Don't fight about the details (replanting farms or not)

@EzyWin said:
The way farming worked in the original game was clearly bugged. If you are too fast farm cannot be rebuilt because villager is standing in the way. Villager then join another farm but won’t produce any food. I can’t imagine that the game was intentionally designed like this. Idle villager button + right-click replanting would be perfect!

I would be fine with this suggestion. Automatic reseeding is a no-no though.

@Crook said:
Should the elephant hunters run and build new storage pit next to more elephants instead of standing around? what about berries, should they go exploring automatically for new berry bushes? deer? hell, i guess we need to just put economy on “Automatic”. No fear newb, just pump villagers, they will do it all for you.

Sir, are you able to read properly? When did I ever talk about anything else aside farm queueing? Stop replying in such a childish way, if you cannot bring up logical arguments to support your thesis, then just avoid writing

Have you ever watched a pro AoE II match before coming here complaining about farms? Everything works perfectly fine with the farm system in AoE 2, with basically no complaint from the players. And you can clearly with a skilled player can do with awesome micro, go check TheViper’s youtube channel if you don’t believe me.
If you still wish to defend a system which is clearly disliked by most players, be my guest. I do not wish to endlessly go on arguing with you about this, I am going to like this game anyway, whatever farm system the devs decide to use. I will leave this topic now and let you play your Farming Simulator: Definitive Edition in peace. Cheers.

Arguing is moot, people. We argued before gameplay was shown to share the community’s ideas and get the general gist of what people would like. In fact, I’m pretty sure those threads are some of the largest ones on the forums…there are like, what, 3 or 4 large ones? All points that could have been made have been, in one way or another, made in existing threads. Please just put this argument to rest…we get walkable farms, and if you don’t like it, the devs happily provide a Classic Mode for you. Being salty for various reasons won’t do anything.

Also, imo, anyone screaming about an automatic economy…please, stop. That’s reductio ad absurdum and obviously it won’t happen in any way shape or form in AoE:DE.

I don’t understand why the devs make farms walkable but don’t provide automatic reseeding.

Unwalkable farms can block units, so they have tactic meanings. Changing them might effect the gameplay.
But manual reseeding is simply… an APM sink. :confused:

IMO it should be keeping farms unwalkable, but make reseeding automatic like AoE2.
I am curious that why the designers of FE make these decisions.

Well, if it comes down to walkable farms, but no auto-reseeding, I can save 20€. Non-walkability and farmer behavior is a tactic and balance thing. I would say it should be kept like the original, but I can also appreciate the Age2 farms. I’m fine with both.
But auto-reseeding is a quality of life thing. Along the lines of improved pathfinding, muliple units selection and so on. If they don’t improve the QOL to today’s standarts, there’s no point in bothering with the DE. I mean that’s what the DE is supposed to be, isn’t it, an old game in a now contemporary coat.

@GrimToadstool said:
Well, if it comes down to walkable farms, but no auto-reseeding, I can save 20€. Non-walkability and farmer behavior is a tactic and balance thing. I would say it should be kept like the original, but I can also appreciate the Age2 farms. I’m fine with both.
But auto-reseeding is a quality of life thing. Along the lines of improved pathfinding, muliple units selection and so on. If they don’t improve the QOL to today’s standarts, there’s no point in bothering with the DE. I mean that’s what the DE is supposed to be, isn’t it, an old game in a now contemporary coat.

Mmmh, I’m not sure I agree with your second part. I’m totally 100% in favor of AoE2 style farms, but I do think that there is an element of difficulty added by having to replant farms, that, while boring and monotonous, can showcase a skill difference - it’s just another thing to manage, after all. So it’s not pure QoL…but, regardless, definitely something I would personally like to see.

Not something I enjoy doing, but it’s important to recognize that it does fit into the strategy somewhere.

@Crook said:
This is laughable indeed. What has happened to the pro gamers that were not bothered by having to do something as simple as buiding another farm? Talk about “focusing” on strategy - No army or nation with no economy has ever been successful in the real world. I would expect that to be the same in a strategy game based on history of the real world. Economy is needed before, during, and after all wars. If anything the economy side of the game should be enhanced and made more difficult.

