Odyas (East India) civs would actually help cover most of the subcontinent.
Bengals are more of a British Raj thing, and the base Indians civ can already cover for the North of India.

Kongolese, since we already have an East Afican civ, but no Central one.

1 Like

It would probably be 2 civs every six months.

4 Likes

Yes we absolutely need these civilizations to better represent europe in it’s vast diversity

As our veteran contributor JonOli said, Western Europe isn’t even close to the most represented group
Europe in general needs more

how many more copies of the same civilizations? burgundians and frank are literally the same, both speak french, both are heavy cavalry civs. no i don’t want tiny kingdoms from west europe when huge empires remain uncovered in the rest of the world. :face_with_thermometer:

4 Likes

I agree with you. Kanembu Empire, Uyghur Khaganate, Liao Empire, and Tibetan Empire were bigger than damn West Europe.

2 Likes

Mongol empire was bigger than all of them, so what, should we just make a game with only mongols?
Devs are making civs which they know will sell, their choice has nothing to do with the supposed “value” of an empire or culture in history (if there is such a thing). Just deal with it or go play something else.

1 Like

What are you talking about? It is age of empires, not age of microsoft pets or age of courtyards and villages. All the DLCs sell the same way, 99% of the community buy the civs because of their bonuses, playstyle blahblahblah. What is next? Americans or Dinosaurs? It would sell well for the USA people

4 Likes

At least better than adding courtyards and villages (Bruh-gandains and Si-silly-ans) as empires. As @CheshireWig3203 said if they want to add something then make it worthy, like Khazars, Liao empire, Tibetans, Uyghor, Jourchens, Mughals. If you want to talk about breaking the damn umbrella system, you can get 10,000 empires for Chinese, 100,000 empires for Indians, 1000 for Saracens/Berbers/Persians…but it is not funny at all and i was not agree to add any new civs at all after the DE with 4 new ones (Tatars, Bulgars, Cumans and Lithuanians).

3 Likes

There is no question about it. The following empires must be included:

Tibetan Empire
Kanembu Empire
Jurchen Empire
Ghorid Empire
Chola Empire
Pala Empire

6 Likes

It seems parthnan is back

3 Likes