Does Supplies Need A Buff?

Ya all these are beast and cant afford a further price cut

I do not think Supplies needs a buff to see more infantry from infantry civs. I prefer buffs to certain unique infantry to see more infantry from infantry civs. But maybe Supplies should have availability only to infantry civilizations, and non-infantry civilizations with infantry bonuses, as a way to indirectly buff their infantry.

I think devs thought about this, hence removing supplies from various civs. The civs which lost supplies were:

Huns - purely focused on stable and ranges

Lithuanians - focused on stables, monasteries and trash units in barracks and range. Their main infantry is weak, but Halberdiers are 10% and have -1 melee armor.

Chinese - an everything civ in practice. Mainly archer and Cavalier/camel civ. Can use trash when necessary but doesn’t go for barracks otherwise

Mayans - an archer and late game eagle civilization

The striking one is Burgandians which is probably due to balance reasons. Stable and late game archery range (hand cannons) civ. Champions won’t be seen but similar units - Flemish Militia - can be seen.

Cumans - a Stable, SW and Castle civilization. Similar to Chinese, doesn’t use Barracks except for trash. But then again, Camels in Castle Age and Paladins in Imperial Age can mostly counter all cavalry.

Khmer - stable and siege workshop civilization. Can build archery ranges sometimes. The Khmer bonus making Barracks optional is nail in the coffin.

Mongols and Tatars - stable, range, siege workshop and castle civilization. Mongols use Barracks to counter eagles and Tatars use it to counter heavy cavalry.

The ones which I am shocked still have Supplies despite not using infantry are:

Berbers - has full champions for eagles?
Byzantines - definitely not an infantry Civilization, but maybe in the theme of discount on counter units, they have been given supplies
Ethiopians - not an infantry Civilization per say, but access to Shotel warriors means devs were thinking about infantry pairing
Indians - this one is clear. To counter trash, Huskarls and eagles. Lack of Knights is just so prominent.
Magyars - definitely don’t need this
Persians - they can also lose it safely, since their sword line is already trash
Portuguese - they can also lose Supplies, since the gold discount bonus is also there.
Saracens - similar to Indians, but actually have Arbalesters
Spanish - can still lose it, but they feel like jack of all traits, master of weird traits like monks and gunpowder
Turks - can lose it
Vietnamese - can lose it

Supplies is a widespread tech since champions are quite a widespread unit too.

And it’s also very sensible. Militia line has the highest dps/value of all units, so further buffing them could actually disbalance the game because of the snowball potential. You see it with goths. Besides their champs lack very important upgrades, their lategame inf spam is absolutely terrible to deal with.
I don’t think Militia should be buffed to compete with archers and knights. They have their high gold ratio for a good reason. And occasionally we already see inf+siege pushes already. Supplies finally enabled militia play and I actually think it’s overall fine. Just minor adjustments could be made to militia in general, nothing big.
Supplies is actually a very strong tech already. Militia who lacks supplies is basically unplayable (except goths…).

I can’t imagine wanting to tech Champions over Elite Samurai, Jaguars, Woad Raiders, Berserkers, Throwing Axemen, and Kamayuks if given the choice.

Because you haven’t done the math behind them…

Some on your list are definitely less cost effective than champs from the same civ

1 Like

Only buff i would give them is infantry (champions, halbs, eagles, UU) get +10 hp with supplies