Don't fight about the details (replanting farms or not)

Give the players the option to choose how to deal with farms etc. That will make everyone happy!

Like Empires Apart?

It effects the fairness of multiplay so not everyone will be happy.

But I do want automatic replanting too… Many players are old and just want to play the game comfortably. Forcusing more on real strategy and actual troops micro.

I think Starcraft is more suitable to those people who enjoy the endless macro/micro and click fast to win.

We’ve been through this topic in depth and Kuoting is representing the general consensus very well.
You’ll have to live with Quality of Life improvements.
However, people convinced me that walkablility and/or farmer ai behavior is worth discussing.

I was also about to make a sarcastic remark about not using the search function… then I doublechecked and used it… oh dear.

I’ve fought over this for literally pages on this very forum - it’s confirmed that farms are walkable but that the method of planting them has stayed the same - AFAIK, no queuing, no right-click replanting.

No use arguing anymore…personally, I’m more than happy with the way things have turned out.

Sad that they didn’t fix the farming as that was/is so annoying. At least we can hope that the villager won’t go to another farm, so they are easier to find.

This is laughable indeed. What has happened to the pro gamers that were not bothered by having to do something as simple as buiding another farm? Talk about “focusing” on strategy - No army or nation with no economy has ever been successful in the real world. I would expect that to be the same in a strategy game based on history of the real world. Economy is needed before, during, and after all wars. If anything the economy side of the game should be enhanced and made more difficult.

I know alot of professional aoe gamers of the past and of today would be raging mad about the farms allowing units to walk through them now. The eco runners are gonna obliterate villagers much quicker than before. I must admit, it will be fun laughing about it though :stuck_out_tongue:

@Crook said:
This is laughable indeed. What has happened to the pro gamers that were not bothered by having to do something as simple as buiding another farm? Talk about “focusing” on strategy - No army or nation with no economy has ever been successful in the real world. I would expect that to be the same in a strategy game based on history of the real world. Economy is needed before, during, and after all wars. If anything the economy side of the game should be enhanced and made more difficult.

I know alot of professional aoe gamers of the past and of today would be raging mad about the farms allowing units to walk through them now. The eco runners are gonna obliterate villagers much quicker than before. I must admit, it will be fun laughing about it though :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, history tells us about kings and emperors going around and telling each farmer in their kingdom: “This field is no more good, you have to start working on a different one!”. After all, it’s not like they had more important things to do…

Yea, and then the villagers could move on their own to the next gold mine, build a storage depot near the next group of trees and so on. Cmon…

You really don’t need to worry about the pro gamers… Even in the modern RTS with convenient features, they will always find ways to dominate the battlefield.

The faster players can always perform better than average players in RTS. The convenient features just help average players who don’t like spamming APM and check the farms repeatedly to enjoy the game more comfortably, but won’t reduce the skill gap between the average and pro gamers.

The laughable thing is it is usually the low level players who refuse adding these convenient features to the game.

@Opt1mvs said:
Yea, and then the villagers could move on their own to the next gold mine, build a storage depot near the next group of trees and so on. Cmon…

Of course, as we all know what makes a real pro player is its ability to reseed farm! Not the ability to balance nicely the economy and micro the military units!

I never heard so many illogical arguments in one topic. Why don’t we also make that you have to order the villagers to cut a new tree after they finish the old one? Does it make sense to you? Does it add depth to gameplay? No, it doesn’t, it only introduces a boring and mechanical additional task. Would also like to remove unit queues introduced in RoR for the sake of having more micro to do?
To me it is clear that if Ensemble Studios had the time and the experience to do it, many quality-of-life improvements like waypoints, unit queues and a better farming system would have been implemented in AoE 1. You can easily see this by looking at AoE 2.

Farm queue is okay. I wonder why they didnt add it already. Just add it to the granary. Ive been playing aoe on and off since 1999.ive played all ages. Refarming adds nothing good to the gameplay.

All im saying, is farms should be the last thing anyone should be wanting changed. And If i wanted a “do it all for me” RTS game, id play one of the 100s that are around. What kinda of aoe game do u play? rm, dm, usual, reveal, cho, ns , reg, random, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0? Must come wall paint you asap

Should the elephant hunters run and build new storage pit next to more elephants instead of standing around? what about berries, should they go exploring automatically for new berry bushes? deer? ■■■■, i guess we need to just put economy on “Automatic”. No fear newb, just pump villagers, they will do it all for you.

@Crook said:
All im saying, is farms should be the last thing anyone should be wanting changed. And If i wanted a “do it all for me” RTS game, id play one of the 100s that are around. What kinda of aoe game do u play? rm, dm, usual, reveal, cho, ns , reg, random, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0? Must come wall paint you asap

lol wall painting 3:16

@Crook said:

The unbuilt wall (and other building for that matters) should be walkable too imo.

@Crook said:
Should the elephant hunters run and build new storage pit next to more elephants instead of standing around? what about berries, should they go exploring automatically for new berry bushes? deer?

No. Because animals and berries are short-term food sources and farms are long-term food sources.

Most normal players don’t like to check farms over and over again because it lacks stategic depth and boring. We just want to enjoy the fun and strategic parts of the game.

hell, i guess we need to just put economy on “Automatic”. No fear newb, just pump villagers, they will do it all for you.

I will be fine if the devs are really going to put full automatic economy… Rise of Nations has fully automatic villiagers and it’s standard game is fun. However players still have lots of micros to do like multitask to scout, harass, raid, and fast players still have advantage. You really don’t need to worry about that the automatic functions in any RTS will reduce the skill gap and kill the game…

@Crook said:
Should the elephant hunters run and build new storage pit next to more elephants instead of standing around? what about berries, should they go exploring automatically for new berry bushes? deer?

No. Because animals and berries are short-term food sources and farms are long-term food sources.

Most normal players don’t like to check farms over and over again because it lacks stategic depth and boring. We just want to enjoy the fun and strategic parts of the game.

hell, i guess we need to just put economy on “Automatic”. No fear newb, just pump villagers, they will do it all for you.

I will be fine if the devs are really going to put full automatic economy… Rise of Nations has fully automatic villagers and it’s stardard game is fun. Players still have lots of micros to do like multitask to scout, raid, harass, manually order villagers to hide, and fast players still have advantage. You really don’t need to worry about that the automatic functions in any RTS will reduce the skill gap and kill the game…

The way farming worked in the original game was clearly bugged. If you are too fast farm cannot be rebuilt because villager is standing in the way. Villager then join another farm but won’t produce any food. I can’t imagine that the game was intentionally designed like this. Idle villager button + right-click replanting would be perfect!

@Kuoting said:
I will be fine if the devs are really going to put full automatic economy…

Oh god no…