I know alot of professional aoe gamers of the past and of today would be raging mad about the farms allowing units to walk through them now. The eco runners are gonna obliterate villagers much quicker than before. I must admit, it will be fun laughing about it though :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll find that this forum is dominated by Aoe2 players, that more than anything, want another AoE2 expansion. There isn’t going to be an AoE2 expansion, so they’re screaming for AoE DE to be just like AoE2. Anyone that wants to retain the AoE style of game play will be trolled. Most of these guys that are “fighting for farm ques and walkable farms” have never played AoE.

@GrimToadstool said:
auto-reseeding is a quality of life thing. Along the lines of improved pathfinding, muliple units selection and so on. If they don’t improve the QOL to today’s standarts, there’s no point in bothering with the DE. I mean that’s what the DE is supposed to be, isn’t it, an old game in a now contemporary coat.

I have to agree with this.

In fact, I would go one further and say that the Age of Mythology approach to farms is the best one. Autoreseeding is a clumsy weird midway point. It’s strictly better than the Age 1 approach for QoL reasons, but it feels like an awkward shoe-horned way of increasing QoL without changing the mechanics much.

But permanent farms. Now that is a modern design feature.

@ZagorathAus said:

@GrimToadstool said:
auto-reseeding is a quality of life thing. Along the lines of improved pathfinding, muliple units selection and so on. If they don’t improve the QOL to today’s standarts, there’s no point in bothering with the DE. I mean that’s what the DE is supposed to be, isn’t it, an old game in a now contemporary coat.

I have to agree with this.

In fact, I would go one further and say that the Age of Mythology approach to farms is the best one. Autoreseeding is a clumsy weird midway point. It’s strictly better than the Age 1 approach for QoL reasons, but it feels like an awkward shoe-horned way of increasing QoL without changing the mechanics much.

But permanent farms. Now that is a modern design feature.

I’d say yes and no. To me all the Age of Empires games have this element of early having to micro your economy. It’s a crucial moment to know when to switch to farms in Age2, mainly because of how many upgrades you have already researched. I will say out of all the Age games, the Age2 approach is the most fun here. However, once the big fighting starts I like to have the focus on there and going back to micro your economy is tedious then. So I don’t like the unlimited farms in the early game, but I love them in the late game. Reseeding is kind of a compromise.
For example, Rise of Nations has probably the best controls and qol stuff of any RTS ever. (Paraworld aside)
In RoN however, you don’t have an engaging early economy game.

Yeah, seems we have a lot of folks that are wanting aoe de to be aoe 4 instead. Let us old pros enjoy our style of professional gaming 1 last time will ya? Simplifying everything else in order to focus on just 1 thing(microing army) is too boring for us masters of multi-tasking. I guess i could setup a few more computers and just play 4 diff games at once in order to keep things interesting.

@Sargon said:

@Crook said:
Should the elephant hunters run and build new storage pit next to more elephants instead of standing around? what about berries, should they go exploring automatically for new berry bushes? deer? hell, i guess we need to just put economy on “Automatic”. No fear newb, just pump villagers, they will do it all for you.

Sir, are you able to read properly? When did I ever talk about anything else aside farm queueing? Stop replying in such a childish way, if you cannot bring up logical arguments to support your thesis, then just avoid writing

Have you ever watched a pro AoE II match before coming here complaining about farms? Everything works perfectly fine with the farm system in AoE 2, with basically no complaint from the players. And you can clearly with a skilled player can do with awesome micro, go check TheViper’s youtube channel if you don’t believe me.
If you still wish to defend a system which is clearly disliked by most players, be my guest. I do not wish to endlessly go on arguing with you about this, I am going to like this game anyway, whatever farm system the devs decide to use. I will leave this topic now and let you play your Farming Simulator: Definitive Edition in peace. Cheers.

You ask me if i watched a pro aoe2 match? well buddy, i was a top player the first 2 months it came out, but so was every other aoe1 pro that tried it out. The game was practically automatic, Id win while sitting on the toilet, half drunk, half dead, asleep, etc.

You want aoe de to require only army micro, thats what I would expect from “pros” of aoe2. Any known pro of aoe want to simplify the difficulty of maintaining an economy in aoe de? if so, please comment and give me a reasoning that doesn’t scream “I want an easier game due to being slow and lazy”.

Childish i may be, my comments may be offensive to the easily offended. But at least I prefer to play hard rts games that require multiple levels of speed, strategy, and skill. I’d rather lose a hard game 100% of the time against those korean gamers than win a simple game 100% against “people that prefer automated ai to play for them”.

