Doesnt work unit transparency

Any updates on this issue?

1 Like

i have this problem and no fix so far but today i realize that units will be highlighted only on left edge of the screen. so i just put some units behind trees and then move my camera and when units reach the left edge they got highlighted.
and no flickering its consistent.

1 Like

Thank you all for the report! I have open a task regarding this issue so the team can take a look and see what might be causing the problem. If you learn anything else or discover any workarounds, please do not hesitate to post them here!

Thanks again!

5 Likes

in Update 6159 under Graphics title you can see this :

• Updated treasure nodes to ensure that their Guardians are outlined when hidden behind the treasure structure or other buildings. Note that the Treasure itself will no longer be visible behind other structures as a result of this change.

i hope that unit transparency or obscured alpha thing got fixed but i still cant see units behind trees and buildings no matter the settings.

1 Like

I have an GTX 760. When I play on a GTX 1080 with the exact same age3:DE installation (just switching the graphics card), transparency works. With the 760 it does not work. Reinstall does not work and I also played around a lot with settings without success.
So seems to be hardware dependent. I am using the same gforce experience driver. Maybe different directx support or sth like that

2 Likes

Would you mind providing a copy of your dxdiag.txt file that I can pass along to the team? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here you go. Hope it helps :slight_smile: DxDiag.txt (102.0 KB) Happens on both displays and any resolution

2 Likes

Great! I don’t suppose you also have a game log of a round that highlights the issue? It doesn’t have to be a long one, but a replay file would be most welcome so the team can see exactly what you’re seeing!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Seems like I cannot post recordings directly here, so this is the link to the recording https://we.tl/t-OUpO6kkvGr

I start the game, move the explorer or settlers behind the towncenter and behind trees.

3 Likes

I just wanted to reiterate how annoying the ‘obscured unit alpha’ bug is. I cannot see ANY units behind objects or buildings. I have lost several games so far because I couldn’t see how many troops my opponent had because they were in a forrest or because I couldn’t find a ressource crate behind my town centre. I also believe this to be an issue with older NVIDIA graphics cards. I have a first-generation titan and I’m also using GeForce Experience drivers.

3 Likes

This is an absolutely game breaking bug, as it is impossible to make out ressources (animals), enemy units or even your own idle units! It needs to be adressed ASAP, really a shame that it hasn’t been in the known issues or ongoing investigations. Really makes the game unplayable for people who experience this.

2 Likes

Be careful not to turn off the shadows!

2 Likes

Doesn’t make a difference for us. This appears to be an issue with older NVIDIA GPUs that cannot be fixed by changing any graphics options.

1 Like

I had the same graphics card gtx 760 and the same problem.
I bought a new computer with a gtx 1080ti and the problem no longer persists.
So it seems to be a problem with the (older) graphics cards.

I had a similar problem with Aoe 2 De. There obscured unit alpha worked but the light which appears above buildings while they are researching something was not there. Suddenly with the new graphics card, the researching lights appear.

3 Likes

Even when only affecting older GPUs, this is a serious bug that needs to be investigated ASAP. You just can’t expect fans of a game from 2005 to first buy a recent gaming rig to play the remastered edition without bugs. Especially because heaps of GPUs over the minimum requirements as listed on Steam seem to have this problem. I am honestly shocked that this is still not on the list of “Known Issues”, as of today’s patch. PLEASE look into this!

3 Likes

Every time I read a new patchnote it is with my finger crossed that I won’t have to keep turning shadows on or off as this bug is really annoying

2 Likes

@Dev @GMEvangelos Is there any news on this issue? It is still persisting for many players who don’t have the newest hardware.

2 Likes

I would like to note that I built my friend a pc with a rtx 2060 and when I played the game the unit outline worked upon first starting it up. I copied the exact settings onto my pc (with a gtx 770 and also tried with radeon Vega 8 integrated graphics) and I cannot see the unit outlines. This is frustrating especially when raiding enemy settlers in trees or micro units in trees. Any guidance on how to fix is much appreciated. Thanks!

2 Likes

There is no fix for this issue atm. Except for maybe buying a newer graphics card :confused:

Still no word about it in today’s update
 Quite frustrating!

1 Like