Disappointed on Campaign

No.
Because they are pretty much the Asian version of Europe.

-Fragmented into many warring states in the shadow of a previous Imperial system.
-Emperor is the emissary of the Goddess.
-Warrior class completely dedicated to eternal combat, so much so that they often caused wars solely to both justify and secure their political-military positions.
-Scheming warlords, all with imperialist amibitions, vying for power and a position that was actually stronger than the Emepror’s mostly ceremonial throne.
-A martial sense of Honour and Universal Order upon which all things were based.
-Militant monastic Orders that could sway the fate of entire conflicts.
-Spiteful internecene competition for whom would climb the ladder to the troneroom of the Shogun, by entreprising colonial conquests on the Asian mainland.

Sengoku Jidai Japan (which is the period most people think of, even if they do not know the name of the Era, or what it truly was in the grander scope of Japanese History) was a lot like Europe.
And we Europeans LOVE Europe!

4 Likes

Japanese and Vikings are iconic, therefore they both should be in the game for fans, nothing wrong with it

4 Likes

Except Vikings should be called Norse, as Viking was a job, not the name of a culture.

5 Likes

Yeah, also better cuz Vikings are no more after the 11th century

3 Likes

I dont know how much of all of that is true, some sound very stereotypical and the ‘asian version of europe’ certainly sounds sketchy tbh. We know that Japanese had tendencies of superiority towards the rest of Asian people.
But in any case, do you honestly believe that these are the reasons that Japanese are popular in gaming and movies? I can assure you it’s not. It’s cinema and its simplifications that make them popular.

Also guys, remember those ships we saw at the end or April 10th that was a teaser to something, have we decided what civ those ships referenced? if not it’s likely that they are hinting to future dlc.

Go and read about the Sengoku Jidai, then.

Yes.
Yes I do. And before you say “Hollywood”, it heavily demonized Japanese culture before and during WW2, but we Portuguese have been in love with the place ever since we set foot in it.

It is a sailor thing, most wouldn’t get it…

2 Likes

Hopefully you realize that after ww2 and the Marshall plan, Japan became one of US closest allies :smiley: and the shift in the way they are nowadays presented have obviously absolutely nothing to do with 80 years ago. But whatever

I think you’d love AoEO. We have the Norse

To be fair, the curb appeal of a civ is absolutely a good factor in choosing civs in this franchise. For better or worse, players enjoy certain civs for the opportunity to play a quasi historical people they have already learned to love.

1 Like

Stop trying to sell me AoEO, please.
I am never going to play it. It looks too cartoony.

1 Like

You don’t have to play it to love its civ design.

1 Like

I know :smiley: no objection there, just mentioned the underlying reason that everyone loves Japan. And I doubt it has anything to do with accurate historical depictions

3 Likes

I cannot tell you how many requests we get to do the Japanese next in AoEO. People love those samurai. We keep having to break hearts explaining they just don’t fit our era.

1 Like

Funny as it may sounds I believe Japanese would match better into the goofiness of AoEO despite having nothing to do with the setting :smiley:

2 Likes

Indeed! As I understand it, there have been two HUGE Turkish historical tv dramas recently that have captivated the patriotic hearts of the majority of the modern Turkish people. This would make a profitable campaign if not for the fact that the majority of Turkish people still make a teeny minority of the game’s playerbase.

Most of the world couldn’t care less about “Turkish Guy: Rise of the First Ottoman Guy” or its sequel/prequel “Turkish Guy’s Dad: Dad of the First Ottoman Guy”. A Seljuk campaign is not the obvious choice for a campaign pick.

1 Like

You could have Yayoi period Japan, including the fights against the Ainu and Emishi that used to inhabit the isles.

You could even have the civ go all the way to the reign of Himiko, the Shaman-Queen. She even has a proto-galaxy anmed after her, I believe.

The Samurai were called the “ghosts of the Emishi” precisely because they learned their fighting style from them,

You could effectively have Noble Retainers as proto-Samurai.

Another hater.

2 Likes

Perhaps Scandinavians even, since we do enter the 1500s and ‘Norse’ sounds a little old by then

I raise you one better: Danes!
Denmark even transitioned out of the Middle Ages as a short-lived Colonial Power, so it fits the entire timeline.

2 Likes

Byzantium, Turks, Japanese, Norse are missing for now - these are a must.

1 Like