@Crook said:

@Sargon said:

@Crook said:

You ask me if i watched a pro aoe2 match? well buddy, i was a top player the first 2 months it came out, but so was every other aoe1 pro that tried it out. The game was practically automatic, Id win while sitting on the toilet, half drunk, half dead, asleep, etc.

You want aoe de to require only army micro, thats what I would expect from “pros” of aoe2. Any known pro of aoe want to simplify the difficulty of maintaining an economy in aoe de? if so, please comment and give me a reasoning that doesn’t scream “I want an easier game due to being slow and lazy”.

Childish i may be, my comments may be offensive to the easily offended. But at least I prefer to play hard rts games that require multiple levels of speed, strategy, and skill. I’d rather lose a hard game 100% of the time against those korean gamers than win a simple game 100% against “people that prefer automated ai to play for them”.

Sounds a lot of bullshit.

I’ve riddiculed this before and I will ridicule it again. If you’re the fallus comparison guy who says “Oh strategy games need to be hard, they need to require unneccesary clicks” go for a Dune2 remake, where you have to click the move button before clicking where the unit should go. No group selection, nothing just tons of micro.
It’s compeletely inconsitant to claim unneccesary micro makes the game more skill based and want to prevent resseding, yet beeing cool with multiple units selection. If I go down your route the inevitable conclusion is that and RTS game is nothing but a building-and-unit tree and should have no convenience to control it.
If you’re using the “skill” argument for arguing against just one specific thing, it’s invalid. You’ve got to go all or nothing on that.

Let me be the know it all and clear up in how far micro is important to the game.

First of all, let’s look at the situation in which a lack of mirco “dumbs down” the game. If you take Kohan for example, the game does most of the microing for you or even locks you out from doing it at all. Now, this leads to actual downtime in which you have nothing to do, but to wait for your units to arrive or the ressources to reach a certain point. So, due to a lack of micro, there’s downtime for the player. There’s clearly an argument to be made that you don’t want downtime.
(This does apply to aoe)

Now to the next level. In any situation in which there’s an equal chance for the players, the better micro should win. For example, take the early economy, which is almost the same for all players, the one who micros his workers best, micros slaugtering the sheep, micros multiple buildings to be constructed by different workers and so on - he should gain an advantage. Similar thing in an even battle, the one who micros his units better wins. While a strategy game can provide other means of resolving stalemates, micro is certainly one of them.
(This also does apply to aoe, because the intransitive unit-counter system is a key component)

The third level, and this is what Starcraft2 does, is to balance the game around unit behavior. In a nutshell, it’s possible to build units which are good at swarming the enemy with mass and other units need to be babysitted all the time, making them better if they are properly microed and worse if they aren’t. The limit between how much of these individual units you can mirco VS having to go to the convenience of massed units is the skill that the player is measured by.
This does not apply to because you need to build the game around that idea and age just isn’t build that way.

To say the lack of reseeding is so important because of skill holds no more validity than saying you should only play age when there’s a fly in your room that bugs you from time to time. And that fly is important, because it makes the game more skill based, because you now have to try to swat the fly from time to time.

Let’s face it, it’s a non-argument made up by wannabe elitists, who are soooo compeditive yet can’t adapt to “inferior” players having a convenience feature.
If you’re comming from your personal prefference or what you’ve grown used to - that’s fine, but the compeditive argument just isn’t working.

I agree with the post above. Just make automatic reseeding possible. This feature is in AOE2.

There is a game called Empires Apart where automatic reseeding is controlled by a button, turning on turning off. Is kind of interesting.

This reminds me of some of the bickering that was going on pre Starcraft Remastered. :slight_smile:

I have no idea about how small changes like this would affect multiplayer… My only 1v1 experience in the series against people was getting wrecked in AoE2… I am kinda tempted to give AoE online a go though, but will probably just stay on 4v4 noob games or whatever.

GrimToadstool made several good points about the game. I’d like to add that reseeding and making farms walkable may have been ideas Ensemble hadn’t yet considered when designing AOE. I fail to see Crook’s point and it seems that he’s more interested in bragging about his skill level (that he hasn’t proven he has) than he is in making an enjoyable strategy game.

One of the first posts also made a good point that many of us interested in the Definitive Edition are getting old and don’t want to have to unnecessarily micromanage the villagers concerning simple tasks like building farms (I’m sure most younger players would prefer that as well). While people like Crook who fear change are petitioning for AOE to be the farm-building simulator it used to be, the majority of us can enjoy managing tasks more fit for a ruler, like defending our farmers from catapults.