Does Microsoft lack confidence in new AOE Team?

I have been thinking, the fact that in recent years all we have been getting from the new AOE team is remakes of the older games, does this mean Microsoft doesn’t have confidence that they are competent in making a new AOE game. I love these remakes of these older games that I love and have spent so many hours playing, but I also really want a new AOE or AOM game. Thoughts?

Well the people behind it are not full fledged devs either mostly, I dont think they can build up a new game from the ground all that well.
Plus building up a new game requires a lot more recources than M$ is willing to invest, remakes are ‘quick and easy’ and they use the legacy of quick cash.
Besides even some of the remakes and DLC are a disaster, how could such a team pull off a new game.

@smitske said:
Well the people behind it are not full fledged devs either mostly, I dont think they can build up a new game from the ground all that well.
Plus building up a new game requires a lot more recources than M$ is willing to invest, remakes are ‘quick and easy’ and they use the legacy of quick cash.
Besides even some of the remakes and DLC are a disaster, how could such a team pull off a new game.

Idk, but I still have the feeling that age of empires IV is coming sooner than we think

@JarringTooth663 said:

@smitske said:

Idk, but I still have the feeling that age of empires IV is coming sooner than we think

Not so sure about that one, because of their legacy with the previous games being so well done, especially aoe2 and aom, i think it’s very hard to make a game that will satisfy the community. Even Aoe3 has not been received that well, people compare it with aoe2 and can only see the flaws in it.

@StalePenguin810 said:

@JarringTooth663 said:

@smitske said:

Not so sure about that one, because of their legacy with the previous games being so well done, especially aoe2 and aom, i think it’s very hard to make a game that will satisfy the community. Even Aoe3 has not been received that well, people compare it with aoe2 and can only see the flaws in it.

well, then just make a game as good as age of empires 2, or better

They should bring back as many guys from Ensemble Studios as it’s possible to make AoE4, and team them up with people from Forgotten Empires as they’re doing a great job with very limited resources.

With such a mix of experience and fresh blood, I’m pretty sure new AoE4 would be a really great game we deserve.

@JarringTooth663 said:

@StalePenguin810 said:

@JarringTooth663 said:

@smitske said:

well, then just make a game as good as age of empires 2, or better

The problem is they do not have the team for that, and the people with the knowledge and skills for the series aren’t that plentifull let alone in the ranks of M$.

Rereleasing is still vastly different than starting a game from scratch.

@“IM 0N A H0RSE” said:
does this mean Microsoft doesn’t have confidence that they are competent in making a new AOE game.

I am assuredly on the outside looking in, but as I understand how MS is managing this franchise, there isn’t an actual “AoE Team” in the customary sense. In the last six years, Microsoft has released (or re-released) a total of five different AoE games and another four or five different expansions. In every single one, MS has outsourced the development work to various smaller companies.

Under this method, MS keeps its hands in the mix with a number of MS developers overseeing the projects (presently robeyone is the head MS guy for the franchise). But most of the labor is outsourced. One very important benefit to this approach is that MS doesnt have to hire a bunch of developers for crunch time and then lay them off after the release. Instead, the smaller firms can seemlessly move their guys off of the MS project and onto their own in-house games as needed.

None of these reasons seems to have anything to do with MS not having confidence in the developers.

As for MS’s approach to re-releasing three of its core titles (AoE2, AoM, and now AoE) and then developing additional expansions for those old titles, I am pretty sure that they are squeezing more juice out of old grapes. They can throw a little bit of money into an existing title and resell it all over again. It’s the video game equivalent of special edition extended film re-releases and re-mastered rock albums. Throw a little money into editing the tape from the cutting room floor and you can repackage Sgt. Pepper with six discs, a glossy photo book, and a $130 price tag.

Here, the prevailing theory is that MS continues to press these old grapes to keep AoE relevant while they are working away in the background developing an actual new game. Obviously, we can’t test this theory right now. But we can hope.

A downside of that is that we will not likely see a new age of game and that the quality can be quite dramatic like with AoM.

I am not as optimistic as you are on the goals though, they dont want to keep it relevant for a new game they want to use the name for easy cash.

@FlatSky72519129 said:
They should bring back as many guys from Ensemble Studios

You may be interested to read that they have started. Former Ensemble Studios Lead Engineers join FE Team! - Forgotten Empires

While that is enough for a remake I think they need some more for a full fledged new game ;p

@“Andy P” said:

@FlatSky72519129 said:
They should bring back as many guys from Ensemble Studios

You may be interested to read that they have started. Former Ensemble Studios Lead Engineers join FE Team! - Forgotten Empires

Yay! Great news.

What I hope, with this remaster, is that it’ll bring in new AoE fans. More fans could potentially lead to new content. Maybe even a AoE 4? or maybe its just wishful thinking.

@GeohDude said:
What I hope, with this remaster, is that it’ll bring in new AoE fans. More fans could potentially lead to new content. Maybe even a AoE 4? or maybe its just wishful thinking.

Would be nice to see that happen, however with today’s gaming industry i don’t see a lot of new players invest in this gem. It’s not like you can hop right in there and play, the learning curve is quite high imo.

@“IM 0N A H0RSE” said:
I have been thinking, the fact that in recent years all we have been getting from the new AOE team is remakes of the older games, does this mean Microsoft doesn’t have confidence that they are competent in making a new AOE game. I love these remakes of these older games that I love and have spent so many hours playing, but I also really want a new AOE or AOM game. Thoughts?

I think evidenced by the fact Skybox Labs is not shown as a developer on the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition project in conjunction with Forgotten Empires, Microsoft has confidence in the capabilities of the Forgotten Empires team as an independent developer.

@JarringTooth663 said:

@smitske said:

The people feeling that since AoE3.

@FlatSky72519129 said:
They should bring back as many guys from Ensemble Studios as it’s possible to make AoE4, and team them up with people from Forgotten Empires as they’re doing a great job with very limited resources.

With such a mix of experience and fresh blood, I’m pretty sure new AoE4 would be a really great game we deserve.
People from Forgotten mostlynof them are modders, not real devs, only few from Ensemble.

@Augustusman said:

@FlatSky72519129 said:

People from Forgotten mostlynof them are modders, not real devs, only few from Ensemble.

But a modder can break some hard coded ingame stuff and remake a whole bunch of things like The Forgotten Empires is doing with AOE DE.

But they don’t be change too much the game.

In art team they reclutes elite modders.

@smitske said:

Really…you don’t think they are real devs and building a new game is beyond their abilities?
WOW…just…uhm wow.

@“IM 0N A H0RSE” said:

Well when I watched Adam Isgreen at E3 on the PC gaming show announce the future release of AOE DE…he didn’t say a new AOE game was coming but he sure hinted we have not heard the last from this series…it was a tease…but I am sure there were reasons behind it…

I tried to trim it more than once, but it isn’t happening for me…go to 5:50 mark…he hints at something ?